Company Speakers or DIY?

Imo for the same budget DIY will be better than company speaker if you have the skill to build.

which one do you prefer and why.
That's a Tough one like asking ...
'what do you prefer, Branded Pizza or Home Made Pizza & why?'

There's no other way to experience high-quality Audio At Lower prices ; Other than sheer luck, systematic upgradation or DIY way. Only in DIY way, if you are knowledgeable enough with adequate skills & Time , you can configure high-end audio experience at unimaginable prices. Since I lack most of the qualities, I prefer buying branded speakers.

Also DIY can be more expensive than branded speakers as you will have to invest in many tools - LCR meter, measurement microphones, learning time, simulation software, measuring software etc. Also if its a first time experience then seldom first attempts are good sounding and you will need to go through the learning curve. Unless you are passionate about building speakers for own use and others, i will suggest it does not make sense for trying the DIY route and go for a good branded speaker at your budget. But again if you enjoy doing DIY and are ready to invest in time and money then its a good hobby to pursue.

If you are looking for a specific sound which isnt available in the price in your mind, then DIY may have answers. Other wise , you may not get the factory perfection in cabin building due to lack of tools.

Sometimes DIY is rewarding if you are cloning some thing really proven. Like a LS3/5a , which on paper looks very cheap to build as boxes are not that thick and the drivers can be sourced as replacement drivers are avaialable. But, its well engineered that every tiny bit must be done without ignorance. Totem also has some models which are made with off the shelf drivers. Also, if at 25k budget a speaker with AMT ribbon tweeter can be made but its hard to see one in the market.

http://audiopit.ugu.pl/tmiteclone.html (Use google translate) Out of curiousity I had tried adding good caps like Jantzen on cheap chinese silk domes, and results were really surprising. They were able to produce airiness like a vifa or scanspeak. So, its fun way to waste time, until you loose your patience, realize the drain chain from your pocket at each upgrade step. But, its a good exercise to know more about what component affects what part of the sound in a box and its scaling possibilities. The only problem in DIY I encountered is that I started reading more over internet, started spending time on tweaking that actually listening music.

Last edited:
It is a misconception that DIY is cheap. It allows to start with a set of requirements and build to your specifications. I find that invaluable. You know your music, the listening environment and budget. The rest is easy. That's a lot of flexibility in this hobby.

What more could you ask for ?

It is a misconception that DIY is cheap. It allows to start with a set of requirements and build to your specifications. I find that invaluable. You know your music, the listening environment and budget. The rest is easy. That's a lot of flexibility in this hobby.

What more could you ask for ?

DIY is cheap when you start it, once you get the hang of it, you will only realize it 'was' expensive looking back at what all you have done to acheive what you need. DIY is fun when you really have a unique target sound, which isnt available at the speakers you are looking at.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back