Coimbatore HFV Nano Meet

About Audio-GD, the shills definitely made me very cautious. Otherwise, I'd have pulled the trigger long ago.

There's very little information on Yulong D100. Both Skylab and Project86 have reviewed it favourably. But, am waiting for more reviews / opinions / user experiences before shelling out $500.

I thought Gamma 2 would cost a bit more, that's why I've not considered it yet. If it's within $500 (fully built), I would choose it over other choices.

The older price for gamma2(MisterX) build was $375 but recently I learnt that he has lowered the price to $330(without the power supply). A used one can probably be had for even cheaper. Gotta keep an eye. ;)

^ What's a good power supply for Gamma 2? Would Sigma 25 be enough?

Will there be any performance drop if I use local AC Adapters?

They recommend a wallwart.
Sigma25 is considered VFM but the best performance is via Sigma11.

Last edited:
But, Gamma-1 is kind of an overkill in terms of price - $300+? :(

BTW, HRT Music Streamer II / II+ supports 24/96. Headfonia review here: The HRT Music Streamer II: Asynchronous 24/96 for $149.95! | Headfonia

For me, fully built = Unpack, Plug and Play. Gamma-2 is well regarded while D100 is a new, unknown quantity. So, with Gamma 2 falling in a similar price range to Yulong D100 (in terms of landed cost), what would offer a better VFM? Is it worth going the Gamma 2 way?

IMO Gamma-2 is the better value for a person who has/plans to have a discrete amp.

HRT MS2 uses the PCM1793 chip which is actually a downgrade from the STX's pcm1792 DAC.

Oops! Sorry! I meant to ask about the PSU - Sigma-1. Confusion in my Greek :eek:

Read that as "But, Sigma-1 is kind of an overkill in terms of price - $300+? "

You mean the Sigma11 ?
Yes its a bit of overkill since the noise of voltage regulators in gamma2 is higher than the noise of sigma11.
It should be nowhere near price of $300 though. The kit for sigma22(dual rail) comes for $110. So total cost for that including the enclosure should be around $200.
Sigma11 should be even cheaper, though I think I would go with Sigma25 which should be doable in less than $50.

Got a quote of $375 including shipping for the y2 . Not sure if it includes power supply. Also how it compares with keces 131@$380 . Looking for a good dac with digital input for the long haul.

Last edited:
I never thought I'd say this about a budget DAC. But the HRT Music Streamer II has impressed me in the first few minutes. Is it better than STX? That takes time to answer. May be because they use the TI Chips - PCM1793 Vs PCM1792 and I like STX, I like this. Out of the three DACs I've tried so far - uDAC-1, Maverick TubeMagic D1 and MS2, this is the only one that is anywhere close to a "DAC" I wanted. At least, in a few minutes of testing, I did not find them lacking too much as D1 does. If it only had more inputs, would have been even nicer.

u got the HRT music streamer as well :lol:??!!!!man,are u full of surprises.u,santa claus,u!!on second thoughts,santa and the "well behaved" boy rolled into one.gift urself the wish list,heh.cheers

I never thought I'd say this about a budget DAC. But the HRT Music Streamer II has impressed me in the first few minutes. Is it better than STX? That takes time to answer. May be because they use the TI Chips - PCM1793 Vs PCM1792 and I like STX, I like this. Out of the three DACs I've tried so far - uDAC-1, Maverick TubeMagic D1 and MS2, this is the only one that is anywhere close to a "DAC" I wanted. At least, in a few minutes of testing, I did not find them lacking too much as D1 does. If it only had more inputs, would have been even nicer.

Congrats esanthosh !
I shall be waiting for a more detailed STX/MS2 comparison.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back