Compact-Shallow-In Wall kind of center channel

Naveenbnc

Dear all....

I learned a lesson with big boxes in my small room ....:D:p
As some of you know, I made a center channel with 12" FR, SK12FRX
This driver needs a large box for getting better low end extension.

I want to get rid of large box, and build a compact center channel.

Center channel with SK12FRX Ahuja has the following advantages.
8 Ohms impedance & High sensitivity(easy for any basic AVR to drive)
Obviously vocals are pretty good.
It can go loud if needed (but feels a bit shouty).
Price is very affordable & easily available.

Now I am looking for a small FR driver that can perform better than Sk12FRX.
My preference for center channels is....
Sounds like "male vocals" or "a lions roar" or a "dinosaur Snarls" etc should sound dynamic and authoritative.
Ahuja does this job nicely @ its price.

Is there any 4" or 6" or 8" ... (the smaller the better) driver available that can fulfill my requirement?
I am ok to use multiple small drivers, but the final impedance should be 6 to 8 ohms... and high sensitivity and high Spl is preferred.
As far as possible... I need a "not very expensive" driver, and it should be available in India.

Any leads or suggestions or ideas please ....

just to add....

My existing Ahuja driver rolls off around 160 to 170 hZ in OB
My subwoofer handles from 80hz onwards.
So there is a gap in frequency range that is not covered with OB
(I don't know if this gap is something that needs to be addressed or bothered about)

With a sealed box, I can make it go down to 80hZ, but the box is too big.
So ideally the small driver i am looking for should take care of highs+mids, and it should go down to around 80hz with a box or OB

And it should go loud if needed.
Too many conditions I guess .... :D but that's a challenge, and its fun if we can find such driver in a budget ..

Last edited:
Look at this chart.
So you are missing out on most of the frequencies in the human voice range.

Thanks for the link tuff :):)
Our Hari Iyer has simulated OB with this driver, and he helped me with this info..... that it rolls off around 150hz (Thanks to Hari !!)

As I said earlier, this can go down to around 80hz in a large sealed box.
I don't know if there will be difference between the low end produced by the driver on its own Vs pushing the driver artificially with an enclosure to give low end. (unless I am bothering about insignificant points :p:p)

Last edited:
I am not particular about small drivers. I am even ok with 12" FR driver.
The only concern is .... it should give better low end, and the overall box should be as small as possible.
This is not possible with Ahuja.
(Making this driver suitable to work in a small enclosure by adding some EQ is still unexplored for me)

Last edited:
You already have a driver whose qualities you like. Measure and EQ.

If the box is made shallow and placed about 4" or less from the wall then the wall will reinforce the frequencies below 300Hz or so. This will compensate for the low bass of the driver. Now EQ can be used to flatten the response. The shallow rolloff of first order of the sealed box will blend very nicely with a sub too.

You already have a driver whose qualities you like. Measure and EQ.

If the box is made shallow and placed about 4" or less from the wall then the wall will reinforce the frequencies below 300Hz or so. This will compensate for the low bass of the driver. Now EQ can be used to flatten the response. The shallow rolloff of first order of the sealed box will blend very nicely with a sub too.

FaitalPRo coaxial full range with an operational range of 75hz to 20000hz can work in a small box (0.2 to 0.4 cu.ft)
But the supplier quoted me Rs14,500 for each driver :D
Getting this doesn't make sense for the price. ... Buying Platinum C100 from taga for the same price is better;)

Any way .... If any trick "like EQ" can make my existing driver suitable for a compact enclosure, my problem is nearly solved.
Secondly, I have to wall mount this center speaker. I have no choice. (I can not place it away from the wall)
Because the box itself is minimum 7 to 8" deep. That has to go behind the PJ screen....

As you said .... I will make arrangement to measure the response first.

I made an MLTL with TV unit driver which had whizzer cones. Its size was 3X9 inch.
Look out for TV repair shop, there you can find such drivers. Buy as big as you can. These drivers will work superb for your center channel and they need small cabinets too.
I have seen some available in amazon too. Check SPL of these before you buy.

I made an MLTL with TV unit driver which had whizzer cones. Its size was 3X9 inch.
Look out for TV repair shop, there you can find such drivers. Buy as big as you can. These drivers will work superb for your center channel and they need small cabinets too.
I have seen some available in amazon too. Check SPL of these before you buy.

This is quite an interesting direction I never looked at yet.

I am looking for a specific sound signature from center channel.

It should sound dynamic and authoritative. A Lions roar should sound like a Lions roar. And a male bass voice should sound authoritative.
(I wrote this a couple of times in this forum, people would have already got bored :p:p)

I don't know if this is a myth I'm holding, but I believe large driver gives that signature better than small driver(s).

(Iwai produces drivers used in TV units)

It should sound dynamic and authoritative. A Lions roar should sound like a Lions roar. And a male bass voice should sound authoritative.
(I wrote this a couple of times in this forum, people would have already got bored :p:p)
)
When the system is nicely done ie a flat frequency response, free from early reflections, sufficient headroom etc, you will get what you describe.

This is quite an interesting direction I never looked at yet.

I am looking for a specific sound signature from center channel.

I don't know if this is a myth I'm holding, but I believe large driver gives that signature better than small driver(s).

(Iwai produces drivers used in TV units)

Keep searching...you'll get great drivers.
I got mine from Hari, they were doing great in a friend's place.
I had a barter deal, he got my speakers and I got two Minolta 85mm and 100mm prime lenses :).

When the system is nicely done ie a flat frequency response, free from early reflections, sufficient headroom etc, you will get what you describe.
thank you Sir... I have to implement your advise .... try to get one thing functioning right before jumping on to others ...

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back