Compatibility/mismatch between AVR and speaker set impedance

Santanu Roy

Hi, I plan to buy a AV Receiver and 5.1 speaker set to upgrade from my 10-year old Sony HTIB.

After a lot of research, have zeroed down on the Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 AV receiver. Will go for either Harman Kardon HKTS 9 5.1 speaker set, or JBL's Cinema 500 5.1 set.

Both the HK as well as the JBL expect a 8 ohm impedence from the AV receiver, whereas the Yamaha receiver has a 6 ohm output on all its channels.

Is it ok to pair up a 6 ohm AVR output with a 8 ohm speaker set ?

Thanks !

As the brochure reads " Under its default settings, the unit is configured for 8-ohm speakers" so you should not be facing any problem. In fact the amp has an option of impedance setting as per the speakers.

Last edited:
Btw how much are you paying for it? Prices must be down as I read that somebody managed to get the 1713 for 28k here in Mumbai

Hello all,

I have just purchased the Yamaha RX-V373.

I have already having a 5.1 speaker set of a Sony HTIB, with the following specs :
Front Speakers : 60 + 60 W, 8 ohms at 1kHz, 10% THD
Centre Speaker : 60 W, 16 ohms at 1kHz, 10% THD
Rear Speakers : 60 + 60 W, 8 ohms at 1kHz, 10% THD
Passive Subwoofer : 100 W, 8 ohms at 100Hz, 10% THD

Can I connect this existing speaker set to my Yamaha Rx-V373 ?

Thanks !

Both the HK as well as the JBL expect a 8 ohm impedence from the AV receiver, whereas the Yamaha receiver has a 6 ohm output on all its channels.

Is it ok to pair up a 6 ohm AVR output with a 8 ohm speaker set ?

Thanks !

Generally these receivers can accept any speakers with impedence in the range of 6-16 ohms. Please check the specifications of your receiver.

i dont see any problem connecting your speakers with the given spec, however try connecting front channel first and see output before connecting other speakers.

Hello all,

I have already having a 5.1 speaker set of a Sony HTIB, with the following specs :

Thanks !

You can use them safely. Passive subwoofer cannot be used.

Hello all,

I hope you copied it from proper section.

This companies don't even know that speaker specs should have sensitivity dB/w (dB per watt) and not distortion(THD).

The spec they have provided is more of an amplifier and not of speaker. Speaker can't have a pin point watt rating rather they should indicate a range like 10-60 watt.

These basically holds no genuineness. They have put in whatever they felt like. No measurement at all.

Ideally, you can use any speakers with equal or more than 4 ohm. Unless you play too loud. Do one thing, just open the cabinet of a speaker and make sure they have a crossover in it. If not, atleast a capacitor in series with the tweeter.

I have not read all the replies above. So please excuse duplication, if any.

From what I know of multi-channel AVRs, they are quite compatible in the 6? to 8?. At 6?, the channel will delivery more electrical power output than 8? but the effect is not so much to distinguish while listening. So one can use 6? speakers or 8? speakers and that is quite OK.

But then there should be no mix of 6? and 8?. For instance, one should never use, 6? L+R while 8? center and like that. Ensure that entire set (L+R, C, SL+SR, BSL+BSR) are all of the same impedence.

Hello all,

Thanks !

As I stated earlier, the centre channel impedence is mismatched. Change to 8 ohm speaker. Passive subwoofer also cannot be used.

I have Yamaha Rx-V473... I am using the 5.1 speaker setup of my old Sony HTIB without any problem (touchwood)

In fact I managed to convert my passive sub into powered one by attaching the sub amp kit and I am truly enjoying the whole setup. The impedance rating says that it's 6 ohms including center channel.

Only thing is that I do not go beyond -5db volume to be extra cautious.

Hi all,
My drawing room size is 15 x 25 feet.
Would a JBL Cinema 500 or a Harman Kardon HKTS 9 (5.1 speake set) be good enough for a room of this size ?
(I have just purchased a Yamaha Rx-V373).
Or should I go for a mix-n-match of JBL 4 Control One (FL+FR+SL+SR), 1 Control Now (C) + Sub 140P, for my room ?
Has anyone tried out a combination like this, and do they give the same effects as a pre-packaged HTS speaker pack, such as Cinema 500 / HKTS 9 ?
I am planning to buy the speaker set today.
Thanks !

Santanu since you have already bought the amp it would be best if you take it along for the demo & buy what sound best to you're ears and fits in you're budget too.

If you have spare time you could also audition polk tsi 200 (buy 4 of these or 2 tsi 200 & 2 tsi 100 with centre cs 10) Profx - Advanced Audio Solutions or the wharfedale dx1 too Wharfedale DX-1 Home Theatre Package (price approx 39k)

where do you get this package at 39K? I think it's a good deal. Hifimart listed it at 45K.

I got mine from The Shop in Andheri (W) for 39,000/-. Spoke to them on the phone & had it dlvrd to my place. Tel: 26204710 26237588

if you're buying it with a new amp then the Hifimart packages are really good.

I got mine from The Shop in Andheri (W) for 39,000/-. Spoke to them on the phone & had it dlvrd to my place. Tel: 26204710 26237588

if you're buying it with a new amp then the Hifimart packages are really good.

I suppose you also have Yamaha AVR. In that case howz wharfes go with Yamaha. I read it through various forums that wharfes are warm sounding speakers. In that case I feel both will complement each other as Yamaha is bright and wharfes are warm resulting in a well balanced sound.

Please give me your feedback on the above combo (Yamaha+wharfe).

To me they sound awesome especially for movies which was the primary purpose anyways but to be honest I've never heard them with any other amp combo so am not in a position to compare.
The player & content played makes a hell of a difference though.

& yes, the av receiver is an older model of Yamaha, RX V457 which I had from earlier.

Finally ended up buying the JBL combination of 4 Control One, 1 Control Now and 1 140P Sub speakers, to connect to my Yamaha Rx-V373.
Am happy with the end result.....thanks to one and all, for all the valuable inputs provided to me over the last several weeks, which helped me in zeroing down on my home theatre system.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back