sam9s NEXT NAS Project! powered by Synology DS413j!!

Thanks Sam. Planning out my budget. Most probably would go in for a DS115J / DS214J

But quoting Synology web site on the product information - "transcodes audio tracks into MP3 format on demand to reduce streaming bandwidth", this is a bit confusing.

Physically the FLAC can be stored on the NAS - does this mean it will transcode or down grade FLAC music to MP3 while playback (probably an option to uncheck transcoding)

Thanks Sam. Planning out my budget. Most probably would go in for a DS115J / DS214J

But quoting Synology web site on the product information - "transcodes audio tracks into MP3 format on demand to reduce streaming bandwidth", this is a bit confusing.

Physically the FLAC can be stored on the NAS - does this mean it will transcode or down grade FLAC music to MP3 while playback (probably an option to uncheck transcoding)

Based on the statement from the site I think it transcodes to MP3 from FLAC or other hi resolution formats on "Demand" if your network cannot handle hi bit rates. So thats an option but not default I think, but anyway you can check with them as they are very prompt in reply to any of the queries. Or you can post on their forums as well very responsive.

Dont go for 115j I would not recommend one disk bay. 215j is your best bet.(with SHR enabled) and about transcoding that is something you can switch off, check the below snap ...

33caz5h.jpg

But for your own satisfaction you can directly mail them for their query or post a question on their forum.

Major UPDATE Friends .......... The latest update form DSM, has made a majour change, well at least for me. The VPN server earlier only used to allow the user to access NAS drives only. (Your local network was still kept untouched) .... with new update the VPN server now provides access to your local network as well (HUGE RELIEF). I have used openVPN client to connect to, and earlier after connection only NAS Shares were accessible, but now with the update, when connected the entire home network (192.168.x.y) is available. Now no need for a separate VPN server to achieve the same (which I had running on my ESXi). The Synology VPN server does it all...:)

Last edited:
Major Update (News rather) Friends ...... After almost 5 years of using DS413j, 24x7 (well almost 24x7, except few hours of rest every couple of days), My NAS threw a HDD consistency error and reported 3 bad sectors on Disk 1. Even though everything was working synology was suggesting that before the volume gets totally degraded, its better to replace the disk, and since I was kind of already running short of space, I thought to replace my 1 TB disk with a 2 TB new disk. Plus I thought its high time I do a cleaning as well.

Now news is, even though my room is pretty clean, cleaning and dusting happening every day, I was blown apart and got the shock of my life when I opened the box, and saw gazillion amount of dust in it. Like seriously, I could not see the mother board dumped under the dust...:) I though yes maybe there would be some dust and I already was thinking on the lines of a through clean up, but this was highly unexpected. God's grace was there, that the device was working perfectly, in that adverse situation... :D

Well I had to rip apart the device piece by piece, and had to clean it up thoroughly, before I could assemble it back with the new drive. Which I did. Just to give you a comparison what I am talking about below are two snaps of before the box was cleaned and after the box was cleaned.

BEFORE..
2cnhzeg.jpg

AFTER..
2mfard0.jpg

My strong advice is , Guys clean your NAS, once in 6 months I would say, dont be under the impression as I was that since my room is pretty clean and enclosed, dust will not settle on the inner parts of the NAS. I was lucky I guess that the device was still working (and I guess kudos to Synology as well for a Robust machine), else dust and moisture are the first two things that kills a computer. (or any electronic device for that matter).

Few of more image of my ripped apart NAS.

2uivxx2.jpg

6yk2mo.jpg

20qxb2p.jpg

Good thing is I was able to clean and assemble it back with the new drive and, currently consistency check is going on, thats going to take another 4-5 hours, but good thing is even though slow I can still access my data.

Anyway thought to update the FMs here .... moral of the post""Clean your NAS evey 6 months""...:D :D:)

regards
Sammy

Last edited:
Major Update (News rather) Friends ...... After almost 5 years of using DS413j, 24x7 (well almost 24x7, except few hours of rest every couple of days), My NAS threw a HDD consistency error and reported 3 bad sectors on Disk 1. Even though everything was working synology was suggesting that before the volume gets totally degraded, its better to replace the disk, and since I was kind of already running short of space, I thought to replace my 1 TB disk with a 2 TB new disk. Plus I thought its high time I do a cleaning as well.

Now news is, even though my room is pretty clean, cleaning and dusting happening every day, I was blown apart and got the shock of my life when I opened the box, and saw gazillion amount of dust in it. Like seriously, I could not see the mother board dumped under the dust...:) I though yes maybe there would be some dust and I already was thinking on the lines of a through clean up, but this was highly unexpected. God's grace was there, that the device was working perfectly, in that adverse situation... :D

Well I had to rip apart the device piece by piece, and had to clean it up thoroughly, before I could assemble it back with the new drive. Which I did. Just to give you a comparison what I am talking about below are two snaps of before the box was cleaned and after the box was cleaned.

BEFORE..
2cnhzeg.jpg

AFTER..
2mfard0.jpg

My strong advice is , Guys clean your NAS, once in 6 months I would say, dont be under the impression as I was that since my room is pretty clean and enclosed, dust will not settle on the inner parts of the NAS. I was lucky I guess that the device was still working (and I guess kudos to Synology as well for a Robust machine), else dust and moisture are the first two things that kills a computer. (or any electronic device for that matter).

Few of more image of my ripped apart NAS.

2uivxx2.jpg

6yk2mo.jpg

20qxb2p.jpg

Good thing is I was able to clean and assemble it back with the new drive and, currently consistency check is going on, thats going to take another 4-5 hours, but good thing is even though slow I can still access my data.

Anyway thought to update the FMs here .... moral of the post""Clean your NAS evey 6 months""...:D :D:)

regards
Sammy

Strangely, had the same problem with my WD disk in the Synology NAS. Removed it and found lots of dust (although far lesser than you :)). WD picked up the disk and replaced it in three days, and I am back in action.
So what would you recommend for cleaning using the vacuum cleaner in a blower mode?

Yes looks like that consistency check is a loooonnnggg process, still going on. I am just concerned its not showing the added 1 TB that I should get since I replaced a 2 TB disk with a 1TB once. Just hoping that after the consistency check is complete, I should get the added 1TB.

For cleaning, I tried the same blower mode with my vaccum cleaner and yes it did flush out 80% of the dust, but not all (probably coz mine was too over loaded with dust), I had to rip apart the device and clean it with heavy brush from all corners to get all the dust out completely. So yes if blower doesn't cut it, you got to use a heavy brush to get the cleaning done throughly... :)

Yes looks like that consistency check is a loooonnnggg process, still going on. I am just concerned its not showing the added 1 TB that I should get since I replaced a 2 TB disk with a 1TB once. Just hoping that after the consistency check is complete, I should get the added 1TB.

I replaced the faulty 4tb with a new 4tb, it took close to 24 hours for the consistency check.

Major UPDATE Friends .......... The latest update form DSM, has made a majour change, well at least for me. The VPN server earlier only used to allow the user to access NAS drives only. (Your local network was still kept untouched) .... with new update the VPN server now provides access to your local network as well (HUGE RELIEF). I have used openVPN client to connect to, and earlier after connection only NAS Shares were accessible, but now with the update, when connected the entire home network (192.168.x.y) is available. Now no need for a separate VPN server to achieve the same (which I had running on my ESXi). The Synology VPN server does it all...:)

Had a question on setting up the VPN. I bought a lifetime VPN service from VPNunlimited. While this works fine, I want to ideally set it up in my NAS rather than using a laptop for the same. I have got the .ovpn file from the provider, but when I configure the same using Synology, it gaves an error in the certificate.

Is the right thing to do is to configure in the network and then use the settings or use VPN server (which I thought was not relevant in this case)?

VPNunlimited is something different, you are mixing 2 things, VPNunlimited is a VPN service that gives you a VPN access to one of their servers in US, so that once connected you can have access to US content.

VPN on synology is different (I mean both works on VPN protocol), but VPN on Synology is for you be able to access your home network from across internet in a secure way. So when your VPN server on synology is created and you connect to your VPN server from anywhere across the world, you PC/Laptop will act as if it is not connected to your home network, much like you are sitting in your home connected to your home wifi.
You still would not be able to access US content.

VPN unlimited works on the same principle, but it connects you to their servers, just to make you laptop/believe that you are a part of their local network sitting in US and so you can access US sites .......

Hope that made some sense .....:)

VPNunlimited is something different, you are mixing 2 things, VPNunlimited is a VPN service that gives you a VPN access to one of their servers in US, so that once connected you can have access to US content.

Probably, I should have been a bit more clear.

I want to use the VPN service of VPN unlimited and download the content into the NAS using the Synology's download manager. While I can achieve it by connecting a laptopn and logging into the VPN and point the destination to the NAS, I guess there should be a much more easier process for the same.

What is more easier than this, even I use it in the same way, there is chrome Synology plugin called (Synology Download Station), that I use which can capture the torrent links/direct download/ftp downloads and start downloading it via Synology download station. Making this super easy. I also use vpn to access the torrent site on chrome and then use the magnet link for the torrent to capture it and it starts to directly download on my Synology NAS, nothing can be more easy than this....:)

For cleaning, I tried the same blower mode with my vaccum cleaner and yes it did flush out 80% of the dust, but not all (probably coz mine was too over loaded with dust), I had to rip apart the device and clean it with heavy brush from all corners to get all the dust out completely. So yes if blower doesn't cut it, you got to use a heavy brush to get the cleaning done throughly... :)

If you could get one of this, its a great tool.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00S7CH6FK/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2TF7VU248CH6D&psc=1

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Had a question on setting up the VPN. I bought a lifetime VPN service from VPNunlimited. While this works fine, I want to ideally set it up in my NAS rather than using a laptop for the same. I have got the .ovpn file from the provider, but when I configure the same using Synology, it gaves an error in the certificate.

Is the right thing to do is to configure in the network and then use the settings or use VPN server (which I thought was not relevant in this case)?
You could configure VPN on your WiFi router, VPN unlimited provides guides for different devices, so all devices in your home use the VPN.

You could configure VPN on your WiFi router, VPN unlimited provides guides for different devices, so all devices in your home use the VPN.

Which is something I dont want to, as it limits the speed of my connection. But worst case, thats the route.

and if your router supports VPN, (not VPN passthrough), and not all routers support proper VPN

Hello everyone, I am confused between two products:
1. Synology DS116
2. Synology DS216J.

My requirements:
Streaming movies via android media player, downloading movies, viewing the same on ipad, mobile phones.

Will require only 4tb space, single disc, want no lags, good speed.

DS116 is 1 gb ram with 1.6 ghz processor.
Ds216j is 512 mb ram with 1 ghz processor.

Price wise Ds216j is little bit expensive for me.

Please suggest which one should I go for?

Thanks
Girish

"j" is low performance, nothing is medium and "+" is high performance, keeping the model number same, so 216+>216>216j

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back