Compatible amplifiers?

Mockturtle

Before starting off , apologies for posting a query that will most probably sound ridiculous to the seasoned audiophiles out here. Fact is, I'm a complete newbie and have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA about the nitty gritties of hi-fi setups. So here goes.
I'm planning on using the speakers of my old hi-fi system (Sony MHC GX2000) as part of an improvised stereo setup. The speakers I think are rated at 100 W RMS at 6 or 8 ohms(not really sure). What I'd like to know is, can I safely use amplifiers like Sonodyne SiA 310/320 or Norge 2060s with these speakers ? Or are there figures and calculations and compatibility issues to be looked at? Your valuable inputs will be greatly appreciated.
PS: I only started this thread as I failed to find an identical one elsewhere on this forum.

Mocktrutle,
Integrated amps paring with the Speakers( For Music system) Might not give the best out of the Amp but should be fair to start with .

If you say the speakers Sony MHC GX2000 are 100W RMS then making me to think it should be around 40 Watts for Long term running.

So Just Go ahead with the current choice and keep upgrading one by one, if you feel something is lacking.

Happy listening .

Thanks a ton Audio_Freek.Yeah, that's the plan, slowly upgrade from the above set-up.Thing is, that music system has served me so well (and so long), I'd hate to let it go.The speakers are keepsakes, kind of :)

Don't be so hard on yourself Mockturtle. Many first posts here are less meaningful than yours including mine. Yes, you can safely use the said amps with your existing speakers but I suggest you to start with speaker upgrade before you get a new amp. Just like you, we all loved what we had until we came to know their limitations or until we joined this forum. Welcome to HFV. Be prepared to deplete some Vitamin 'M' you have in reserve.

Before starting off , apologies for posting a query that will most probably sound ridiculous to the seasoned audiophiles out here. Fact is, I'm a complete newbie and have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA about the nitty gritties of hi-fi setups. So here goes.
I'm planning on using the speakers of my old hi-fi system (Sony MHC GX2000) as part of an improvised stereo setup. The speakers I think are rated at 100 W RMS at 6 or 8 ohms(not really sure). What I'd like to know is, can I safely use amplifiers like Sonodyne SiA 310/320 or Norge 2060s with these speakers ? Or are there figures and calculations and compatibility issues to be looked at? Your valuable inputs will be greatly appreciated.
PS: I only started this thread as I failed to find an identical one elsewhere on this forum.

Hi Mockturtle,

This is an often asked question. Actually, it is the other way around. Underpowered amplifiers damage speakers because when they get overloaded, they can clip and send a DC signal to the speakers that can damage the speaker drivers.

In fact, because speaker impedances vary significantly across the audio spectrum (even a 6 ohm speaker can dip to 4 ohms in certain frequencies), your amp needs to have enough power reserve.

For the record, I was driving a 100W speaker a while ago with a 200W amp. And the amp actually drove the speakers with authority.

The thumb rule is to get an amp that is 1.5 times the power rating of the speaker. So please consider the 100W Norge model, not the 40 or 60W model - for your 100W speakers.

One more thing: I have seen that hifi speakers have really flimsy and thin wires. Thin wires make it even harder for your amp to drive your speaker. Consider changing your speaker wire to a thicker gauge. Any plain old wire will do - some even use lamp cord wire! The connections should be clean and secure though. I am assuming your speaker will have a spring clip kind of mechanism, not a binding post.

Thanks for that elegant explanation Asliarun.I'm saving your advice on my desktop.Now I can go ahead with a less fuddled head and make that purchase.Yes, mine have the spring clip mechanism.Shall also change the wires as you have suggested.Thanks again. :)

Hi Mockturtle

Impedance plays an important role and hence you need to ensure that the impedance of the amplifier you would purchase is same or less than the speakers..this will avoid technical issues like overheating etc....

Here is a link to provide further information

Matching Amps and Speakers - Do we Need to Worry?

Based on the impedance of the speakers, you can choose an appropriate amp within budget.... you could look at Norge, Cambridge Audio, Sonodyne etc. etc.

Dear Mockturtle,

How was your experience in upgrading the amplifier? I am having the same worry of throwing my HiFi speakers.

I have a similar query!

I'm trying to repurpose the four brilliant speakers. However, I'm planning on using the original amp and house it in a custom cabinet (including the aux jack to then turn it into bluetooth speakers).

Am I missing something?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back