Choosing between Wharfdale DX1 & Tannoy HTS 101

playing original dvd?
check dvd player audio setting and also avr audio input selection setting etc...
it should work

Yup used an original Dvd & checked all cables & settings too. still not working. The amp has just been lying around for a while actually. Had connected it previously via optical & was working fine then.

Will give it a day else just pick up a basic Denon or Yamaha with / wo airplay. What would you recommend & approx price. Thanks a tonne!!

present new basic avr will cost around 25k...more or less...
okay you have previosly used ur present avr's optical ports....hmmm..and it worked perfectly then...normally these ports dont get damaged just for nothing..
cant figure out..sorry..why this is happening..
and chances are impossible...3 out of 3 digital ports stops working at the same time...confused...

Hey Guys,

Reading a lot of reviews and after also hearing the Tannoy HTS 101 and Wharfedale DX1 with the Denon 1713, guess I will go for the Wharfs....

I found the Tannoy much crisper than the Paradigm and Jamo I heard, but I do agree that the Wharfs cames out as much richer in sound...

Now the only question remains is that should I settle for the the Denon 1713 or compare it with a Yamaha or a Pioneer.
I am not going to do a Zone 1 setup as planned earlier, and am neither at an advanced or Pro Audiophile that 7.1 would matter to me...

So please do help me to shortlist a decent AVR to go with the Wharfedale DX1, budegt is not the constraint, hopefully I get some features that make sense even for a single room set up.

Whats a good price to buy these in Mumbai?

The Shop inNdheri quoted me 41 for the wharfs and 34 for the Denon 1713

Also need guidance for the brand and guage of wires that I should buy.

@ AshD, you can get the same combo for a much lower price at Mumbai. Please visit the dealer of Wharfedale at Mumbai.

you can try the below address or phone no. for the Wharfedale....
This address has been listed in hifimart.com as distributors for Wharfedale. They are situated at Mumbai itself. So, it will be quite easy for you demo the speakers there and get their help for installation also. Fellow Member Umapati has bought it for Rs. 69,000/-. Please refer his thread http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/35606-my-final-decision-denon-1713-wharfedale-dx1.html

Designer Audio India Pvt. Ltd.
'AC Market', Basement #1, Tardeo, Mumbai - 400034. India.
Tel: 91-22-23520320, 23524443 Fax: 91-22-23512836
Email: [email protected]

I got my DX1 from The Shop too for 39k. Unfortunately did not feel the need for the 1713 then or would hv gone for the package like Umapati but have been quoted 32k by The Shop.

Hey Guys,

Reading a lot of reviews and after also hearing the Tannoy HTS 101 and Wharfedale DX1 with the Denon 1713, guess I will go for the Wharfs....

I found the Tannoy much crisper than the Paradigm and Jamo I heard, but I do agree that the Wharfs cames out as much richer in sound...

Now the only question remains is that should I settle for the the Denon 1713 or compare it with a Yamaha or a Pioneer.
I am not going to do a Zone 1 setup as planned earlier, and am neither at an advanced or Pro Audiophile that 7.1 would matter to me...

So please do help me to shortlist a decent AVR to go with the Wharfedale DX1, budegt is not the constraint, hopefully I get some features that make sense even for a single room set up.

Whats a good price to buy these in Mumbai?

The Shop inNdheri quoted me 41 for the wharfs and 34 for the Denon 1713

Also need guidance for the brand and guage of wires that I should buy.

Deepak & Jaivelu,

Thank you for your inputs. The Shop guy refused to accept that someone took a Wharfdale DX1 from him at 39k. Nevertheless, I talking with Anil from Hi-Fi Mart and will see what best offer I can get from him for the package.

Now the new dilemma is Media Player or BD Player..

Any inputs on this??

Ash

@AshD, always go with the BD Player. The latest BD Players plays most of the current file formats and almost does all the functionalities of a media player also. Hence, its better to go with the BD Player so that you can play Blu ray disks and using the USB port you can connect the pen drive and play most file formats as well as can attach external HDD also.

@Jaivelu,

Thank you for the advice...

What BDP to go for? I have saved on the AVR and Speakers, as I am going for a Denon 1713 although was ok to go for a 2213.

So what the best BDP I can go for??

Ash

Hahaha maybe he liked my voice :lol:
Good luck with Hi-fi mart, they were giving very good quotes for a package earlier too..

Have ordered 2 blu ray players myself the sony (from e-bay for 7500 with hdmi & 2 3d movies) & the pana 220, through Amazon (95 us + shipping, duty)

Deepak & Jaivelu,

Thank you for your inputs. The Shop guy refused to accept that someone took a Wharfdale DX1 from him at 39k. Nevertheless, I talking with Anil from Hi-Fi Mart and will see what best offer I can get from him for the package.

Now the new dilemma is Media Player or BD Player..

Any inputs on this??

Ash

to ash d...
pana 220--import from amazon...can be made region free
sony zone c s 490--8k here(3d wala..mrp 13k)
maratnz A zone 19k...hifimart..itself...mrp 40k

One Audio expert recommended me to go for the foll..

L+C+R Paradigm Cinema 400 (instead of the Wharfedale DX1)
Back L+R Paradigm Cinema 200 or 100

Denon 21xx (Instead of the 1713)

He said the Paradigm gave much better output and crispness than the Wharfs..

For the Player, basic BDP along with a Dune Media Player to get the best of both worlds .

Not sure about the Media player thing ( I may go for it only if its not too costly...), but can you please help me in the Speaker selection.?

Thanks..

Ash

@Prosenjit, @Deppak

Buying from Amazon or any other international websites, doesn't it make the entire thing almost as expensive when you add the duty etc??

Can you estimate how much will it cost u in hand before placing the order? What about the warranty etc??

I tried the ishopinternational, cos I heard you can pay in INR etc but I just couldn't get through the maze to come to "Buy".. I gave up..

Ash

many members got pana 220 at 9.5k landed cost total here at doorstep...
pm them for detail....
pana 220 is sufficient..can read all..no need of media player.
media player and bdp both is not really needed...

at 8k sony 490 is also great....but as i said sony cant read all....about 15 % of my files are not read by sony....also no flac reading...
cant comment about maratnz file read capability..member kamalnv got it just before 1 month..pm him....
about speakers be very caerfull...never ever go on suggestion..hear it to differentiate..what you like...i like onkyo over denon anyday in movies...most people like denon..you may like yamaha..and so on....
paradigm,wharfe,klipsch all make great speakers....

Last edited:
@Prosenjit, @Deppak

Buying from Amazon or any other international websites, doesn't it make the entire thing almost as expensive when you add the duty etc??

Can you estimate how much will it cost u in hand before placing the order? What about the warranty etc??

I tried the ishopinternational, cos I heard you can pay in INR etc but I just couldn't get through the maze to come to "Buy".. I gave up..

Ash

I bought the Sony (13k one) for 7.5 net from India itself via ebay & will receive it this weekend. Sony Blu Ray Player- BDP-S490- 3D Blu Ray Disc - Sony India 1Year Warranty | eBay

I expect the Panasonic (from Amazon US, shipped using Shop&Ship to reach me early next week. If you wait till then I'll be able to give you the exact break up.
The sony has a 1 year official warranty but not too sure about the Pana.

realle superb deal u got deepak....
minus the 3d free titles..
its 7k...net..no doubt a super deal..i got mine at 8.2 from indiatimes...

realle superb deal u got deepak....
minus the 3d free titles..
its 7k...net..no doubt a super deal..i got mine at 8.2 from indiatimes...

Thanks bro, Yes, I got additional 500 off too as there was an offer on Hdfc credit cards. So it was 7491/- less the 3d titles...

i just cheked mine deal was 8.5k...bohoooohoooo(crying)...:sad:
pakka 1000 Rs more....dheeraj ka fhal meetha hota hai...
hehe...
enjoy man...dont forget to post the pana 220 landing cost...:)

just thinking about local shops...they are still selling it at 13k..just before some days my friend was told this price in a local showroom..:mad::mad:

Last edited:
I'm expecting the Panasonic 220 this weekend & just wanted to know if this step down is the correct one to use.

MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac

Thanks!

Just wanted to add that the problem I was facing earlier is solved, the optical cable had to be replaced. The sound now is awesome!!
Instead of the amp just ordering the apple tv for airplay now.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back