Ankur
Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro
Ardh Satya
Bandit Queen
Maqbool
Hazaaron Khwaishey Aisi
Matroo Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola
Dedh Ishqiya

Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro.. all the fav and one hell of a movie..

Matroo.. .besides cult role by shabana azmi and black comedy over politics and land mafia.. nutin else even made an impression..
Imran can never handle local dialects.

i would like to add OMG..!! Oh My God.. it really presented a major issue in a very light hearted way. never before touched topic to this extent.
finally they are maturing with scripts and stories moving ahead of romance in rain and dancing around trees..

There are many for me but few are here:
Pyaasa
Kaagaz Ke Phool
Guide
Devdas (Dilip Kumar)
Bazaar
Ankush
Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron
Ardh Satya
Saaransh
Salaam Bombay
Dhobi Ghaat
etc

It is also interesting to discuss movies that broke the mold and dared to do something utterly different.

Pushpak - comes to mind for being one of the rare silent movies in the somewhat modern era.

Bombay Boys and Hyderabad Blues - come to mind (whatever happened to Kaizad Guztad). Indie low budget movies, experimental, moved away from the song and dance routine, and really set the tone for most of all the modern indie movies.

Dabangg - For completely veering in the opposite direction, and doing an all-out "superstar" movie. It actually takes a massive amount of skill to make a truly good superstar movie. Besides Rajnikant, only Salman Khan (in his role in Dabangg) has pulled this off in the last several decades. If you are going to look favorably at old actors who relied on charisma as much as acting, but are going to dismiss someone like Salman Khan, you are only romanticizing the past and ignoring the present.

There must be others, but I can't think of more currently.

It is also interesting to discuss movies that broke the mold and dared to do something utterly different.

Pushpak - comes to mind for being one of the rare silent movies in the somewhat modern era.

Bombay Boys and Hyderabad Blues - come to mind (whatever happened to Kaizad Guztad). Indie low budget movies, experimental, moved away from the song and dance routine, and really set the tone for most of all the modern indie movies.

Dabangg - For completely veering in the opposite direction, and doing an all-out "superstar" movie. It actually takes a massive amount of skill to make a truly good superstar movie. Besides Rajnikant, only Salman Khan (in his role in Dabangg) has pulled this off in the last several decades. If you are going to look favorably at old actors who relied on charisma as much as acting, but are going to dismiss someone like Salman Khan, you are only romanticizing the past and ignoring the present.

There must be others, but I can't think of more currently.

Awesome post. Pushpak..man such an awesome movie!

Awesome post. Pushpak..man such an awesome movie!

Thanks. Yes, it would be nice for the modern crop of directors to push the boundaries of their art as well.

Another movie that comes to mind is Gulaal. It retains the same gritty hinterland violent feel that you get in Anurag Kashyap's movies. However, what sets it apart from almost every other movie is how convincingly it creates a completely fictitious "rajputana" movement.

There needs to be more Indian movies about completely made up stuff - fantasy, imaginary, science fiction, etc. Everything doesn't have to be about romance (90% of movies) or about slapstick comedy (8%) or crime (1%) or gritty violence (1%) *. While Gulaal is not a typical fantasy movie, I think it should get credit for pushing the boundaries of Indian cinema.

* My statistics are exactly 88% accurate with an error margin of 17%.

asliarun

Good posts. I haven't watched Gulaal, but those who have were quite impressed with the film. Kaizad Gustad's Jackpot and Bombay Boys were different from the usual mainstream stuff but not very interesting. I haven't watched any Salman film except Khamoshi, therefore I have no idea what Dabaang is all about. Personally I have never been inclined towards cinema which has a major star in it. The very presence of the star usually ensures that narrative, characterisation and experimentation will take a backseat, because there is too much money at stake.

Personally I am losing/have lost the habit of sitting through an entire film or reading an entire novel. I prefer reading a couple of poems by Rilke, Neruda, Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Borges or Pessoa to reading an entire novel. I find it difficult to sit through an entire film by anyone except Kusturica. My attention span doesn't last more than 30 minutes. After a lifetime of books, films and music I have lost interest in all three activities :sad:

Well so be it. Perhaps this is nature's way of telling us that life has to be lived out in the streets rather than within the covers of a book or in front of a computer screen :)

asliarun

Good posts. I haven't watched Gulaal, but those who have were quite impressed with the film. Kaizad Gustad's Jackpot and Bombay Boys were different from the usual mainstream stuff but not very interesting. I haven't watched any Salman film except Khamoshi, therefore I have no idea what Dabaang is all about. Personally I have never been inclined towards cinema which has a major star in it. The very presence of the star usually ensures that narrative, characterisation and experimentation will take a backseat, because there is too much money at stake.

Personally I am losing/have lost the habit of sitting through an entire film or reading an entire novel. I prefer reading a couple of poems by Rilke, Neruda, Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Borges or Pessoa to reading an entire novel. I find it difficult to sit through an entire film by anyone except Kusturica. My attention span doesn't last more than 30 minutes. After a lifetime of books, films and music I have lost interest in all three activities :sad:

Well so be it. Perhaps this is nature's way of telling us that life has to be lived out in the streets rather than within the covers of a book or in front of a computer screen :)

now the camera seems to be enjoying most of the attention.. :):)

now the camera seems to be enjoying most of the attention.. :):)

YES! The camera allows me to be in the driving seat as the "creator" rather than in the back seat as the "consumer". Perhaps this is the lesson which a lifetime of admiring other peoples work has taught me :)

YES! The camera allows me to be in the driving seat as the "creator" rather than in the back seat as the "consumer". Perhaps this is the lesson which a lifetime of admiring other peoples work has taught me :)

my eyes already got a treat with your flickr gallery. amazing clicks of life not so common these days :)

asliarun

Thanks, Ajay. Please call me arun.

You are right. I would not recommend some of these movies (Bombay Boys or even Hyderabad Blues) myself as I don't consider them well made. However, I believe that they should get credit for setting new trends. It takes a lot of courage for directors and writers to do that itself.

Gulaal is indeed a very nice movie.

I would also add Matrubhoomi to this list mainly because it takes on such a difficult subject and manages to convey it in a very unique and bizarre way. However it is not easy watching and I found it quite disturbing.

And I can see your passion for photography. You have some stunning photographs in your growing collection.

My goal for this year is to pick up the guitar - an attempt to create rather than consume, like you.

In the late 70's (when I was averaging a film every alternate day) I came across Naseeruddin Shahs debut filmNishant I had grown up on a steady dose of mainstream cinema since early childhood. My appetite for sitting (alone) in the first row of a darkened hall and losing myself in the incredible kaleidoscope world unfolding on the big screen was insatiable. As a child my loneliness found resonance in Taxi Driver, the powerful Martin Scorsese film. It ran for a week at Rivoli, Simla (single screening in the evening) and I watched it on all 7 days. Robert De Niro became my hero and You talking to me? became a constant refrain in my head for many days.

Shyam Benegal's second film was my first introduction to what was then being referred to as "parallel cinema". An introduction which opened the door to the cinema of Satyajit Ray and Adoor Gopalkrishnan, which in turn opened the door to the cinema of Eisenstein, Vertov, Tarkovsky, Bergman, Fellini, Antonioni, De Sica, Pasolini, Bunuel, Fassbinder, Truffaut, Bresson, Chabrol, Godard, Resnais, Dreyer, Huszarik, Wajda, Kurosawa, Ozu, Mizoguchi, Imamura, Hitchcock, Chaplin, Fritz Lang, Elia Kazan, Kusturica and many other film makers.

Nishant was my introduction to an actor whose work (both in film and theatre) has constantly fascinated me since the first viewing on that distant day in the 70s. I don't watch many films now (when I do, it is normally to re-watch my favourite film maker | Emir Kusturica) but I still make the annual pilgrimage to see a new Naseer film when it comes to a local multiplex. My memories of exhilarating cinematic performances by male actors come from some of the screen personas of Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri, Marlon Brando, Gerard Depardieu, Marcello Mastroianni, Max Von Sydow and Tatsuya Nakadai. I came across a mention that Naseer's memoirs "And Then One Day" are going to be released soon, which started a reverie going back to the day I watched his first film - Nishant.

Last edited:
BIRDMAN (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE) | From the dreamy years of averaging a film every alternate day during college, I have slowly regressed into watching one or perhaps two films in a year. Cinema too can exhaust just like everything else. Sometimes a photograph I have shot reminds me of a visual I watched in a film by the auteurs whose work I still remember. Kusturica, Fassbinder, Lang, Bresson, Renoir, Ray, Bergman, Fellini, Antonioni, Bunuel, Dreyer, De Sica, Jancso, Wajda, Szabo, Ozu, Imamura, Kaige, Eisenstein, Vertov, Tarkovsky, Chaplin, Hitchcock and Polanski. At times a distant memory of a dialogue from a film makes me go hunting through my collection to see if I still have the film on DVD. But cinema assumes its full resonance only on the big screen. So I look forward to my rare outing to the multiplex to watch a brand new film in high resolution and high fidelity. 2014 was the year of Vishal Bhardwaj and Haider. 2015 is the year of Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu and Birdman.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back