Cheap or not? Amazon Basics vs Connectionlab

oglio

I wanted to write about an important issue of the cables we use cause they are connected with every piece of equipment. Also, whenever I browse through this and my other favourite forums and sites on technology I come across a flamewar about is it important or necessary to invest in good HDMI cables.
I admit I've tested some of them. From monster (outrageously expensive but really good at the same time) through ConnectionLAB (found them here, decent, pretty new on the market, hard to find), supra, vampire wire, toslink and hmm, amazon basics that I bought just to find what to expect of 6$ HDMI cables.
There is a difference, it's huge and noone will convince me (or maybe, you can try;)) I took not the most expensive but a valuable, it is the other way round. How can there not be difference between a cable which is undoubtedly valuable - Connection LAB and this strange Amazon Basics cable.
I used connectionlab with a laptop (Toshiba Sattelite), Samsung TV and a digital receiver, PS3 and a blue ray player and the TV. It worked with everything, perfectly and I liked both sound and vision. The cable is made of good quality materials, which is in my opinion a key matter. Good, isolated wiring, heavy metal contacts. No doubt it will work for more than some time. It was absolutely different with amazon basics cable. Ok, it worked good with a TV and a digital receiver. I worked with PS3 (though it was not more than 1m long, so it was a little bit problematic, while Connection LAB is 15m). But when I tried to use it with blu ray player all the fun has started. I just couldnt! It didnt work, anyhow. It still doesnt work.
The sum up of my short review? Please, give me some reasonable argument why cheaper cables should be better than expensive ones.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back