Choosing speakers ??

sisharma80

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I am confused about selecting home theatre speakers so may be you guys can help me out.

I am planning to set up a home theater at my place. The room size is 15ftX12ft, plus I live in a apartment and don't want to wake up the neighbours.

Considering these factors, I am thinking about DENON AVR 1508/1509 which would serve the pupose well. Good sound quality with moderate per channel wattage.

I am bit confused when it comes to speakers. One of my friends has JAMO S 406 HCS 1 + SUB 200 and I really liked their performance. But again I don't have much experience of good and quality speakers.

So considering above highlighted constraints, is it OK to go with JAMO 406 HCS package?

Thanks,
Siddarth

Hi all,

I am bit confused when it comes to speakers. One of my friends has JAMO S 406 HCS 1 + SUB 200 and I really liked their performance. But again I don't have much experience of good and quality speakers.

So considering above highlighted constraints, is it OK to go with JAMO 406 HCS package?

Thanks,
Siddarth

Siddarth:

At the outset welcome to the forum.

There are a number of other threads where the choice of speakers and how to choose them have been discussed. Please browse through these threads, and come back with specific queries that we can answer.

If you heard the Jamo, you like it, and it is within your budget, why not go for it? If you are looking for more options you will have to mention the kind of music/movies you like, what specific quality you are looking for and your budget. There are hundreds of speakers are various price points, and considering all of them would be confusing and waste of time.

The members here can help you narrow you choice based on your budget and you liking.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply ... my bad ... forgot to look into similar threads.

I am completely into movies (action, comedy, romance ... whatever) so I guess JAMO HCS 606 will do fine then

Thanks,
Siddarth

Check out the diamond 9 series also. I find them much better than the Jamo in that price range.

Last edited:
Thanks Unleash

What's the price for Diamond 9 series? I am talking about front, cen and surround speakers. Also where can I listen to them here in Delhi?

Regards,
Siddarth

Thanks Unleash

What's the price for Diamond 9 series? I am talking about front, cen and surround speakers. Also where can I listen to them here in Delhi?

Regards,
Siddarth

Siddarth,

Another member has these prices

diamond 9.5 --> 27k
3 surround speaker set --> 10k
SW --> 18k

The 9CS center channel should cost around 12,000. You can also look at Diamond 9.6 that will be around 35K. For dealers, please contact

BASS 'n' TREBLE (for Wharfedale, Quad, DAC, Vanguard)
F-6, First floor, Manish Link Road, Plaza-1,
Plot 9, Sector-5, Dwarka, New Delhi-110075.
Tel: 9999016124, (011) 45509308.

If you need more details go to Designer Audio - About Us

Cheers

Thanks venkatcr and unleash,

Today I went to above mentioned dealer for checking out Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 and guess what ... they completely blew me away.

These speakers are definitely better than Jamo S 606 ... well that's what I feel.

Also, I am planning to go for Diamond 9 DFS as surround speakers. These are bipolar speakers. So what u guys think abt these? Dealer didn't have these, today, for demo ... so he told me to come back after a week for demo.

Regards,
Siddarth

Thanks venkatcr and unleash,

Also, I am planning to go for Diamond 9 DFS as surround speakers. These are bipolar speakers. So what u guys think abt these? Dealer didn't have these, today, for demo ... so he told me to come back after a week for demo.

Regards,
Siddarth

Siddarth:

bipolar are better for surround task. The single advantage is they have two set of drivesr that send sound in two directions, thus giving you a real surround effect. This also eases your sitting position relative to the bi-polars.

Cheers

Siddarth:

Bipolars are certainly good for surround tasks. They have two sets of drivers that send in two direction giving you better surround effect. They also ease your sitting position relative to the bipolars.

Cheers

Hi Siddhart, i have the PJ sound hcs 4600, which was what is known as Jamo 606 these days,(by the way pj sound is a sister concern of Jamo), but i would choose the diamonds any day any time over the jamo setup, in fact i am upgrading to a diamond 9.2 and 9.0 setup myself, if u go for standmounts diamond 9.2 or 9.1 r the way to go....amazing spkeakers for the money! both musically and for movies...
happy listening.

Hi Siddhart, i have the PJ sound hcs 4600, which was what is known as Jamo 606 these days,(by the way pj sound is a sister concern of Jamo), but i would choose the diamonds any day any time over the jamo setup, in fact i am upgrading to a diamond 9.2 and 9.0 setup myself, if u go for standmounts diamond 9.2 or 9.1 r the way to go....amazing spkeakers for the money! both musically and for movies...
happy listening.

good to hear that diamonds are better than jamos :)

anyway I am opting for the following setup

9.5 as fronts
9.CS as centre speakers
9.DFS for surround sound

AMP would be Denon 1907 ... i guess i don't need HDMI since its HDMI companion 1908 is almost 10K costlier

Regards,
Siddarth

well one should not forget that jamo is also a sister company of Klipsch, i hope ur'll have heard abt them :rolleyes: jamo s606 has won the WHAT HIFI award in Uk, the article is mentioned in their site, Jamo speakers are very good too but offcourse always go for wat ur ears like:cool: Sound is a very personal thing..

cheers...

AMP would be Denon 1907 ... i guess i don't need HDMI since its HDMI companion 1908 is almost 10K costlier

Regards,
Siddarth

Siddarth:

Can you bargain hard with the dealer ans see if he will give you a 1908 for say 5K more than the 1907? Or ask him if he can give you a 1709? The 1709 is a new model and does have HDMI.

Cheers

well one should not forget that jamo is also a sister company of Klipsch, i hope ur'll have heard abt them :rolleyes: jamo s606 has won the WHAT HIFI award in Uk, the article is mentioned in their site, Jamo speakers are very good too but offcourse always go for wat ur ears like:cool: Sound is a very personal thing..

cheers...

Of course Jamo is good ... but that was my personal opinion ... i liked wharfedale over jamo but this may vary person to person :)

Siddarth:

Can you bargain hard with the dealer ans see if he will give you a 1908 for say 5K more than the 1907? Or ask him if he can give you a 1709? The 1709 is a new model and does have HDMI.

Cheers

What would be good price for Denon 1907, 1908 and 1709?

Dealer has quoted 27K for Denon 1907 ... but again I didn't bargain at that time.

Regards,
Siddarth

Last edited:
What would be good price for Denon 1907, 1908 and 1709?

Dealer has quoted 27K for Denon 1907 ... but again I didn't bargain at that time.

Regards,
Siddarth

If he has quoted 27K for the 1907 against a Amazon listed price of US$450, he is using a standard conversion rate of US$=60INR. So your 1907, 1908, and 1709 should have a listed prices of 33K, 36K, and 27K respectively. You should be able to able to get better prices.

I see ProFx listing the 1907 at 36.5K, so the 27K offer from your dealer is pretty good. ProFx seems to be using a US$=66 INR ratio. That is too high. Please make sure it is not a demo model that he is offering you. It must be a brand new unit.

See if you can get a HMDI model within your budget. If you sacrifice a few watts here and there, that should not make too much of a difference.

Cheers

If he has quoted 27K for the 1907 against a Amazon listed price of US$450, he is using a standard conversion rate of US$=60INR. So your 1907, 1908, and 1709 should have a listed prices of 33K, 36K, and 27K respectively. You should be able to able to get better prices.

I see ProFx listing the 1907 at 36.5K, so the 27K offer from your dealer is pretty good. ProFx seems to be using a US$=66 INR ratio. That is too high. Please make sure it is not a demo model that he is offering you. It must be a brand new unit.

See if you can get a HMDI model within your budget. If you sacrifice a few watts here and there, that should not make too much of a difference.

Cheers

Thanks venkat,

I am planning for setting up home theatre as shown below ... that's why I am not opting for HDMI receiver

ht.jpg

Regards,
Siddarth

Hi,

I am about to buy Diamond 9 series speakers for setting up my home theatre.

FRONT - Diamond 9.5
--------------------------------------
Power Handling (RMS) : 30-150W
Nominal Imp. : 6 Ohm
Frequency Range at -6dB : 30Hz - 24kHz

CENTRE - Diamond 9.CS

Power Handling (RMS) : 20-120W
Frequency Range at -6dB : 70Hz - 24kHz

SURROUND - Diamond 9.DFS
Power Handling (RMS) : 15-200W
Frequency Range at -6dB : 70Hz - 24kHz

Considering my limited budget, I am not sure about the Denon AVR compatible with this setup.
Denon 1609 and 1508 do fit in my budget. Both are "75 watts per channel x 7 channels" AVRs ... at what impedance (8 ohms I guess), I don't know?

Is Denon 1609/1508 OK to drive the above setup? Suggestions please ...

Regards,
Siddarth

Go for the Diamond set-up u wont regret it, its absolute value for money, as far as the recievers are concerned, i dont have much idea but the denons in india are quite overpriced u should consider cambridge audio and onkyo also.

Go for the Diamond set-up u wont regret it, its absolute value for money, as far as the recievers are concerned, i dont have much idea but the denons in india are quite overpriced u should consider cambridge audio and onkyo also.

Thanks pakzadj for the suggestion ... i will look into cambridge audio.

But the thing is that I am not sure abt the AVR in terms of specs. I haven't found any good explaination as yet mentioning the AVR compability with any given set of speakers :confused:

-Siddarth

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back