child proofing speakers

Hello folks,
reviving this old thread. Would appreciate it if you folks could share any tips or products to cordon off an equipment rack and bookshelf speakers (on stands) from the prying hands and general inquisitiveness of a toddler. I am afraid of the danger in the speakers tipping over or some mishap of the sort. Any sort of rails (maybe something a metre high) or any other products that could make me keep my system layout as is or should I place everything on top of a longish table which ideally I wouldn't want to do? The inputs on this thread are more with regard to protecting speaker grills but I would like to cordon off the entire area if possible. Thanks for your inputs in advance.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I just got home a pair of B&W 640 floor standers and have a 1.5 yr old kid at home. Pls pls tell me whatever ideas you have for protecting the speakers from becoming a victim of an inquisitive son.. I was cautioned against floorstanders, was told to put it off till he is older,,but I couldnt wait. Now that I am in it, pls give me some urgent suggestions. As of now the speakers stand facing the wall :( yes laugh all you can..

Anxious madjack
I think floorstanders are more stable than standmounters. Both are still risky. Strong and sturdy metal arms from walls plus bookshelves are the safest option. Don’t let cables hanging down from them though.

I think floorstanders are more stable than standmounters. Both are still risky. Strong and sturdy metal arms from walls plus bookshelves are the safest option. Don’t let cables hanging down from them though.
thanks and I appreciate your inputs. I would "ideally" like to barricade and cage the entire length of 10 ft or so inside which the speakers and rack remain, to a height of 1 mtr from the floor so they are positioned as they were.

Last edited:
I was looking at similar products but the slight worry is how to bolster them to the floor/wall. Hope supplied hinges are enough. This seems my best bet so far. Many thanks.

The only idea I could think of is iron/aluminium frames the size of speakers encompassing them entirely, and being bottom heavy. The holes being small enough so that tiny hands don't pass through.

The only idea I could think of is iron/aluminium frames the size of speakers encompassing them entirely, and being bottom heavy. The holes being small enough so that tiny hands don't pass through.
thanks. speakers are bookshelves so stands also need to be barricaded. and the rack on which the amp and preamp etc are, is also open shelves.

Hi Guys,
I just got home a pair of B&W 640 floor standers and have a 1.5 yr old kid at home. Pls pls tell me whatever ideas you have for protecting the speakers from becoming a victim of an inquisitive son.. I was cautioned against floorstanders, was told to put it off till he is older,,but I couldnt wait. Now that I am in it, pls give me some urgent suggestions. As of now the speakers stand facing the wall :( yes laugh all you can..

Anxious madjack
I have a 1 year old and my biggest problem is him going to explore the speakers while they're playing, can damage the hearing...

I don't have a solution, just added another problem to solve...

My brothers son purred glass of water in my Subwoofer side ventilator open while he was playing :):).
May be he sees my subwoofer like water cane :) . And perfectly looked for opens in the side and poured water.
Water reached till amp circuit.
Luckily it was not switched on that time , then i kept it dry for 2 weeks then switched on.
My fortunate it worked fine without any issues.

Also i kept my AVR not reach of his level , he used to jump little and turn the volume up , because of that my AMP volume knob damaged!!

Probably can convert this thread to funny moments by kids!! :):)( though it hurt us inside ;))

Moral of the story is : If you try to protect your equipment maximum kids may tamper it with their mischief!!

My brothers son purred glass of water in my Subwoofer side ventilator open while he was playing :):).
May be he sees my subwoofer like water cane :) . And perfectly looked for opens in the side and poured water.
Water reached till amp circuit.
Luckily it was not switched on that time , then i kept it dry for 2 weeks then switched on.
My fortunate it worked fine without any issues.

Also i kept my AVR not reach of his level , he used to jump little and turn the volume up , because of that my AMP volume knob damaged!!

Probably can convert this thread to funny moments by kids!! :):)( though it hurt us inside ;))

Moral of the story is : If you try to protect your equipment maximum kids may tamper it with their mischief!!
Scary and hilarious at the same time :D

I have had my cousins kid throw a rubber ball at a 6 months old LCD TV back in 2008 and miss the target , a mobile thrown in water to see if it swims like a fish and what not. Have not had a kid visit my house since i setup speakers, but we ourselves accidentally tumbled a bookshelf , luckily only cosmetic damage at the edge.

I bought a mini Aiwa cd/cassette player stereo system in 2000. Years later my toddler son along with his same age cousin put dozen of coins inside the speakers.
I still have that system though son had broken cassette player part years ago. And the coins are also still inside both speakers. :D
And couple of years back when I got focal 1038 speakers my younger son who was 3 years old then got quite "interested" in BE tweeters. But thankfully I was able to make him understand and he kept away, so far.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back