Chromebooks as mediaserver

Ashenden

Hi,

I'm currently using an Asus C302CA chromebook which has 2 USB-C ports. I would like to know if any forum members have used chromebook[any] to connect to external DAC in a stereo setup for playing AIFF/FLAC/WAV audio files and their experience with using it. Thanks!

Hi,

I'm currently using an Asus C302CA chromebook which has 2 USB-C ports. I would like to know if any forum members have used chromebook[any] to connect to external DAC in a stereo setup for playing AIFF/FLAC/WAV audio files and their experience with using it. Thanks!
Hi @sandeepss , I have Acer Chromebook C720. Let me try today evening with my Fiio E10K DAC and let you know. I heard like Fiio DACs work out of box. Since I rarely use Chromebook nowadays I have never tried this combo. I use this DAC alongwith Raspberry Pi. It would be fun.

Hi @sandeepss , I have Acer Chromebook C720. Let me try today evening with my Fiio E10K DAC and let you know. I heard like Fiio DACs work out of box. Since I rarely use Chromebook nowadays I have never tried this combo. I use this DAC alongwith Raspberry Pi. It would be fun.
Great! Thanks. I love using my Chromebook, in fact I rarely use my main machine nowadays :) . Does your model support the play store or linux apps?

Great! Thanks. I love using my Chromebook, in fact I rarely use my main machine nowadays :) . Does your model support the play store or linux apps?
It is 4.5 years old - Neither Android app nor Linux apps support. But it is very solid (4GB/32GB/Intel Core i3). It is standby laptop for entire family when main Linux machine is busy. The update is about to be ceased this month officially. I expect mercy from Google/Acer :cool: since I love this powerful machine. Once security update stopped I will install Linux on it, which is much more cooler :cool: than ChromeOS.

It is 4.5 years old - Neither Android app nor Linux apps support. But it is very solid (4GB/32GB/Intel Core i3). It is standby laptop for entire family when main Linux machine is busy. The update is about to be ceased this month officially. I expect mercy from Google/Acer :cool: since I love this powerful machine. Once security update stopped I will install Linux on it, which is much more cooler :cool: than ChromeOS.
Yes, linux is versatile. If you would like to preserve the Chrome OS ease of use after the support ends you can install Cloudready chromium build. It's free for home users.

Yes, linux is versatile. If you would like to preserve the Chrome OS ease of use after the support ends you can install Cloudready chromium build. It's free for home users.

Yes, many such flavours of Chromium Open source projects are on market. But I would like to compile/build Chromium OS for this specific machine direct from Open source project repo, which I have done earlier. It would be more fun and secured.

@sandeepss I tested, it works out of box. Wow! It is awesome experience - beyond compare with internal speaker. Here is my setup:

Chromebook: Acer C720 Core-i3/4GB/32GB/
Chrome OS: Version 75.0.3770.102 (Official Build) (64-bit) - Updated to latest.
DAC: USB DAC Fiio E10K

I tested both MP3 file and FLAC files with both built-in media player and VLC.

@sandeepss I tested, it works out of box. Wow! It is awesome experience - beyond compare with internal speaker. Here is my setup:

Chromebook: Acer C720 Core-i3/4GB/32GB/
Chrome OS: Version 75.0.3770.102 (Official Build) (64-bit) - Updated to latest.
DAC: USB DAC Fiio E10K

I tested both MP3 file and FLAC files with both built-in media player and VLC.

View attachment 37013
Thanks a lot for running that little experiment!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back