Chepaest stereo integrated with good SQ

tomonpublic

This is for my friend. He is looking for a cheapest stereo integrated which produces good/decent SQ.

Any DIY/unbranded amps that needs to be considered. If not, he may buy a used pm5005

I will second Norge amplifiers. Either 2060 or gold1000. What speakers does he have?

I will second Norge amplifiers. Either 2060 or gold1000. What speakers does he have?
@tuff how do you rate Onkyo Tx-8020 except its lower power output than Norge 1000. Both in same price range.onkyo is having tuner, phono input and sub out. Tx-8220 is again loaded with digital input and preout. I hardly find people recommending onkyo despite of it being feature rich and cheaply priced.

@tuff how do you rate Onkyo Tx-8020 except its lower power output than Norge 1000. Both in same price range.onkyo is having tuner, phono input and sub out. Tx-8220 is again loaded with digital input and preout. I hardly find people recommending onkyo despite of it being feature rich and cheaply priced.
I have not heard the Onkyo model mentioned above, But what I can give is a comparision between yamaha RXv 477 and Norge 100 gold paired with Yamaha8390 speakers. The Norge simply blew away the Yamaha AVR even though rated higher in wattage and loads of frills. The Yamaha avr sounded way too bright when paired with the 8390's and bass was not tight enough. Norge really controlled the speakers with authority. And the shrill highs disappeared. So getting the right amp can make a world of difference, even with not so popular 8390 speakers.

Which suits better for WD 220? 1000 or 2060?

Depends on the room size ...Hence volume levels which he will listen too ...accordingly amp will use more power as u crank up the volume ...

WD 220 specs says 25 to 100 w ....hence even Norge 2060 should be enough ....

But if room size is big and he listens to music in loud volumes then additional power from Norge 1000 will help to some extent .

Try to do an audition if possible and then decide .

Depends on the room size ...Hence volume levels which he will listen too ...accordingly amp will use more power as u crank up the volume ...

WD 220 specs says 25 to 100 w ....hence even Norge 2060 should be enough ....

But if room size is big and he listens to music in loud volumes then additional power from Norge 1000 will help to some extent .

Try to do an audition if possible and then decide .

My experience is somewhat different. I always had +ve experience with the higher watt ones. Higher watt doesnt mean loudness simply. When you have more power the speakers will sound quite linear even at lowest volume levels. The noticeable difference immediately is the absense of bass at lower volumes in less powerful ones. Some amps have a 'loudness' button to compensate this effect by immediately boosting some bass and treble to use it at lower volumes. But since its some kind of eq gimmick most of the time, it ends up sounding unnatural.

Another difference is with higher watt amps become comfortable in imaging and planting objects at right places in the soundstage. In my experience the sound stage on less watt ones are always a line in front you. This has something to do with the extension on both ends of the spectrum they offer in relation to the midrange. a lower watt one will have a 3d soundstage at small area of loudness. When you have more power this stays composed even at louder levels.

the lower powered ones in comparison lacks tightness in sound at lower loudness levels, you need to crank them up the get a good sound and their comfortable level (before its looses the control) is very less. If you can afford, get the higher power ratings of the same kind of amp.

I am not comparing a Class A or a tube amp with few watts with a solid state A/ B of another brand here. Again it depends on how they are designed.

Bottonline : 2060 is enough (decent, ; 1000 will be better (dynamic, 3 dimensional, composed) They both can be equally loud to uncomfortable levels. The higher powered one would be composed even at that loudness.

This is for my friend. He is looking for a cheapest stereo integrated which produces good/decent SQ.

Any DIY/unbranded amps that needs to be considered. If not, he may buy a used pm5005
Both Norge 1000 or 2060 will be good, but the1000 has more power which can be of help sometime in the future. Marantz PM5005 can/ may compete with Norge 2060, but not with 1000. Sound signature of Norge and Marantz are more or less equal. To my ears Norge amps sound open and neutral, whereras Marantz is neutral but not that open as Norge.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back