Choosing a Sony LED

narialtaster

I bought a 40 inch Bravia LCD (KLV-40W450A) in 2009. Around 6 months ago a glitch appeared in the LCD panel and I gave it to the service center for repairs after approving an exorbitant estimate. To cut a long story short, after a customer service nightmare during which I was repeatedly stonewalled by the service center representatives and given false assurances I wrote some stern emails and have now been offered a brand new LCD at the cost of the repairs (Rs 17600). I have been offered a choice between two LCDs, the KLV-40CX420 and KLV-40NX520. I am now tempted to get an LED instead and they have agreed to give me one if I pay the price difference. However, I am confused as to which one I should get. I want to stick to the 40 inch size. I am not keen on 3D but am considering a few 3D models as they might have better viewing experience overall. I watch a lot of HD content so that is a consideration too. Here are the models that I am looking at.

KDL-40EX520
From my research it seems that this has a rather limited refresh rate of 50 Hz. I don't know much about TV tech specs but this seems to be a drawback. Am I right or is it something that is negligible?

KDL-40EX720/KDL-40NX720
I am not interested in this because of the 3D but am wondering whether it has a better viewing experience than the EX520. Also, what is the difference between the 40EX720 and 40NX720? Is the latter a better buy given that the price difference between the two is one Rs 10,000?

KDL-46HX925
This is a long shot (it's too damn expensive!!!) but I read that Sony is going to discontinue its HX line and not make Dynamic Edge LED TVs. Given this, is it a good idea to bite the bullet and get one or will a better technology come in the near future?

Also, is this a good time to get a Sony Bravia or should I wait for the 2012 models to be launched?

I know that these are a lot of questions but would really appreciate it if you guys could help me make a decision! Thanks.

I would say go with the EX520. There isn't a very wide difference between EX520 and EX720 except Motion (which is also not a night and day difference)

You would be satisfied with the EX520. :)

If you can stretch your budget then getting the NX720 would be sensible. It has better PQ than EX520/EX720 and also good 3D.

As for HX925, first thing it is not being discontinued. Only the Hx820 will be discontinued and replaced with HX850. The HX925 will continue through 2012 unchanged.

If you can wait though I would suggest you go for the HX850. It is still an EDGE LED TV but Sony have come out with great improvements and overall PQ wise it is a significant improvement over 2011 EDGE LED models in all areas be it black level, contrast, colors, motion and most importantly 3D thanks to new 3D algorithm in the 2012 X-Reality Pro engine.

I own a KDL-40NX720 and when I did my research before purchasing it, I found it slightly better than EX520 in terms of picture quality. However I would say 3D feature of NX720 is not so exciting as compared to LG's 3D Cinema TVs.
But as you're looking for Sony only, I would say go for NX720 instead of EX720 because it has got a monolithic design and also you don't have to purchase extra wireless intrument to enable internet services. (That may cost you minimum Rs. 3000). Yet Rs. 10000 difference is worth because NX720 has great picture quality, amazing wirelss internet feature and also it looks beautiful even when it is switched off.

I bought a 40 inch Bravia LCD (KLV-40W450A) in 2009. Around 6 months ago a glitch appeared in the LCD panel and I gave it to the service center for repairs after approving an exorbitant estimate. To cut a long story short, after a customer service nightmare during which I was repeatedly stonewalled by the service center representatives and given false assurances I wrote some stern emails and have now been offered a brand new LCD at the cost of the repairs (Rs 17600). I have been offered a choice between two LCDs, the KLV-40CX420 and KLV-40NX520. I am now tempted to get an LED instead and they have agreed to give me one if I pay the price difference. However, I am confused as to which one I should get. I want to stick to the 40 inch size. I am not keen on 3D but am considering a few 3D models as they might have better viewing experience overall. I watch a lot of HD content so that is a consideration too. Here are the models that I am looking at.

KDL-40EX520
From my research it seems that this has a rather limited refresh rate of 50 Hz. I don't know much about TV tech specs but this seems to be a drawback. Am I right or is it something that is negligible?

KDL-40EX720/KDL-40NX720
I am not interested in this because of the 3D but am wondering whether it has a better viewing experience than the EX520. Also, what is the difference between the 40EX720 and 40NX720? Is the latter a better buy given that the price difference between the two is one Rs 10,000?

KDL-46HX925
This is a long shot (it's too damn expensive!!!) but I read that Sony is going to discontinue its HX line and not make Dynamic Edge LED TVs. Given this, is it a good idea to bite the bullet and get one or will a better technology come in the near future?

Also, is this a good time to get a Sony Bravia or should I wait for the 2012 models to be launched?

I know that these are a lot of questions but would really appreciate it if you guys could help me make a decision! Thanks.

But how much do they quote for 40Ex520? 40Ex720? and Hx925?

In my opinion the NX series has better picture, wonder how they offer the EX / NX in the same option bucket where the later is costlier.

I would say go with the EX520. There isn't a very wide difference between EX520 and EX720 except Motion (which is also not a night and day difference)

You would be satisfied with the EX520. :)

If you can stretch your budget then getting the NX720 would be sensible. It has better PQ than EX520/EX720 and also good 3D.

As for HX925, first thing it is not being discontinued. Only the Hx820 will be discontinued and replaced with HX850. The HX925 will continue through 2012 unchanged.

If you can wait though I would suggest you go for the HX850. It is still an EDGE LED TV but Sony have come out with great improvements and overall PQ wise it is a significant improvement over 2011 EDGE LED models in all areas be it black level, contrast, colors, motion and most importantly 3D thanks to new 3D algorithm in the 2012 X-Reality Pro engine.

Thanks for a very informative and detailed reply. It is extremely helpful :) I read up a bit on the HX850 and presume that it will be very expensive as it is the top of the line model. Also, I am looking to get a 40 inch model so it is not really an option. I understand that HX925 also isn't available in 40 inches so shouldn't have mentioned it in my list! Anyways, apparently Sony will also launch the EX640 alongside the HX850. I would love to know what your thoughts on that model are, specifically in comparison to the EX520/720 and NX720. Also, any ideas about when the new Bravia range might make its way into India? Thanks again!

But how much do they quote for 40Ex520? 40Ex720? and Hx925?

I was going to be charged Rs 17,600 odd for my TV which can no longer be repaired. They are now offering to knock that off the price of a new TV of my choice. I still need to talk to them but the list price for the 40EX520 is Rs 68,900, the 40EX720 is Rs 83,900, and the 46HX925 is Rs 1,53,900.

if it is @ MRP price, then I feel it is not good deal... as I read someone in forum bought 40ex720 at 75k... that too some 6 months back... so if u search... u can find the deal with less than 70k is what i feel.. ( I dont know any source as such).

40ex720 and nx720 is almost same, but nx720 has gorilla glass.. which makes difference in appearance and picture quality...

if it is @ MRP price, then I feel it is not good deal... as I read someone in forum bought 40ex720 at 75k... that too some 6 months back... so if u search... u can find the deal with less than 70k is what i feel.. ( I dont know any source as such).

40ex720 and nx720 is almost same, but nx720 has gorilla glass.. which makes difference in appearance and picture quality...

Sorry Praveen, I made a mistake in my earlier post regarding the price. My repair estimate was Rs 17,600 and they were willing to offer me a KLV-40NX520 (the LCD and not the LED) which retails at Rs 58,900. So basically I get a discount of around Rs 41,300. If I chose another model then they will just knock that off the price.

@narialtaster

The HX850 will be the high end model yes but it will priced significantly lower than the HX925 :)
This year Sony has decided to price all its TVs very competitively.

As for the EX640 and also HX750, both are also going to feature good improvement over last year's models. :) (HX750 could be called the new NX720. )

The 2012 range should start hitting showrooms sometime within the next 3 months.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back