Compact sub with speaker level in and out.

Oh my !! No Sir, this thread is not over yet. He is going to get back to you for an upgrade. The C20s will probably sound better without the sub. I would definitely use the crossover settings in the node.

Thankfully, my BIL is only looking for boom boom tisk tisk. When I had loaned him my Quad 12 L2s and my tube pre with the crown xls 2502 for a short while (his 10 year old son is a music fan) the first thing that impressed him was how loud the system could play. I had the bookshelfs placed on his cabinet and the bass and the overall sound was just so so but he loved it as it played party loud.

@chander
You should invite your BiL to HFV. I'm sure he'll enjoy the contentious debates :D
Cheers,
Raghu
I hope he never joins HFV - after this thread our relationship is on the line :p.

Right now he is getting over betraying Paul McGowan, Paul said - the only way is high level way. He is not going to be able to face Paul on youtube anymore.

boom boom tisk tisk.
Too good - I am going to use this instead of OONS OONS.

I do not know how to put this in words.

BUT...... our man has bought a PreSonus Eris Sub8 locally today morning (I haven't asked but I think he hinted at Facebook Marketplace). After almost 2 weeks of high level in out saga - he decided that RCA in from node 2i to the Sub8 and rca out from the Sub8 to his amp driving the speakers will be about 95% same as high level in out. He is not very happy about losing the 5% performance but atleast there will be no frequency overlap. *FACE PALM*

I have a question here - is it that I am too much or a noob that I feel - if you just use the Node 2i sub out and set the crossover frequency to lets say 80hz it will have the same effect as there is a digital Xover in Node 2i? I understand the digital vs active Xover but I am sure the Sub8 is not going to be a top of the line Xover either - and will just add more trash in the chain.

Anyhow with this new update - I conclude this thread. Thank you all who chimed in to help a man out.
:) You should tell him about all the discussions on this thread.
Next he is going to come to you about room modes and subwoofer set up.

:) You should tell him about all the discussions on this thread.
Next he is going to come to you about room modes and subwoofer set up.
Brilliant - I can ask him to do the sub crawl and send me a video of him slithering around the room - some compensation. Maybe the next big meme NFT.

Though he has already started on buying a single unit - Streamer + IA - like the cambridge/NAD types as now the existing IA and streamer are clearly the next weak link. He hasn't even connected the SUB yet.

Brilliant - I can ask him to do the sub crawl and send me a video of him slithering around the room - some compensation. Maybe the next big meme NFT.

Though he has already started on buying a single unit - Streamer + IA - like the cambridge/NAD types as now the existing IA and streamer are clearly the next weak link. He hasn't even connected the SUB yet.
Do keep us updated. It is entertaining!

I can sympathise with his situation and recall a time when I was convinced that a Bose 2.1 system was the last word in audio. (I loved that sound for a while, till I heard the sound in a crazy audiophile’s set up)

It did take a looooong time and much buying and selling before I became aware of the particular quality of sound I liked and then put my system together to get this.

I can sympathise too (though I do not have an option :p). I wish he had found a more balanced individual to stalk online instead of Mr.Paul.
Paul is a Romantic. His autobiography “99% true” is an engaging and fun read. Kind of explains why he does what he does and how he does it.
Not the most objective guy on YouTube, but he speaks from a long life full of music, radio, and audio engineering.
I guess we need all kinds and varieties to make this hobby interesting?

Well there are worse guys in AV than PS Audio’s Paul on YouTube. I don’t find him pushing his own products or hyping up any of his assorted line ups in his short Q&A videos.
Compared to massively pompous guys like Jonathan Weiss (Oswalds Mill Audio ) he appears quite saintly in fact. :D

Well there are worse guys in AV than PS Audio’s Paul on YouTube. I don’t find him pushing his own products or hyping up any of his assorted line ups in his short Q&A videos.
Compared to massively pompous guys like Jonathan Weiss (Oswalds Mill Audio ) he appears quite saintly in fact. :D
He does push his products in his videos. He uses them as examples to answer queries from his followers, frequently.
He has a down to earth style, rarely if at all talks measurements and tries to simplify audio engineering concepts for those who may not be technically well versed.
For experienced audiophiles he may come across as a bit too simplistic.

He does push his products in his videos. He uses them as examples to answer queries from his followers, frequently.
He has a down to earth style, rarely if at all talks measurements and tries to simplify audio engineering concepts for those who may not be technically well versed.
For experienced audiophiles he may come across as a bit too simplistic.
Well he has hundreds of videos and I’ve haven’t watched them all obviously, but in many of his short videos he tries to explain concepts in a simplistic manner which of course might be basic for experienced audiophiles , but my point being he doesn’t always highlight PS Audio products in those videos.
Even when talking about his personal setup he talks about owning Emotiva and Rel products if I remember right & praising them profusely, which he easily could not have done. :)

Of course being a owner of a consumer brand who would fault him if he does push his DACs and amps once in a while , but at least I don’t find his approach too aggressive. To me he is way better than guys like Darko who mostly does paid promotions in the garb of objective reviews.

Just an update - post the sub was connected - life was beautiful for a minute or so - before things went out of hand. The rattling and 'boom boom tisk tisk - (thanks @ssf for this)' was pleasant and a welcome change at the very first listen but the elation went kaput right after. It was like a first solo paragliding flight - you thought you are in the air till you suddenly feel your face rubbing against the dirt. I got a call right after - explaining how the RCA in and out were at fault and how 'the Paul' was right all along. Well, I explained "patiently - atleast the tone of my voice" that maybe the sub needs to come out from under the desk and somewhere maybe behind his chair, but the RCA is not long enough. Waiting for an update tomorrow.

Stay tuned for BIL's right of passage.

Someone's going to get into a lot of trouble if someone's BIL comes across this thread.

Your BIL is smitten by Paul, that well-known subjectivist. You should be more afraid than you are.
I am sure the way he is consuming the forums, the words "Compact sub with speaker level in and out" would have already showed up with this link.

Now there are only a few possibilities -
- either he is tuned in for the climax
- he is waiting for the right moment - to pounce on me to offload
- he is enjoying it too :p

Rest assured he is never joining HFV after this post, and if he does he will never let anyone know he is the same man - not even me.

***we have a pretty good relationship - we know each other since we were in school, so he will get over it.

I do agree. HFV does pop up in most searches.
Just get a 5 meter sub woofer cable and things will iron themselves out
Cheers,
Raghu

I do agree. HFV does pop up in most searches.
Just get a 5 meter sub woofer cable and things will iron themselves out
Cheers,
Raghu
Yup I am too far into it to back off now - I have only one way forward, ridicule it all the way. :p

Yup I think he is ordering some dhivis cable or something.

Last edited:
Yup I am too far into it to back off now - I have only way way forward, ridicule it all the way. :p

Yup I think he is ordering some dhivis cable or something.
These are quite expensive. Try Blue Rigger. 900 bucks for 15 feet cable.
Cheers,
Raghu

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back