cleaning LPs

Anti static brush only helps in removing fine dust on the surface of the record and cannot be a replacement for record cleaning. Moreover, you need to hold the anti static brush a little above the record for the surface dust particles to adhere to the brush

Guys,

I have not handled LPs in a very long time; there is the disclaimer.
The main culprits of record damage are dust and humidity. In our country, there is no shortage of either of them.
When they combine, you get grime and this can be potentially disastrous to vinyl.

Here is one thing every owner of physical media, LP/CD/Tapes should have:
Ostrich Feather Duster

These feathers have a mild static charge to them so they pick up dust (specially fine dust); not just move it from one place to another. Yes you do need to do LP laundry once in a while.
Once you have done so and thoroughly dried the record, every time you play the record, run the feather duster over the two sides before storing it back into the sleeve.
This reduces the number of times you will need to do laundry. The duster itself can be cleaned with mild soap solution and hung dry.

Try it out and protect your physical media.

Cheers,
Raghu

I have been using inner sleeve using good newspaper and I have seen I am able to keep away fungal growth to a great extent. I was examining records stored away for more than 5 years and noticed that fungal growth was noticed in inner sleeves of plastics while all records where newspaper was used had no fungal formation. I am trying to buy newspaper waste without print which I think may be even better.

I bought spin-clean record washer system few months back and cleaned few records, amazing result :) It doesn't just remove dust and dirt, it also removes bit of static. I am quite happy with the result, now record labels doesn't get wet.

Got this for $49 on special summer sale.

Lp%20001_zps1xnuzsvl.jpg

I bought spin-clean record washer system few months back and cleaned few records, amazing result :) It doesn't just remove dust and dirt, it also removes bit of static. I am quite happy with the result, now record labels doesn't get wet.

Lp%20001_zps1xnuzsvl.jpg
[/QUOTE

Is spin-clean record washer available in India?

Thanking you in advance,

pksnathan

I also have spin clean record cleaner. The consumables are expensive compared to other systems. The quality of cleaning is good . I use it when people buy records from me in bulk and it is faster than my vacuum cleaning system

Lp%20001_zps1xnuzsvl.jpg

Have you ever ended up with wet labels using this system?

Anybody tried label protectors for soaking LP's in IPA+Water (maybe soap liquid soap) mix?

Last edited:
I also have spin clean record cleaner. The consumables are expensive compared to other systems. The quality of cleaning is good . I use it when people buy records from me in bulk and it is faster than my vacuum cleaning system

Any pointers to buy the nylon brush locally also please suggest any alternative for non working TT. I am referring to the cleaning video of yours on YT

I have tried to get similar kind of brush locally whenever I visit big malls with several items. I have not found any with the same thickness . Non working TTs are the ideal as the record fits correctly and you can rotate the platter easily by hand. Getting non working TT may not be difficult. The nylon brush is also available online and not too expensive .

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6483/14940960lf4.jpg

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/9633/13789124jn5.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8417/30610823pk1.jpg

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/5919/14526791mk8.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5199/43022281jv7.jpg

hi all,

that's different views of the corner crevice tool that comes with the euroclean turbo. as you can see the end is angled upwards to the right and then vertical for a few mm. the part that's angled upwards you cover with a square of velvet that fits the angle width-wise. the black sticky tape is rolled back on itself to form a shape like a dosa so basically both sides are now sticky, one sticks to the velvet while the other sticks to the tube. like putting a bandaid on the edge! will last for at least 50 lps. and i'll keep brushing the velvet lips with a toothbrush to take out accumulated gunk. the advantage to the crevice tool is that you can hold it pointed towards the spindle or along the groove direction. its a small footprint too so its more focused cleaning especially at the edges where the edge of the lp is slightly raised.

notes:
1. if you're vaccuming liquid up direct, make sure your vacuum cleaner is a wet/dry one. otherwise you'll spoil it at best and blow it up at worst. mine is a dry cleaner so i mop up liquid with a microfibre cloth and then vacuum so hardly any liquid enters the cleaner body. am also planning to put a handkerchief folded double between the connecting tubes of the vacuum cleaner to catch stray liquid.

2. please please look up microfibre cloths on google. it should convince you to switch to them from plain cloths and cotton and the like which work fine but might not be as efficient. basically microfibre cloths act like a magnet attracting the dirt into their fibres unlike regular cloths. so wash the microfibre cloths regularly cos dirt will be in there and might cause scratches when you next wipe the lp. they're available at a supermarket. i got mine from spencers.

3. this point is the most important! no matter what your cleaning routine please include a distilled water rinse to wash the cleaner off the lp!!!!! will prevent the cleaner eating the plasticizer on the lp or leaving a film that will result in the music being veiled.

4. a lot of liquid recipes exist but what i've gathered as common are isopropyl alcohol 20% distilled water 80% (can vary this proportion depending on the dirtiness of lp). add to this mixture a surfactant like an industrial detergent that has no additives or kodak photoflow. and a distilled water rinse or two to remove the cleaner as mentioned above. do research this if you're using different things cos just because its a cleaner does not mean its safe for use on an lp.

5. my routine:
1. put the cleaning mix on the lp, scrub gently with a flat edge tool covered with velvet.
2. mop up liquid with first micro fibre cloth
3. put distilled water on lp, spread around lp with second flat edge tool covered with velvet
4. mop up water with second microfibre cloth
5. rinse again with distilled water and mop up with second microfibre cloth
6. vacuum
this way the final vacuum lips do not touch the dirty first mix ensuring a cleaner final step.

hope this helps

regards

@stevieboy,
Please re-upload the pics.

Looks too expensive, plus not as good for the price quoted I guess :-(

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

^ Yes, that is too much. Strange thing is many vinyl cleaner machines are 25K plus :)

I am using an old Sansui Turntable for cleaning records. That player is working fine except needs tonearm (broken).

Only problem is the shipping and customs which will make the cost of the machine double!

Anyways, I got myself one from Canada,will have my family bring it down for me :)

i had tried the nitty gritty brush + baniyan cloth cleaning method, and found it not so satisfactory.
bought a knosti disco anti stat, and with homebrew liquid, works just fine!
It comes with a drying rack that the spin clean doesnt have!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back