Clarification on Speaker Power

gap g j

Hi Members

I have been looking out for AV Receiver and speakers for past 5 months and I have a very small budget less than 40K, I been searching this forum for Good AVR and speakers.

Since I have very small budget, I thought of using my Sony Mini Hi-fi Component system's speakers for home theatre to reduce the cost of buying 5.1 speaker package

As per the manual of Sony Hi-fi

The Continous power is 80W+80W RMS power (8 ohms at 1 khz, 5% THD)

(PMPO=1200w)

And the specification of its speakers is

3 way system, bass reflex type, magnetically shielded
Woofer 17 cm
Tweeter 5 cm
Super tweeter 2 cm
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms

Size : 325H x 220W x 275D mm

Can I use this speakers with Onkoy 506 or 507

The Power output of Onkyo is
160 W/Ch (6 ohms, 1 Khz, 1 Channel Driven, JEITA)

Since if I buy a AVR, the sony hifi system will be lying idle as I already have a similar system for my bedroom and I also have a LG powered sub, 6" downfiring.

Can i use this speaker as front speaker to reduce the cost of buying Front speakers

Kindly help thank you all in advance.

Hi,

Onkyo 506 user manual says

75 Watts/Channel @ 8 ohms (FTC) (TX-SR506).

Hence it can drive your Sony speakers without any problems. And also for movies this arrangement would be good still you get good front speakers. later you can move this front to the rears.

Thanks,
Prakash.

you can also look at the option of keeping your sony avr (if its compatible) and buying front speakers

Hi,

Onkyo 506 user manual says

75 Watts/Channel @ 8 ohms (FTC) (TX-SR506).

Hence it can drive your Sony speakers without any problems. And also for movies this arrangement would be good still you get good front speakers. later you can move this front to the rears.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Thanks Prakash for your quick reply. I downloaded the manual and viewed the contents
The 75w is for the northern american model for the asian model the power rating goes like this

"Rated Output Power
North American:
75 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohmloads, 2 channels driven from 20Hz to 20kHz, with a
maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.08% (FTC) 100 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 6 ohm
loads, 2 channels driven at 1kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.1% (FTC)

European:
7 ch 130 W at 6 ohms, 1kHz, 1 ch driven (IEC)

Asian and Oceanian:
7 ch 160 W at 6 ohms, 1kHz, 1 ch driven (JEITA)

Dynamic Power:
180 W (3?, Front)
160 W (4?, Front)
100 W (8?, Front)"

Can I still use this speaker

regards
Gap G J

Last edited:
Thanks Prakash for your quick reply. I downloaded the manual and viewed the contents
The 75w is for the northern american model for the asian model the power rating goes like this

"Rated Output Power
North American:
75 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohmloads, 2 channels driven from 20Hz to 20kHz, with a
maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.08% (FTC) 100 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 6 ohm
loads, 2 channels driven at 1kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.1% (FTC)

European:
7 ch 130 W at 6 ohms, 1kHz, 1 ch driven (IEC)

Asian and Oceanian:

Dynamic Power:
180 W (3?, Front)
160 W (4?, Front)
100 W (8?, Front)"

Which power do i have to take, continuous power or dynamic power,
Can I still use this speaker?

regards
Gap G J

Last edited:
Hi,

Asian and Oceanian:

This means at 6 ohms the power output is 160W.

If you connect a 8 ohms speaker, still the receiver will drive it without any issues. But the power output will be not 160W, it will be lesser than that. May be around 120W or so.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hi,

If you connect a 8 ohms speaker, still the receiver will drive it without any issues. But the power output will be not 160W, it will be lesser than that. May be around 120W or so.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Thanks Prakash

Some more clarification I need

Can I connect 80w speaker with the 120w/channel amplifier.
Will this blew the speaker or will the speaker damage the receiver?

Thank you in advance.

regards
Gap G J

Last edited:
One more Clarification on Speaker Power

Can I connect higher power amp to a lower power speakers

What will happen if I do so.

Thank you.

Hi
This topic and specific question has been dealt with numerous times on this forum. Please take the time to search for it instead of members answering this same question again and again.

thanks

Re: One more Clarification on Speaker Power

Thank you.

Hi

NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.
Be reasonable and practical and u will be fine.

I presume u are scared that the speaker will blow. The speaker will not just blow but will show signs of strain/distress . Keep ur ear open and u will be fine.
To sum up the 120W AVR will not blow ur 80W rated speaker nor will it blow up itself!!!

Re: One more Clarification on Speaker Power

Thank you.

This is a recommended config where the amp power is more than speaker. Your system will perform well in this config.

P.S: Try not to keep full volume.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back