Chinese TVs snooping on us?

chronos

Came across this on protocol.com

I don’t have a problem believing this considering the surveillance CCP runs on its citizens inside China and dissidents abroad, among other things.

Is anyone else surprised?

Link to the article.

119EFEDA-1721-4F52-B83F-F120990C13DF.jpeg

Link to the article.

I am not surprised, they can go to any length to snoop on us. We need a Certification body that will evaluate all Chinese Electronics/IoT products for their Security Compliance. We are trading Privacy for Cheap Products.

I have nothing to hide.. They can steal all my info and target me with tv series and movies which I may enjoy..
Don’t think they collect data for benign reasons :p It could be used for snooping and altering behavior covertly

May be unrelated but, I had read about an incident where hackers got control of a TV camera and made video of intimate moments of a couple.

But what is certain is that Chinese would have access to Camera and Microphone of your TV, that can be taken advantage of depending upon what diplomatic, business or political standing you have.

Redmi & Oppo phones with stock firmwares connect to a lot of chinese domains. You can use a ad-blocker like pi-hole to restrict them. Same would be applicable for TVs as well

I would be surprised if any one actually thought a China made electronics product wouldn't spy on them! For a control-freak entity such as the China Communist Party, things like privacy of others is least of their concern. They want control, at any price.

I would be surprised if any one actually thought a China made electronics product wouldn't spy on them! For a control-freak entity such as the China Communist Party, things like privacy of others is least of their concern. They want control, at any price.
Absolutely true. Even perception is of very high importance for China. They go to any lengths to control the narrative. And they have about 2million people working in various government and private entities across the world.

Absolutely true. Even perception is of very high importance for China. They go to any lengths to control the narrative. And they have about 2million people working in various government and private entities across the world.
That shows their own insecurity towards others rather than cultivating friendship & trust in a more positive & honest manner.

That shows their own insecurity towards others rather than cultivating friendship & trust in a more positive & honest manner.
No wonder they have alienated even staunchest of their allies - Australia, New Zealand. It would have been inconceivable till a few years ago to think that nations like Aus/NZ could have a political fall out with China. But here we are!

There is no alternate "Viable" option. Got to gulp it down and continue to order :cool:
For big ticket items theres always an option.

Since the border conflict - I've bought a Samsung Phone assembled in India. A Samsung TV made in Vietnam and Schiit DAC made in USA. I'll be upgrading my DAC to Chord one at some stage which is made in the UK.

For big ticket items theres always an option.

Since the border conflict - I've bought a Samsung Phone assembled in India. A Samsung TV made in Vietnam and Schiit DAC made in USA. I'll be upgrading my DAC to Chord one at some stage which is made in the UK.

Lucky you liked or can afford a Samsung phone or American DAC. The problem is that supply chain is to be disrupted for a change to happen. I started shopping on Aliexpress only after I saw that Amazon India was filled with same items which double or triple the cost. Why should I pay extra for the stuff that I can import at a fraction myself? Even Parts-Express in US was filled with Chinese stuff.

I thought about it a lot if I should consider boycotting Chinese stuff. My mindvoice was: Indian Government does not have any issues about it (It could have easily imposed a trade ban on moral grounds). I see that vast majority of the India business community has no qualms about importing from China (circumventing some bans by importing from shell companies setup in Taiwan). The IT bigshots whose donation to various charities have been spoken about as nobility in social media did not wind up their branches in China. Why should i let my conscience bother about it when the rest care a zilch and merrily profiteer?

I dumping Chinese goods to a costlier alternative would impact my personal finances. At a philosophical level, I do want to think that my contribution, even if it is a tiny bit, would make a statement. But, I would prefer serious policy making from Government over kid glove punches from a mango man's wallet.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back