(cheap) power to the people!

Have been reading on power conditioning...
What is a Power Conditioner?
So if you have high end system this is a good solution. in fact good VFM and 'must have' accessory in my opinion.
digital: internet radio through itunes streamed wirelessly to airport express, connected via analog output to amp. have exited serious digital.
Some how I have feeling digital equipments would benefit more by power conditioning.
regds.

steven steven steven, i am coming to bangalore soon for that 10km run (sunfeast). This time I will make it a point to come see your system, now with power conditioning also. Congratulations.

Hi Hitensitapara

Power conditioners in high end system does not always necessarily work. Most power conditioners IME bring about a change in the sound but may not always necessarily be better. I have had three power conditioners but have somehow not liked them in my system.

Hi Hitensitapara

Power conditioners in high end system does not always necessarily work. Most power conditioners IME bring about a change in the sound but may not always necessarily be better. I have had three power conditioners but have somehow not liked them in my system.
Oh! I Should not have gone by theory itself (I am referring to article I mentioned) as SQ perception is very subjective. :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But any idea why someone may not like the sound. After all technically speaking we are refining the power and protecting the supply to amp from interference.
regds.

Hi Hitensitapara

While all of them reduce electrical noise and thereby increase clarity, most of them do so at the expense of dynamics. This has been my experience. If i were to draw a parallel, its akin to remastering some old classics. Sound is clearer in the remastered cds but somehow the soul is missing.

very true prem. which power conditioners did you have? i remember you mentioning something on another thread. i thought the same but because of the unit not being able to supply enough power on demand. guessing its more complex than that however.

do you think an ac regenerator like the ps audio stuff will be better? so far they seem like a better bet to me, though expensive.

regards

hi thekinge,

my rig is:
lyrita audio 2A3 SET amp which am running with 45 tubes and which is being eyed by dali

vinyl: project rpm 9 turntable with sumiko bluepoint no 2 cart and speedbox with the lyrita phonostage with telefunken ecc83 tubes. every time i put a vinyl on i can feel suri's pull from the south trying to wrest it away! like the dark lord sitting in his high tower casting his eye trying to find frodo and the ring.

speakers: lyrita audio single driver 93db sensitive speakers.

digital: internet radio through itunes streamed wirelessly to airport express, connected via analog output to amp. have exited serious digital.

the power strip conditioner supposedly can't handle high power amps some reviews suggest so one would have to test it with and without. i guess this refers to huge 200+ watt amps but certainly the cdp and other components would benefit.

regards

Thanks for posting the details of your rig stevieboy. No wonder suri & dali are eyeing your rig!

steven steven steven, i am coming to bangalore soon for that 10km run (sunfeast). This time I will make it a point to come see your system, now with power conditioning also. Congratulations.

hi psychotropic,

most welcome! things are quite a mess though with nothing set up properly. living room restructuring happening cos landlord's taking back the sofas finally and i will have more space now so figuring out how to place the amps and turntables, perhaps a wall mount for tt... also the cart alignment seems to have gone a bit off in the shifting from table to table and plus its settled down now after play so a readjustment is overdue but you'll still be able to get a taste of what it sounds like though not perfectly. lemme know!

regards

edit: and while i'm content with the digital side of things, its not even half the impact of the earlier wadia + cdp. hey why not gang up with captrajesh and rajiv? they wanted to drop in too. we can check out the amitys and the russian SET amp too and make a day of it with a nice lunch someplace wot say? :)

Last edited:
Hi Hitensitapara

While all of them reduce electrical noise and thereby increase clarity, most of them do so at the expense of dynamics. This has been my experience. If i were to draw a parallel, its akin to remastering some old classics. Sound is clearer in the remastered cds but somehow the soul is missing.

Hi prem,

While a power conditioner would affect the quality of audio & video, can the change in dynamics be attributed to the power conditioner? Isn't power conditioner going to only supply clean, interference free power to the source & amplifier? I may be wrong, but it's just that I do not understand how would a power conditioner be able to influence what the various components do with the clean power it supplies?

hi psychotropic,

most welcome! things are quite a mess though with nothing set up properly. living room restructuring happening cos landlord's taking back the sofas finally and i will have more space now so figuring out how to place the amps and turntables, perhaps a wall mount for tt... also the cart alignment seems to have gone a bit off in the shifting from table to table and plus its settled down now after play so a readjustment is overdue but you'll still be able to get a taste of what it sounds like though not perfectly. lemme know!

regards

edit: and while i'm content with the digital side of things, its not even half the impact of the earlier wadia + cdp. hey why not gang up with captrajesh and rajiv? they wanted to drop in too. we can check out the amitys and the russian SET amp too and make a day of it with a nice lunch someplace wot say? :)

iaudio and I are due to show up in bangalore sometime in june (latter part) -
why not we all gang up?

hi psychotropic,

most welcome! .....

why not we all gang up?

Can I join you guys too:)?

Hi Stevieboy

I have had 3 power conditioners.

Shunyata Hydra

Powerwing

RSA Haley

I have only heard PS Audio regenerator. It was in Singapore when i hunting for a power conditioner. I preferred the Shunyata Hydra to it. The PS Audio sounded clinical to my ears. Logically a regenerator should sound better but it does not always. I am guessing it may have to do with the voicing of the amps and sources by the designer. They, i presume, would have done it with raw power.

Of the 3 power conditioners i have had, Powerwing was the best.

thanks prem,

will read up on these. good to know all conditioners don't have a positive effect. guessing i can safely end my conditioning at an isolation transformer and not spend too much! did you have these with your set amp or was it a higher powered push pull amp? you used to have the vtl was it?

regards

why not we all gang up?

yup! we'll have a kannur meet in bangalore! :) time space travel! unfortunately psychotropic is doing a run lola run and he has a fixed date 23rd of this month. maybe if he and the chennai gang want to also make a bangalore trip again in june to do the rounds of some systems here and generally meet up...

regards

Can I join you guys too:)?

of course you're default included buddy!!! :) we'll start a thread around that time and see who else wants to join in the kannur-meet-in-bangalore :D

by the way suri if you interested in a turntable after the dual fiasco, lemme know. a pal has a project little higher than entry level model for sale will fit you perfectly. bout 15k with a rondo red cart. your sis/cousin? can probably pick it up in pune or he can ship it from bombay to pune. if you interested i can call him and see if its still for sale and figure out details. and then i can take you to a lp place here and get your car packed with some yummy lps!

regards

Hi Stevieboy

I had the Dehavilland SET amp. None of the power conditioners worked well with them. With the JC1s, the Powerwing was the best. With the Rowlands, the Shunyata was better. So i guess even PCs are system dependent. I have never owned a VTL

Balanced power is a good option. Thats what i use for my front end. I have a BPT isolation transformer which gives balanced power. It was custom made. The ones they sell all have filtering and surge protection. Mine has no switches, filtering or surge protectors. Its just a Plitron isolation transformer with balanced power.

hi prem,

in another post you've mentioned the cost is some $599. is this cos its custom made and they've omitted the filtering and surge protection? cos their lowest model is bout $1000. was just talking to viren yesterday evening and asked him about isolation transformer and he mentioned a balanced one. will prob see if murthy locally can make one. so you're saying it will take out the noise even though there's no filtering incorporated? or will sound better?

regards

IMPORTANT UPDATE

had some relaxed time today so switched out the tacima and put in the earlier belkin power strip a simple power strip with no filtering or anything. i did this cos hazy shade of winter by the bangles seemed to have lost some of its drive and bounce. the guitars have got a driving maniacal force to them and somehow it seemed tamer through the tacima.

with the belkin in place the drive returned and the music was well more musical, more enjoyable. with the tacima its clearer, quieter and you hear things more clearly but there's some degree of sterility/artificialness to the sound. its like a crab curry rice (belkin) where you get your hands dirty make a mess stain your face but have a totally satisfied paisa vasool time versus a five star hotel (tacima) where everything is spic and span the waiters polished your dish served fancily arranged on your plate but somehow you miss the homemade dig into goodness of your neighbourhood favourite eatery.

quite a devilish choice but these are the differences i've found so far. i also put the tacima on a wood strip to lift it from the ground, sounded quite sluggish and slow, then i put spikes under the wood, pointing down and it sounded better.

i tend to agree with prem. conditioners can clear up the sound but there's no guarantee that it's all for the better.

will listen some more, let the tacima have some play time and then post if things change.

the good thing is it quite clearly demonstrated what clean power can do for your system. the big question is what will do it? :D i'll be looking at an iso trans balanced from murthy soon. i had almost ordered one couple of years back but he didn't have the cabinets ready so that fell through...

edit: the belkin power strip has surge protection

Is it possible to get stabilizer and balanced isolation transformer in a single box to save space?
Noida's power supply has become very unstable and fluctuates all the time in last few days.

Is it possible to get stabilizer and balanced isolation transformer in a single box to save space?

Hi Anm,

Contact Audire,I think they make them,or will make them on order.

I recall Sharath mentioning this in an email a while back.

Regards
Rajiv

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back