Choosing between Wharfdale DX1 & Tannoy HTS 101

deep_blues

Hi have finally shortlisted the above & need help in finalizing either.
My room is approx 200 sq ft & plan to use it with my existing Yamaha RX V 457.

The purpose is solely for movies & have a Panaconic LCD projector along with a Dalite 84" screen & a sony 46' led tv.

imho buy wooden than satellite packages.
like wharfdale diamnod 10/tannoy equivalnts.wud be costlier.then go step by step.
for inexpensive wooden check sonodyne.very vfm

@deepaksood, IMHO, wharfedale DX-1 is better than Tannoy HT. Please take a audition of both setups and then decide. In Mumbai there will be shops which got these setups. Take your AVR with you and take a audition of both speaker packages with your AVR and then decide.

IMHO, Wharfedale DX-1 is always better than Tannoy. They got better speakers, build quality and good sub. Wharfedale's audio performance is also better than tannoy.

Anyway, please take audition before deciding on one....

I have auditioned Tannoy HTS 101. I have posted my review earlier > http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/35407-denon-1513-wharfedale-ms-100-speaker.html

I can definitely say that you must choose Wharfedale DX-1.

Tannoy is very good but Wharfedale is even better.

I'm quoting again from my post
Tannoy HTS101 -------------- Sound is very god. But to my ears, they sound a bit laid-back. The subwoofer is very good. The biggest plus point was the tweeters. They really add shine to the sound. But while watching Saving Private Ryan, the sound seemed a bit distanced. Its difficult to explain. Wharfedale has a very aggressive and bold sound while Tannoy offers a more relaxed sound. There was a concert DVD played on the system. The Tannoys proved more musical than Wharfedale.

Overall the punch was lacking. The Wharfedale built quality is far better.

Very nice and clean setup.

I can see in the pics that all 5 speakers are at the ceiling level.

Is it ok to keep them at that level? Is there any difference in sound perception?

Thought the sound is amazing, I think I'm missing out on the surround, just waiting to get the blu ray player......optionally might put in a wall mount for the rears & tilt them downwards.... will update shortly...

Also planning to go in for the Denon 1713 a) for the airplay & b) to get audio via hdmi (not sure about the difference though!!

The best price I've got for the Denon 1713 in Mumbai is 32k. Is that good? Probably would have gone lower if I'd taken the package though :)

why not use the existing avr...
why sudden buy for 1713..didnt get the point...
i mean i am not discouraging u..just asking

edit:
okay i think for hdmi avr....
imho use present avr untill its completly broke....then buy a new one...may be then something more latest,more futuriastic will come in market and will be cheaper too.
presently you got optical/coax in for dts and DD..thats quite good and satisfactory
yes if you regulerly watch blu ray disks...and own a collection of br disk.then yes an avr with dts hd ma or DD tru HD is needed anyway..
otherwise ur present avr is perfect..why change....

i dont think for airplay and audio via hdmi...are justified... to junk the present asset

if anyway buying..carry centre and then audition and then only buy...yama and denon may have...mind it may have..not that it will be obvious...different sound sign

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions!!
Have not really tried the optical / co-axial as of yet so will give it a shot today & update. If it works I guess I ca just go for the apple tv for the air-play...

Also just ordered 2 blu ray players the much discussed Pana 220 & a sony 490 (a good deal on ebay india & its for another bedroom with a sony 40").

why not use the existing avr...
why sudden buy for 1713..didnt get the point...
i mean i am not discouraging u..just asking

edit:
okay i think for hdmi avr....
imho use present avr untill its completly broke....then buy a new one...may be then something more latest,more futuriastic will come in market and will be cheaper too.
presently you got optical/coax in for dts and DD..thats quite good and satisfactory
yes if you regulerly watch blu ray disks...and own a collection of br disk.then yes an avr with dts hd ma or DD tru HD is needed anyway..
otherwise ur present avr is perfect..why change....

i dont think for airplay and audio via hdmi...are justified... to junk the present asset

if anyway buying..carry centre and then audition and then only buy...yama and denon may have...mind it may have..not that it will be obvious...different sound sign

Also looking to buy a inexpensive center speaker & surrounds for my kids bedroom (10-15k for both). Have a good pair of sony for fronts already.

Thanks again for all feedback & suggestions!!

great buy..
pana 220 and sony 490...
sony 490 picture is very very good..
but the sony most talked problem is still present..it cannot read FLACS,and some file types...
can bitstream smoothly..

I connected my existing DVD player Sony NSP 575 to the amp using the optical cable & then the co-axial too but not getting any sound output from the amp.

It works fine though when I use the analogue output from the dvd player to the amp.
Opened a separate thread too for the same.

Back