Cloning DVD - problem with DVD dirve

prakasse

Hi Friends,

I am trying to copy a original DVD. I used DVD decrypter and it says my dvd drive is region 5 whereas the dvd disc is region 3. So it is not ripping off the contents.

I have changed the dvd drive region 5 times and no more i can change it. The option is disabled now and i use WinXP.

I am using DVDFAb to copy the main movie, normally it takes 20 mins to copy the movie, but because of this media region and dvd region mismatch it shows it will take 100 mins. Can you help me here?

How can i change my media drive region? the option is currently disabled.

Any other option that would help me here.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hello Praksee,
I have faced similar issue many times. Actually it is a software isuue. I am surprized that windows XP has similar issues. I have faced this problem only with windows vista. I have few desktops at home 2 of them running windows XP and the newest one HP pavilion desktop runiing windows vista. The dvd drive in my XP desktops were region free. So i decided to put one of the DVD drives of my XP machine to the vista computer so that I don't face any issue with regions but surprisingly Vista has assigned a region to it. Hence from observation I can say its a software issue. It is only the dvd playing option that encounters this region problem but it can ve viewed from my computer folder . But copying the files in a brute force method didn't really work for me. I think there are no solution to this problem other than formatting the computer and installing new operating system. Although I am not too sure about it.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Do a complete uninstall of DVD Decrypter and a fresh install. That will fix it. But coming to DVD Decrypter it also has option of using brute force to break the region protection of DVDs and that always works for me. No need to change the region of the drive.

Hi Friends,

Thnx for the reply. Here are my drive details. Would be great of you can let me know how to make this region free? I searched for the flash in net but couldn't find it. Also now it has already locked to region 5.

DVD decrypter doesn't work, what is the use of this software when it finds the media and dvd region doesnt match???

DVD FAb took 110 mins to copy the movie and when i played, it did not play properly coz it has copied with protection.

Also Will reinstalling the O/S enable the option to change the regions of this DVD-RAM? This will be the last option that i will consider. Then again i can change the region only 5 times. Any idea how to permanently make it region free.

DISCINFO VERSION : 1.6.1.6
VENDOR : MATSHITA
MODEL : DVD-RAM UJ-842S
REVISION : 1.01
VENDOR SPECIFIC : 601110KMEHA27579041
LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 256
BUFFER SIZE : 2048KB
INTERFACE : ATAPI
RPC2 SCHEME : YES
USER CHANGES : 0
VENDOR CHANGES : 4
CURRENT REGION : 5
ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
COMPOSITE OUTPUT : YES
DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
READ UPC CODE : YES
MULTISESSION READ : YES
MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
READ ISRC CODE : YES
READ BAR CODE : YES

Reinstalling OS will work, but keep that as a last resort. You could try installing XP without loss of data (I think that's the repair option during installation phase). That too should fix it.

try dvd clone
i tried to play original dvd(region bounded)in my dvdp and it refused to play but after cloning with dvd clone it played on my dvdp.
i'll send u link through PM.

try dvd clone
i tried to play original dvd(region bounded)in my dvdp and it refused to play but after cloning with dvd clone it played on my dvdp.
i'll send u link through PM.

Hello Amit,
This DVD clone s/w you have mentioned does it help only in the playback of the DVD. Suppose I want to create an ISO image file from the DVD. S/w like DVD decrepter or DVD shrink refuses to read the disc stating region error so if I use these s/w in conjunction with dvd clone will it work???
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Do a complete uninstall of DVD Decrypter and a fresh install. That will fix it. But coming to DVD Decrypter it also has option of using brute force to break the region protection of DVDs and that always works for me. No need to change the region of the drive.

Hi Moserw,

Brute force doens't work for me. ANy special setting needs to be done?
Kindly see the error message in this screenshot.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 62
Hi Moserw,

Brute force doens't work for me. ANy special setting needs to be done?
Kindly see the error message in this screenshot.

Thanks,
Prakash.

No special settings. I've never had this problem. Do check if you have the latest version of DVD Decrypter.

Hello Amit,
This DVD clone s/w you have mentioned does it help only in the playback of the DVD. Suppose I want to create an ISO image file from the DVD. S/w like DVD decrepter or DVD shrink refuses to read the disc stating region error so if I use these s/w in conjunction with dvd clone will it work???
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

hi mahiruha
dvd clone help u to create exact clone of ur original dvd with breaking region code.
u have several options to deal with.
1)u can make image from original dvd(with code breaking)and burn later on or can use nero to open image and play in ur pc.
2)u can make same copy(clone) of original dvd(with code breaking) if u have both dvd player and dvd writer.
3)or else u can store dvd file from original dvd(with code breaking) on your hard disk in various formats.
it is not a dvd player s/w but it will help u to playback copy of ur original dvd on various dvd player s/w.

if u wish then i can PM u link of dvd clone.
cheers.

Last edited:
Hi Friends,

I am trying to copy a original DVD. I used DVD decrypter and it says my dvd drive is region 5 whereas the dvd disc is region 3. So it is not ripping off the contents.

I have changed the dvd drive region 5 times and no more i can change it. The option is disabled now and i use WinXP.

I am using DVDFAb to copy the main movie, normally it takes 20 mins to copy the movie, but because of this media region and dvd region mismatch it shows it will take 100 mins. Can you help me here?

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hi Prakasse,

There are two ways of looking at this issue:

The main assumption is that there are no damages to the disc.

(1). The settings on DVDFab allows you to set the region, where you may change to region of the disc to be copied. This is quite important else one may experience the challenges you'd mentioned.

(2). The next step is to clone the dvd to an iso image, and mount it using a virtual drive software to play the dvd.

If you're burning the dvd you should either shrink the dvd to fit a normal dvd or use a dual layer. if the latter is the case, do uncheck the "remove layer break" in the settings of dvdfab. This would result in dvdfab generating a file giving you the layer break sector. You should manually enter this info into the burning software - if you want a successful burn.

Finally, i assume you're performing this to backup your legal copy.

cheers!

Nitin.

hi mahiruha
dvd clone help u to create exact clone of ur original dvd with breaking region code.
1)u can make image from original dvd(with code breaking)and burn later on or can use nero to open image and play in ur pc.
2)u can make same copy(clone) of original dvd(with code breaking) if u have both dvd player and dvd writer.
3)or else u can store dvd file from original dvd(with code breaking) on your hard disk in various formats.
it is not a dvd player s/w but it will help u to playback copy of ur original dvd on various dvd player s/w.

cheers.

Hello Amit,
if it does what you have mentioned then it is a very useful s/w to have. I was trying to build a digital library of my DVD collection so that I can play them using my Netgear EVA8000 wireless network receiver. But the project got haulted because of this region issue.If you can pm me the link that will be really helpful.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

By the way, I hope the dvdfab you're using is of the latest version.

Else there are copy protection mechanisms that purposely insert defective sectors to the disc that woulb prevent you from ripping.

Do use DVDFab and NOT dvd decrypter which is no longer developed and a lot of changes in dvd cpp has happened since then.

Thanks,

Nitin.

Hi Friends,

Thanks,
Prakash.

Which laptop are you using? If still under warranty they could replace the drive for you. Just tell them that region got locked. Dell would do this for you.

As you maybe aware region protection can be up to 3 levels (i) at drive (firmware) level and (ii) OS level (iii) Software Player like PowerDVD. You were only using removing the OS/SW level protection with the DVD Genie, AnyDVD etc.

Now that drive region changes options are all are used up, you are stuck! Normally one can flash the DVD drive with 3rd party RPC1 (region free) firmware to overcome this issue. But it seems there are NO RPC1 firmware available for your drive as yet.

If your laptop service agrees to change the drive, just try to ensure that it is not the same Matshita!

hi mahiruha

cheers.

Hi Mahi,

I tried using clonedvd.When i try to copy the main movie, it just create the directories and files within a minute and says the action is complete. Also the settings tab is disabled in the software.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Last edited:
Hi Mahi,

I tried using clonedvd.When i try to copy the main movie, it just create the directories and files within a minute and says the action is complete. Also the settings tab is disabled in the software.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hello Prakash,
you mean to say it worked or it didn't??
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Prakasse,

Is the disc you are trying to copy Dark Knight or Wall-E by any chance ? These discs (and some more newer ones too) have a better protection built in that even defeats older versions of DVDFab (see nitin's explanation). Try the latest version on their website. I am still using this version - DVDFab5232_avangate-689.exe - its only couple of months old. Works like a charm.

Let us know what happens.

Hello Prakash,
you mean to say it worked or it didn't??
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Nope!!! It did not work

Also i tried Anydvd + cloneDVD combi too. it said dirves like Matshita,philips has RPC1 enabled and asked me to download fimrware from rpc1.org

I tried latest version of DVDFab 6.2. No success..

Well I cld copy Darknight with DVDfab platinum.
If the DVDfab is trial version,then ther may be prob.

DVDshrink is another free program,try that.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back