Class A Amplifier – Hype or Reality?

Pratyush J

Rewind: Earlier this year, while on an official trip, I visited a colleague in the Bay Area and listened to Klipsh Heresy paired with a Decaware Zen Tube amp with a CD player as the source. Since then, that sound characteristic has stayed with me; I honestly am unable to describe the sound because it was from another planet! Was unsure if it was the speakers, the amp, the source, all three, or possibly the totally carpeted and treated room. It would be nearly impossible to transport them to India, also it is unclear how they would behave in Indian homes. There is no way to audition something similar in India, particularly in Jaipur. In Delhi, I heard a couple Horn + Tube combos, they were good, but they fell short of my expectations as they did well for few genres and not so good for others. As a customer of Indiqaudio, I received a bulk mailer about their class A amp sometime around April. This peaked my attention, and I began considering an excuse to fly to Bangalore. Finally, the trip happened, and I was able to schedule a few hours for the demo in June last week. Due to busy schedule did not get time to pen this down.

Play: Like last time, I booked a demo slot. The room set was largely unchanged from the last time I visited, other than the audio chain with addition of an IFI streamer, a Topping DAC, new Mishras and Class A amp. Platinum Achals were replaced with diamonds. Throughout the demo, I alternated between Tidal and Spotify. I rationally gave each mix 20 to 25 minutes.

Diamond Achals + Class AB: Not because I wanted to buy, but just to know the difference with my platinum. After listening to just two tracks, it was clear that diamonds performed better on the bass and looked excellent in the spikes. I didn't spend a lot of time on this because I wanted to make the most of my limited time.

Mishra V1.0 + Class AB: First, I was impressed by how distinctive the new shape of the Signature Mishras V1.0 made them look. They were kept on the TV unit, but during the demo they were swapped out for V2.0, which had previously been kept on the towers. In comparison to their previous model, from what I could recall, they sounded with much more body. There was no weariness and very smooth and pleasurable highs.

Mishra V2.0 + Class AB: Once more, 2.0 had superior aesthetics and a better colour combination than 1.0. I continued to play the same songs. As Amit had explained before we began using this combo, the advanced nature of the sound stage became immediately apparent as soon as I began to play. The bass was a shade lower than 1.0, but it increased once we kept them on the towers, possibly because of the back wall. They didn't sound fatiguing despite their upfront character. For the following 45 minutes or so, the refinement and clarity kept coming to mind. I would describe the sound as natural, dynamic, and distinctly different. Here again, the sound I was looking for was not there or may be my expectations after hearing Klipsh & Decaware combo was way too high.

Mishra V2.0 + Class A: The class A was already on and running hot. We started off with the same playlist. The moment 1st song was played, I could clearly feel the difference between AB and A. Class A produced significantly deeper sound and was much smoother and more detailed. I may be hearing a solid-state class A for the first time, so I wasn't prepared for this degree of smoothness and detail. The bass also became more subtle and even. I couldn't tell if the voices had that haze because of the even harmonics (I googled the distinction between SS class A and AB to find out) or my imagination, or if it was both. With class A, I ended up spending more time listening 2.0 than with class AB. The identical song had much more to it with class A than AB. If I were to compare this combo with the one, I have heard in US, there are gaps, nevertheless, it comes closer to my expectations.

Forward: 2.0 + class A is in my cart, but am still open to suggestions. Once I decide what to buy, will then decide the placement based on suitability. May be the towers will go in dedicated room or stay in the living room.

To end, I would like to say that Indiqaudio listens to the feedback. They have really upped the game with their game changing design with their signature line up. Be it speakers or the amp, they have given utmost importance to looks as well as the sound. To me, they really look upmarket and flaunt worthy.

Disclaimer: Because I already have Indiqaudio, please take my review with a grain of salt and listen to their products before purchasing. All I'd say is that they're worth a try-out. Please feel free to PM me for more information.

For everyone’s benefit, here are the prices: Mishra 1.0 – 59K, 2.0 – 72K and class A – 1.98

Rewind: Earlier this year, while on an official trip, I visited a colleague in the Bay Area and listened to Klipsh Heresy paired with a Decaware Zen Tube amp with a CD player as the source. Since then, that sound characteristic has stayed with me; I honestly am unable to describe the sound because it was from another planet! Was unsure if it was the speakers, the amp, the source, all three, or possibly the totally carpeted and treated room. It would be nearly impossible to transport them to India, also it is unclear how they would behave in Indian homes. There is no way to audition something similar in India, particularly in Jaipur. In Delhi, I heard a couple Horn + Tube combos, they were good, but they fell short of my expectations as they did well for few genres and not so good for others. As a customer of Indiqaudio, I received a bulk mailer about their class A amp sometime around April. This peaked my attention, and I began considering an excuse to fly to Bangalore. Finally, the trip happened, and I was able to schedule a few hours for the demo in June last week. Due to busy schedule did not get time to pen this down.

Play: Like last time, I booked a demo slot. The room set was largely unchanged from the last time I visited, other than the audio chain with addition of an IFI streamer, a Topping DAC, new Mishras and Class A amp. Platinum Achals were replaced with diamonds. Throughout the demo, I alternated between Tidal and Spotify. I rationally gave each mix 20 to 25 minutes.

Diamond Achals + Class AB: Not because I wanted to buy, but just to know the difference with my platinum. After listening to just two tracks, it was clear that diamonds performed better on the bass and looked excellent in the spikes. I didn't spend a lot of time on this because I wanted to make the most of my limited time.

Mishra V1.0 + Class AB: First, I was impressed by how distinctive the new shape of the Signature Mishras V1.0 made them look. They were kept on the TV unit, but during the demo they were swapped out for V2.0, which had previously been kept on the towers. In comparison to their previous model, from what I could recall, they sounded with much more body. There was no weariness and very smooth and pleasurable highs.

Mishra V2.0 + Class AB: Once more, 2.0 had superior aesthetics and a better colour combination than 1.0. I continued to play the same songs. As Amit had explained before we began using this combo, the advanced nature of the sound stage became immediately apparent as soon as I began to play. The bass was a shade lower than 1.0, but it increased once we kept them on the towers, possibly because of the back wall. They didn't sound fatiguing despite their upfront character. For the following 45 minutes or so, the refinement and clarity kept coming to mind. I would describe the sound as natural, dynamic, and distinctly different. Here again, the sound I was looking for was not there or may be my expectations after hearing Klipsh & Decaware combo was way too high.

Mishra V2.0 + Class A: The class A was already on and running hot. We started off with the same playlist. The moment 1st song was played, I could clearly feel the difference between AB and A. Class A produced significantly deeper sound and was much smoother and more detailed. I may be hearing a solid-state class A for the first time, so I wasn't prepared for this degree of smoothness and detail. The bass also became more subtle and even. I couldn't tell if the voices had that haze because of the even harmonics (I googled the distinction between SS class A and AB to find out) or my imagination, or if it was both. With class A, I ended up spending more time listening 2.0 than with class AB. The identical song had much more to it with class A than AB. If I were to compare this combo with the one, I have heard in US, there are gaps, nevertheless, it comes closer to my expectations.

Forward: 2.0 + class A is in my cart, but am still open to suggestions. Once I decide what to buy, will then decide the placement based on suitability. May be the towers will go in dedicated room or stay in the living room.

To end, I would like to say that Indiqaudio listens to the feedback. They have really upped the game with their game changing design with their signature line up. Be it speakers or the amp, they have given utmost importance to looks as well as the sound. To me, they really look upmarket and flaunt worthy.

Disclaimer: Because I already have Indiqaudio, please take my review with a grain of salt and listen to their products before purchasing. All I'd say is that they're worth a try-out. Please feel free to PM me for more information.

For everyone’s benefit, here are the prices: Mishra 1.0 – 59K, 2.0 – 72K and class A – 1.98
Hi all ,
Wanna add few cents of mine here…. FYI ITS COMPLETELY on my demo n on ears liking …
Being proud owner of platinum achals n gone for upgrade to diamond recently n can’t say the extra what’s I’m hearing to them is like just like live sounding output …
But I wanna say more about the new signature series which they have launched n got chance to demo last month (busy so didt get chance to update)
Firstly design as on existing customer n public inputs they took seriously n cme with new design n looks amazing both ways design n sounding … what in observed it’s more concentrated on in warmth depth mids
n live like vocals with instruments heard on every bit at whatever sound u prefer to listen .. I liked to listen to them at very low sound n I didt feel anything missing n surprise is mid bass so tight n heard clean n same I tried at high volume my observation is its dynamics increased to its best (this is only with AVR-speakers).
Now adding Spearates streamer-DAC-platium saptak-signature mishra 2.0 it’s improved its producing the dynamic sounding range n same chain with new signature series to speaker omg I see this speakers are so amazed not tied of adding more n more power it’s politely showing it’s beauty of sound I don’t have word to say what shd I say here as saptak n signature difference is only can feel when u have demo u will surly fell shorty of word to explain …
Immedialty I have asked is tower of the same r planned n head yes soon they r cmg up..
But finally what I say is u buy r not buy them just go book demo slot n listen to it n feel the best of speakers n amp then u decide is that ur taste or not …
I wanna appreciate indiq for their continuous efforts to give better products to customer n be with customer for their best …
This is what one of make in India product which every Indian should feel proud n support for their branding grow high to compete internationally established brands in this segments …
All the best Amit n indiqaudio…
Keep tempting customers with new products 😇👍

I plan to take my tube amp and class D NAD over to Amit and compare with his Class A SS amp.

I think more than the topology, i think it is the lack of global feedback that truly makes Class A amps magical. The feedback loop does SOMETHING to the harmonics ("smoothens them out" is the best way i can describe it) that messes with the timbre enough to affect the sound. And it is easier to make a zero feeback SET than a zero feedback SS amplifier, as far as i know.

For the most part, i find solid state amps fungible in terms of sound quality: I am in the camp which believes that if you have to strain really hard to hear subtle differences, you are in the error margin realm and it isnt worth obsessing about those differences. That said, I believe the Indiq SS amps dont use a lot of feedback - it will be interesting to see/hear if this makes a difference.

I plan to take my tube amp and class D NAD over to Amit and compare with his Class A SS amp.

I think more than the topology, i think it is the lack of global feedback that truly makes Class A amps magical. The feedback loop does SOMETHING to the harmonics ("smoothens them out" is the best way i can describe it) that messes with the timbre enough to affect the sound. And it is easier to make a zero feeback SET than a zero feedback SS amplifier, as far as i know.

For the most part, i find solid state amps fungible in terms of sound quality: I am in the camp which believes that if you have to strain really hard to hear subtle differences, you are in the error margin realm and it isnt worth obsessing about those differences. That said, I believe the Indiq SS amps dont use a lot of feedback - it will be interesting to see/hear if this makes a difference.

My preference is absolutely no feedback at all. ................. Zero.

This is how it has been, since 1982. I had to both design and DIY build my own tube amps, to have that. Once experienced, in a good circuit, you get to totally understand.

Yogibear in Jaipur has / uses zero NFB amps. Have fun !

Jeff

Had a talk with Mr. Amit , seems the Class A amps have 4 orders currently and around 6 weeks of lead time.
It would be great if some confirmation is got regarding the overall sound signature.

Awaiting for the outcome as it seems to be an unique offering in the Indian Market.
Regards.

Recently I listened passlabs first watt f7 and threshold sa1 class A amplifiers i got same kind of feeling that its more smooth, more silence/clarity between instruments, and more linear sound reproduction.

Had a talk with Mr. Amit , seems the Class A amps have 4 orders currently and around 6 weeks of lead time.
It would be great if some confirmation is got regarding the overall sound signature.

Awaiting for the outcome as it seems to be an unique offering in the Indian Market.
Regards.
One of my friend in mumbai and a fellow member of this forum who has the same speaker as me, wanted me to hear out the Signature Saptak to see how well it pairs and I myself had not heard an “Integrated Class A”, so just thought of auditioning it.
Requested Amit if I may borrow it for a day but since they had auditioning lined up and being an existing customer, he agreed to lend the amp after 7pm so that I can spend an evening and return the next day. So I got spend good 3 to 4 hours with it.
My impressions compared with my existing Firstwatt F7 is that the IndiqAudio Class A amplifier is not just a hype. They carry the legacy of a true class A amp and it does get equally hot as my current amplifier.
Talking about the sound signature, I must say that they have done a great job. They have a very nice harmonic profile which lets you to continue throwing tracks after tracks at it and it keeps you amazed.
The sound signature is very addictive and for someone who has not heard a class A till date I think you really need to experience it to believe it. Kudos to them for coming up with such an amazing amplifier.

It’s a wonderful offering from an Indian manufacturer. Just to talk on the looks, they have done a great job too. The full aluminium chassis with nice labelling on it really make it look at par with some of the international brands and they have really worked on the attention to detail.

F15854F1-DCE6-4C08-83AD-385A69EBC936.jpeg

I just have one pic of it and posting the same.

Regards,
Somanna

Recently I listened passlabs first watt f7 and threshold sa1 class A amplifiers i got same kind of feeling that its more smooth, more silence/clarity between instruments, and more linear sound reproduction.
I must say it’s a killer amp. I have been using the F7 for a long time now and it’s been my favourite ever since.
Now eagerly waiting to build the F8 when things are available. Very much eager to see how different it will sound compared to the F7.

Last edited:
The sound signature is very addictive and for someone who has not heard a class A till date I think you really need to experience it to believe it.
The F7 you are using is Class A right ? Not sure then why you are saying you have not heard a Class A before this…

May be you miss read sir. I said “Integrated Class A”. Firstwatt F7 is a pure power amp.
I’m aware F7 is pure power amp. I’ve heard the F5 myself with my speakers.
I’d still say that sentence of yours is misleading.

Anyway , thanks for the review. Amit quoted a price of almost 2L for it few months back when I texted him. It’s an interesting product and I wish to check it out sometime.

I’m aware F7 is pure power amp. I’ve heard the F5 myself with my speakers.
I’d still say that sentence of yours is misleading.

Anyway , thanks for the review. Amit quoted a price of almost 2L for it few months back when I texted him. It’s an interesting product and I wish to check it out sometime.
Okay my bad. I never imagined that would be misleading. Thanks for correcting there.

One of my friend in mumbai and a fellow member of this forum who has the same speaker as me, wanted me to hear out the Signature Saptak to see how well it pairs and I myself had not heard an “Integrated Class A”, so just thought of auditioning it.
Requested Amit if I may borrow it for a day but since they had auditioning lined up and being an existing customer, he agreed to lend the amp after 7pm so that I can spend an evening and return the next day. So I got spend good 3 to 4 hours with it.
My impressions compared with my existing Firstwatt F7 is that the IndiqAudio Class A amplifier is not just a hype. They carry the legacy of a true class A amp and it does get equally hot as my current amplifier.
Talking about the sound signature, I must say that they have done a great job. They have a very nice harmonic profile which lets you to continue throwing tracks after tracks at it and it keeps you amazed.
The sound signature is very addictive and for someone who has not heard a class A till date I think you really need to experience it to believe it. Kudos to them for coming up with such an amazing amplifier.

It’s a wonderful offering from an Indian manufacturer. Just to talk on the looks, they have done a great job too. The full aluminium chassis with nice labelling on it really make it look at par with some of the international brands and they have really worked on the attention to detail.

View attachment 70887

Regards,
Somanna

I must say it’s a killer amp. I have been using the F7 for a long time now and it’s been my favourite ever since.
Now eagerly waiting to build the F8 when things are available. Very much eager to see how different it will sound compared to the F7.
Ya seems they have paid a lot of attention to detail. And what Amit mentioned cause it is integrated a synergy is achieved between the pre and power sections...

View attachment 70887

Regards,
Somanna

@Prodigy, what is the price of F7 and from where to buy? Although I have booked their amp by paying 20K to lock the discount which is ending 31st July, but in case F7 will come cheaper I might be tempted to switch over. Unfortunately, since the day of the audition I am not able to get over Class A sound

@Prodigy, what is the price of F7 and from where to buy? Although I have booked their amp by paying 20K to lock the discount which is ending 31st July, but in case F7 will come cheaper I might be tempted to switch over
Hey @Pratyush J , no way the F7 is going to be cheaper. If you have someone who may be willing to carry the amp from US or if you are able to lug it along during one of of your travels then it may cost you upwards of 3K usd however Absolute Phase in Bangalore is an official importer of Pass and Firstwatt amps and you may check with them. If I am not wrong this amplifier retails in India over 7L.
The other option is the Diy route but you may want to still struggle a bit to collect some of the key components which is either obsolete or no longer manufactured. If you are going to build all by yourself you will still end up spending quite a bit.

Hey @Pratyush J , no way the F7 is going to be cheaper. If you have someone who may be willing to carry the amp from US or if you are able to lug it along during one of of your travels then it may cost you upwards of 3K usd however Absolute Phase in Bangalore is an official importer of Pass and Firstwatt amps and you may check with them. If I am not wrong this amplifier retails in India over 7L.
The other option is the Diy route but you may want to still struggle a bit to collect some of the key components which is either obsolete or no longer manufactured. If you are going to build all by yourself you will still end up spending quite a bit.
So the integrated
@Prodigy, what is the price of F7 and from where to buy? Although I have booked their amp by paying 20K to lock the discount which is ending 31st July, but in case F7 will come cheaper I might be tempted to switch over. Unfortunately, since the day of the audition I am not able to get over Class A sound
Is the class A sound that much different? I have listened to AB amps but never a class A, is there an inherent class A sound? BTW 1.97 quoted price appears to be too high.

Is the class A sound that much different? I have listened to AB amps but never a class A, is there an inherent class A sound? BTW 1.97 quoted price appears to be too high.

Hear it to believe it, once you listen to class A it gets stuck in your head and you fall in love again.

Again different tastes will matter too.

Let me contact AP and see what options they have

If you want other available Class A amplifier options in India, at that price range you should definitely check out Sugden A21/A21SE, should be in stock with indian distributor. Sugden's are considered to be one of the best class A amps.

There was on A21SE for sale as well in classifieds

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back