Cheapie Interconnects and Speaker Cables

psychotropic

To all you lovely people who've tolerated my very long and winding quest for a modest hi fi setup, I ask you to indulge my love for researching things before buying them by suggesting budget-ish stereo interconnects. I do have a perverse desire to research every purchase to death, and sometimes i think i am more interested in the research than the actual purchase, which is why i am doing so much searching for such a cheap setup.

Currently I have a 600 buck basic bandridge IC, but when my amp and speakers do come in, I want to invest in a slightly better one (and maybe if i get an NAD C320BEE use the bandridge between the pre and power sections), so would something like Chord Crimson - cheapest price 33 pounds for a metre, (2600 INR) be total overkill?

Other (and cheaper) options include the QED Qunex 2 (13 pounds - 1000 bucks), Qunex 3 (20 pounds - 1600 bucks), QED performance audio 1 - (25 pounds- 2100 bucks), or the QED performance audio 2 for 30 pounds (30 pounds - 2400 bucks)

Have any of you heard any of these? Are there are any other ICs in the 2500 and below price range I should consider? Am i being a daft p**** by even thinking of spending 2500 on ICs?

I do understand that I should ideally audition cables and ICs in my setup before buying them, but that's unlikely to be feasible for me, which is why I am trying to just wing it on reviews and opinions :p

Coming to speaker cables, after reading many discussions here I am actually considering getting the Finolex 4 sq. mm wire for the speakers, and I am planning to use them as bare-wire. Does this sounds like a good idea? Should I consider some other cheap alternatives? Should I terminate them? any benefit?

This would lead to lots of views split between pro/con and sometimes taking religious fervour.

In my system and for my hearing, a good quality and low cost option has worked well. There is obviously a bigger impact due to analogue interconnects vs. digital ones. I have been happy with Blue Jeans cable, Signal Belkin PureAV and Audioquest (used all models till diamondback).

I have heard Bainbridge and it sounded well but not in my setup.

Now for the hard part, I have heard Kimber, Tara and Cardas a while ago in my system when in the US. Some of these were ~150 for 1 m. I did not hear a signficant difference that would have made me want to buy it.

A bigger impact is if it is copper vs. silver. That affects the pairing more than anything else.

To all you lovely people who've tolerated my very long and winding quest for a modest hi fi setup, I ask you to indulge my love for researching things before buying them by suggesting budget-ish stereo interconnects. I do have a perverse desire to research every purchase to death, and sometimes i think i am more interested in the research than the actual purchase, which is why i am doing so much searching for such a cheap setup.

Currently I have a 600 buck basic bandridge IC, but when my amp and speakers do come in, I want to invest in a slightly better one (and maybe if i get an NAD C320BEE use the bandridge between the pre and power sections), so would something like Chord Crimson - cheapest price 33 pounds for a metre, (2600 INR) be total overkill?

Other (and cheaper) options include the QED Qunex 2 (13 pounds - 1000 bucks), Qunex 3 (20 pounds - 1600 bucks), QED performance audio 1 - (25 pounds- 2100 bucks), or the QED performance audio 2 for 30 pounds (30 pounds - 2400 bucks)

Have any of you heard any of these? Are there are any other ICs in the 2500 and below price range I should consider? Am i being a daft p**** by even thinking of spending 2500 on ICs?

I do understand that I should ideally audition cables and ICs in my setup before buying them, but that's unlikely to be feasible for me, which is why I am trying to just wing it on reviews and opinions :p

Coming to speaker cables, after reading many discussions here I am actually considering getting the Finolex 4 sq. mm wire for the speakers, and I am planning to use them as bare-wire. Does this sounds like a good idea? Should I consider some other cheap alternatives? Should I terminate them? any benefit?

hi psychotropic,

i use viren's interconnects and speaker cables. in my system they sounded the best out of audioquest king cobra and a pair of straightwire. the straightwire and viren's were closer in terms of sound, the audioquest was quite laidback and seemed to lack some sparkle and detail. but in another system, another pair of cables did better than viren's. so pure reviews is gonna be quite fun for you :p suggest you get your gear and ask around for a loaner to check out with your system. plenty of hogwash going around regarding this particular accessory. system matching is the best way to find what works best for you.

regards

I think a CA Azur reference 0.75mtr should do the trick. No need to spend more than 3K for sure.

PS: I spent 3.6K :)

Cheers

that would definitely have been ideal, but i don't really have hi fi loving friends in chennai from whom i can borrow ICs or cables.

so pure reviews is gonna be quite fun for you :p suggest you get your gear and ask around for a loaner to check out with your system.
regards

Hai Psycho,

Try Monster IC with Monster RCA, sold by MX it is avbl at Vinsun Agencies, Ritchie st, Chennai. Good VFM. It costs Rs.600/- for a metre incl RCA connectors. Sounds very transparent.

N Murali.

Would this be better than or comparable to the Bandridge IC that costs the same?

Hai Psycho,

Try Monster IC with Monster RCA, sold by MX it is avbl at Vinsun Agencies, Ritchie st, Chennai. Good VFM. It costs Rs.600/- for a metre incl RCA connectors. Sounds very transparent.

N Murali.

i've read that "silver" ICs and cables have a particular trebley (brittle?) sound, is this one of those?

@cranky - i've not done any DIY work so far and don't have easy access to Bombay based suppliers. That's why I am thinking of buying readymade cables. Since you suggest terminating I'll probably get them pre-terminated, rather than try and do it myself.

However, the Blue Jeans site (which I just saw) seems to recommend bare-wire talking about how the lack of the cable-termination interface might be useful, how does this weigh against the risk of tarnishing?

Hi Psycho:

Since you're bringing down speaker cables and IC from UK. Have a look at this before taking the plunge.

SILVER HIGH BREED Synergy 2i Interconnects (0.30m Pr) on eBay (end time 17-Aug-09 18:22:15 BST)

I'm planning to bring down Synergy 2i (0.50m Pair) IC from UK.

i've read that "silver" ICs and cables have a particular trebley (brittle?) sound, is this one of those?

The SPEED & DETAIL RETRIEVAL ABILITY of SILVER combined with the POWER of Oxygen-Free COPPER in producing a SUPERB BASS RESPONSE. The usual Copper harshness has been eliminated by the thick Silver plating - Amazingly breathtaking airy highs, transparent midrange and solid, well-defined, tight bass. The thick & pure silver plating helps in revealing even the most subtle/hidden details and improves soundstage height, width & depth resulting in a stunning 3-D soundstage. The vocals and drums can be heard right in the middle, in between the speakers and the rest of the instruments are clearly audible that blends into one. In other words, it is like sitting in the front seat of a live concert or 'a sense of being there' experience. The synergy between your speakers and power amp or integrated amp will surely improve and make them perform to their utmost regardless of their price by these silver & copper "hybrid" conductors. Hence, the name SILVER HIGH BREED.

Thanks for that, I think I have the one-step-higher Bandridge one, the one with the gold-plated RCA connectors. Maybe when you do come over to my place (which should ideally now be once I have the setup in place :) ) we can compare your monster and the bandridge!

Hai Psycho,

I have the Bandridge AL412(Rs.250/-) and compared to Monster the latter sounds good.

Thanks,

N Murali

I use DH Labs Silver Sonic BL -1 wire which is available in bulk, and then solder them to RCA's myself, which is quite easy.

At this vendor they are $4 a foot.

DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1 Series II Interconnect at ACI

the cable is sold per foot per single lenght correct

that means for an interconnect pair you would require double the lenght correct?
in effect 8$/foot
is my assumption correct

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back