Chennai Music festival - Where to stay?

gobble

Hello HiFiChennaiVision members

I am planning to make weekend trips for the Carnatic festival beginning this month. I seek your recommendations for places to stay, preferably away from traffic noise.

The places I plan to visit are

1. Sadhguru Gnanananda hall 314 TTK road
2. Smt Sivagami Petchachi Auditorium, Luz church Road
3. RamaRao Kala Mandap Auditorium, 111 Habibullah road, T Nagar
4. Sri YGP Auditorium, 16 Thirumalai Road, T Nagar
5. Dr. Nalli Gana Vihar, 20 Maharajapuram Santhanam Salai, T Nagar
6. Bharata Kalakshetra Auditorium, Tiruvanmiyur

Some recommendations by easy train trip or about 20 rupees by rickshaw.
will be appreciated.

Also please advice on easiest way for me to buy tickets in Bangalore.

Edit: Budget for hotel is preferably around 700/-.

TIA
Regards

Hi,

Best & decent place is almost centre to all indicated location is.Hotel New Woodlands. But Slightly a higher budget, you will have good vegetarian food. Walkable distance to Naradha Gana Sabha/ Just a 10 to 15 minutes walk to Luz Church road or Rs.20 by Auto and Rs.25 to 30 depending on your negotiating skills by Auto to T.Nagar.

To Bharath Kalashetra Auditorium you can catch a bus ( 29C) just front of the Hotel and get down at Adyar Busstand and take a auto for Rs.20 to Rs.30.

Still you need a tighter budget in hotel, kindly let me know, but slightly faraway from indicated places and you will end up paying more auto charges, as chennai is famous for auto looting....

Regards

I will just revert back to you after checking some places in citi centre. However in city centre generaly it will be of 12noon. Near to central station/ egmore station mostly all the budget hotels are of 24hrs check out.

Can I know your exact date of visits to chennai, will check out for some known guest house also near to this place ...

Regards

Srini

Last edited:
I will just revert back to you after checking some places in citi centre. However in city centre generaly it will be of 12noon. Near to central station/ egmore station mostly all the budget hotels are of 24hrs check out.

Can I know your exact date of visits to chennai, will check out for some known guest house also near to this place ...

Regards

Srini

Srini

Really appreciate your attention to this, but please do not run around on my behalf. I just want some pointers, that I can research on the net and book. I dont mind 25min train journey if there is a good place slightly farther off in a residential area not near bus stand. Below 1000/- inclusive of Tax is a stretchable idea.

I plan to come on 19th 25th and 1st, all weekends and leaving early monday.

Cheers

I seek your recommendations for places to stay, preferably away from traffic noise.

Also please advice on easiest way for me to buy tickets in Bangalore.

TIA
Regards

Not the answer

Last edited:
You can book tickets online at ksrtc.in if planning to use Bus. I used to travel in ABT ABTxTravels :: Online Bus Tickets - India's Leading Company, Making Travel Easier there service was good (2 Years ago) and comfortable

If travelling by Train then recommend irctc.co.in, All you need in is an Printed copy of ticket and some sort of identity to prove yourself.

I was talking about program tickets for the performance not travel tickets :)

But hey thanks for volunteering info all the same :clapping:

Cheers

wave.gif

I've still got some hang over left it seems :D

Hi,

General Link to the website : Events,Music,Drama,Sports and Movies at TicketNew, India's Entertainment Ticketing Guide, Buy movie ticket in chennai banglore, Online movie ticket booking, buy Kandasamy movie tickets, buy kandasamy cinema ticktes online

Specific page of the website for the concert booking: Buy Katcheri music Tickets Online, Book music Ticket chennai - Katcheri , music review on www.ticketnew.com

On the above Link ticketing for 2 places of concerts were covered , since i am an regular user of this site.

1) Smt Sivagami Petchachi Auditorium, Luz church Road
2) Sri YGP Auditorium, 16 Thirumalai Road, T Nagar

Pending details will update tommorow.

For accomadation given link have some paying accomadation details specific to Kutchery season..Can try your luck by calling them. In that Hotel Karpagam in the bottom is given, it is also good and near to Mylapore Tank. Best place for stay if you get cheaper room.
December Season 2009

Last edited:
Hi,

General Link to the website : Events,Music,Drama,Sports and Movies at TicketNew, India's Entertainment Ticketing Guide, Buy movie ticket in chennai banglore, Online movie ticket booking, buy Kandasamy movie tickets, buy kandasamy cinema ticktes online

Specific page of the website for the concert booking: Buy Katcheri music Tickets Online, Book music Ticket chennai - Katcheri , music review on www.ticketnew.com

On the above Link ticketing for 2 places of concerts were covered , since i am an regular user of this site.

1) Smt Sivagami Petchachi Auditorium, Luz church Road
2) Sri YGP Auditorium, 16 Thirumalai Road, T Nagar

Pending details will update tommorow.

For accomadation given link have some paying accomadation details specific to Kutchery season..Can try your luck by calling them. In that Hotel Karpagam in the bottom is given, it is also good and near to Mylapore Tank. Best place for stay if you get cheaper room.
December Season 2009

Thank you very much Srini. Will review the sites again tomorrow morning and let you know. Then I need to decide finally which concerts to attend on which day .. :)

Regards

Hi Gobble,
Nice to know you'll be attending some concerts. Avoid YGP auditorium concerts as it has one of the worst acoustics, sort of open hall kinda thing. Attended a concert of TMk couple of years ago and it was an irritating experience for him and for the audience.

Hello Gobble,

chennaiyil thiruvaiyaru is going to happen on Kamaraj Arangam.If you intereseted in this concert i can check it out about the tickets.If you decide "Hotel karpagam" in mylapore that also i can check one of my friend is working there.

Regards,

Naseer

Hello Gobble,

chennaiyil thiruvaiyaru is going to happen on Kamaraj Arangam.If you intereseted in this concert i can check it out about the tickets.If you decide "Hotel karpagam" in mylapore that also i can check one of my friend is working there.

Regards,

Naseer

Hello Naseer
This is an 8 day event isnt it? The only option for me is the 19th and 20th, and I am keen some specific evening concerts on these dates as well. But I'm quite keen on attending the vocal recital by Saindhavi at 1PM. How do I get to Kamaraja Hall from Mylapore?

Will I need tickets for the event before 6pm?

And yes I will be interested in booking a single room in Karpagam for the 19th and 20th. Is it 24hrs checkout?

Regards

Avoid YGP auditorium concerts as it has one of the worst acoustics, sort of open hall kinda thing. Attended a concert of TMk couple of years ago and it was an irritating experience for him and for the audience.
Attended a few concerts there last year, as we were given a ticket. I think it must have improved. It is one of the louder places, but there are far, far worse for general sound quality.

How do I get to Kamaraja Hall from Mylapore?

Will I need tickets for the event before 6pm?

And yes I will be interested in booking a single room in Karpagam for the 19th and 20th. Is it 24hrs checkout?

Regards
...by auto. Kamaraj hall is an enormous auditorium where you may feel a long way away from the artists. I prefer to avoid it for that reason. Of course, if one wants to see a particular performace, then there is no choice.

Most of the morning/early-afternoon performances are free, but cannot say for any one specific event. If you look in the listings, there is a code: "All are welcome" means free!

Karpagam would be a good choice; it is a great area to stay in. It is central to nearly all the season events. Likely to be booked up, recommend you accept the help to get a room there ASAP!

Last edited:
Attended a few concerts there last year, as we were given a ticket. I think it must have improved. It is one of the louder places, but there are far, far worse for general sound quality.

...by auto. Kamaraj hall is an enormous auditorium where you may feel a long way away from the artists. I prefer to avoid it for that reason. Of course, if one wants to see a particular performace, then there is no choice.

Most of the morning/early-afternoon performances are free, but cannot say for any one specific event. If you look in the listings, there is a code: "All are welcome" means free!

Karpagam would be a good choice; it is a great area to stay in. It is central to nearly all the season events. Likely to be booked up, recommend you accept the help to get a room there ASAP!

Thanks. Just called Karpagam - it is full for the 19th and 20th. Any other suggestions?

My plan for the 19th/20th is

1. Kamaraja Hall
2. Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Main Hall
3. Narada Gana Sabha (Mini Hall)
4. Rani Seethai Hall, Anna Salai
5. The Music Academy 168, T.T.K.Road, Chennai-14

I'm a total stranger to Chennai. Which hotel would you recommend central to these locations?

Edit: Actually there are a lot of link on KutcheriBuzz. will try them. Sorry for bothering you folks needlessly :)

TIA
Regards

Last edited:
Try Ram Guest house -->contact details

This is in Royapettah. They have another guest house just down the road, a few minutes closer to Mylapore.

I stayed there a couple of times, several weeks each, before I got my own place in Chennai. It is close enough for all the music stuff.

Try to stick with Mylapore, Royapettah, T. Nagar, Alwarpet areas --- but Chennai is not such a big city: just stick to the Southern side of central, and you can't go wrong.

I am also suppose to mention the same guest house, since i live in avvai shanmugam salai... Ok to stay here, however trying my luck to get an apartment for you, apartment below my floor where i am living used as an guest house for an company... Tommorow i will PM you the owner number of the flat and he is living in Banglore, can call and fix it if he agrees.

Regards

Hi Gobble,

I have asked my friend about room in Karpagam and i will update status once i got it.Coming Sat i will enquire 2 hotels near kamaraj arangam and i will give the status.Regarding chennai dont worry about and i will assist you to go all the place once you have landed in chennai.If possible i will come with you for all the places so dont worry about travelling in chennai.

Regards,

Naseer

Srini and Naseer

You folks are so generous. I'm almost embarrassed. I really didn't expect you folks to take any trouble beyond some surfing to check facts or checking with people you know verbally.

I actually booked a room in Hotel Ram as Thad had suggested last night.

My deepest appreciation to both of you for going out of the way. I would certainly love to meet you folks once there and attend some concerts with you. :)

Kind Regards

Try Ram Guest house -->contact details

This is in Royapettah. They have another guest house just down the road, a few minutes closer to Mylapore.

I stayed there a couple of times, several weeks each, before I got my own place in Chennai. It is close enough for all the music stuff.

Try to stick with Mylapore, Royapettah, T. Nagar, Alwarpet areas --- but Chennai is not such a big city: just stick to the Southern side of central, and you can't go wrong.

I booked a room in Ram. How do I reach there from Railway station? Edit: I mean the most cost-effective comfortable way without getting ripped off by auto-wallahs. I dont mind local train.

TIA
Regards

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back