Complete House Setup

Raghav

Hi All,

I am in the process of finalizing the AV Setup for my house. I am only naming a few models I know of. Please feel free to suggest otherwise. I require the system to cover the following areas:

1. Terraces (100% Music - Dance numbers, old hindi music, instrumentals)
4 Outdoor Speakers (Mirage OM5, Work)
Amplifier (CA340A, Yamaha RX497, )

These are outdoor areas where music will be played for parties or evenings. Thus quality should be good, nothing exceptional. VFM System is preferred.
Also keep in mind that the terraces are different hence each speaker should be stereo in itself. I am not sure if the above amplifier is OK. Please suggest alternatives if these are not the correct solution.

2. Parents Room (60% TV, 30% Movies, 10% Music)
Digital Sound Bar (Yamaha YSP3000, Denon DHT FS3, Philips Ambisound)

They already have a Plasma 42", DVD Player, STB. Will not be able to operate the complicated AVR and HT systems.

3. Living, Dining, Guest rooms (100% Music)
Yamaha MCX2000 + MCX-C15 in each room, Azur 640H based Icognito

I wanted to install a music server which could be accessed in these rooms. Only wished that these rooms have in ceiling speakers, a remote and a small display panel. No Subs or AVR or large amps. Have come across only the Yamaha and Cambridge Audio systems. Please advice how this works.

Bose Link :mad: :mad: the less said the better.

Taking a break:):). Now for the main parts:

4. My Bedroom (40% TV, 30% Music, 30% Movies - Choice covers a wide spectrum of New/Old English/Hindi Sitcoms News etc.)
4a. Two speakers in Bathroom (zone 2) for Music

52" Plasma: (no specific model in mind, distance to TV is 15 feet)
DVD Player: (Denon 1740, Oppo DV980H, Samsung HD870)
Speaker Package: (KEF3005, Mirage NanoSat or Omnisat V2, B&W MT20, Hardam Kardon Infinity Modulus 2)
AVReceiver: 7.1 powered Zone 2, Upscaling (Yamaha RX-V863, Onkyo 606, Marantz SR5003, Denon AVR-1909) Can i take a lower model and use upconversion instead of upscaling. I am confused by the terms.

Equipment i have will Include a STB, a VCR, DVD Recorder, camera and iPod to connect. Please suggest any change in the system including other models or antoher setup altogether. Open to ideas. Do I need a dedicated CDP over and above the DVD Player?

5. Home Theatre Room (60% Movies, 20% Sports, 20% Music)
Projector: (Epson TW700/Home 720, Optoma HD65, Panasonic AX200)
AV Receiver: (Yamaha RX-V563, Marantz SR4003, Denon AVR-1509)
Speakers : (Quad Lite, Q Acoustics 1010, Wharfedale 9.1, Polk TSi)
Screen: Do I need one or the wall will suffice.

Finally its over. Please to suggest any change or alternative models and equipment wherever you feel necessary. Budget is flexible. I think it should cost around 5 lacs without the Plasmas. Willing to spend if it is really adds to the experience.

I know I am asking for a lot of advice. Hence the choice of this forum. Thanks a lot in advance to all.

Raghav

Hi All,

I wanted to install a music server which could be accessed in these rooms. Only wished that these rooms have in ceiling speakers, a remote and a small display panel. No Subs or AVR or large amps. Have come across only the Yamaha and Cambridge Audio systems. Please advice how this works.

4. My Bedroom (40% TV, 30% Music, 30% Movies - Choice covers a wide spectrum of New/Old English/Hindi Sitcoms News etc.)

52" Plasma: (no specific model in mind, distance to TV is 15 feet)
Speaker Package: (KEF3005, Mirage NanoSat or Omnisat V2, B&W MT20, Hardam Kardon Infinity Modulus 2)
AVReceiver: 7.1 powered Zone 2, Upscaling (Yamaha RX-V863, Onkyo 606, Marantz SR5003, Denon AVR-1909) Can i take a lower model and use upconversion instead of upscaling. I am confused by the terms.

Equipment i have will Include a STB, a VCR, DVD Recorder, camera and iPod to connect. Please suggest any change in the system including other models or antoher setup altogether. Open to ideas. Do I need a dedicated CDP over and above the DVD Player?

Finally its over. Please to suggest any change or alternative models and equipment wherever you feel necessary. Budget is flexible. I think it should cost around 5 lacs without the Plasmas. Willing to spend if it is really adds to the experience.

I know I am asking for a lot of advice. Hence the choice of this forum. Thanks a lot in advance to all.

Raghav

Dear Raghav,

Interesting.:p

Installation of a Media server is good idea....This way you will future proof your house. ;) Though you can set up a wireless network media server, but if the installation is still going on then it would be a good idea to network you place with LAN cabling. This is more security secure as well as provides better band-width for the network, especially media.:)

There are some good D-link media-servers available and you can link them up with your main computer or server and have music/video playing all around your house including your terraces. plus it will also network for your laptops/ Wl access points etc.:cool:

While you have a huge selection and it would take time to respond to the whole lot.

My immidiate reaction was as to why you are selecting lower-end AV recievers models for your home theatre than your own room? I feel you should have the best equipment in your HT. That's your show case:confused:

In your HT, Fixed screen or a good quality motorised screen( which does not sag) is a good option....plain wall :eek: is a full No No....

Will try to respond on your other selection.....

Cheers!!

Thanks for the idea on LAN cabling instead of wireless. The house is still being renovated so all options are open. What is cost difference between the two and also what equipment is need at client locations? I want the clients locations to have bare minimum hardware to operate. Please enlighten.

The screen is now in the list of equipment (it was just an attempt at saving:))
However, I think i will try the wall initially to experiment and determine optimum screen size. Do you think it a good idea or I should install a screen to start with? Distance from screen would be 10 feet. what size and brand do you recommend.

Finally, the AVR setup. The room is used more often on a daily basis, especially for music. Also the AVR in the room needs powered Zone 2 as it is the source for the Bathroom too. Hence the higher model. However I am willing to upgrade both AVRs or swap them if it improves the experience subtantially.

Waiting for further responses. You may advice on any section, instead of the entire setup also.

Raghav

You have asked for a lot of questions in one post, so I will break at a high level.
First off I am assuming you have a pretty significant budget to get started on this long journey. Be prepared for frustrations and thrill in pretty equal measure as there are not that many audition options compared to the US or EU. But the journey and the destination will be a high that is hard to express in mere words.

From your requirements, logically break up your house into zones and cater to each one individually. If you are renovating the house, install inwall speakes whereever you want music. saves a ton and makes for a clean finish. If someone is coming from US (parts express inwall speakers are one of the best bang for the buck).

Hi All,

I am in the process of finalizing the AV Setup for my house. I am only naming a few models I know of. Please feel free to suggest otherwise. I require the system to cover the following areas:

1. Terraces (100% Music - Dance numbers, old hindi music, instrumentals)
4 Outdoor Speakers (Mirage OM5, Work)
Amplifier (CA340A, Yamaha RX497, )

These are outdoor areas where music will be played for parties or evenings. Thus quality should be good, nothing exceptional. VFM System is preferred.
Also keep in mind that the terraces are different hence each speaker should be stereo in itself. I am not sure if the above amplifier is OK. Please suggest alternatives if these are not the correct solution.
You may want to look at a 7.1 midrange system and use the 7.1 channel stereo DSP (in Yamaha but all AVRs have them in some form) to push the sound through. This means the same signal will flow through all channels and is perfect for party settings. If you can get wall speakers that will be great or even better would be outdoor wall speakers as they can handle the elements very well too. Some of these can be painted over as well.

2. Parents Room (60% TV, 30% Movies, 10% Music)
Digital Sound Bar (Yamaha YSP3000, Denon DHT FS3, Philips Ambisound)

They already have a Plasma 42", DVD Player, STB. Will not be able to operate the complicated AVR and HT systems.

Hook up a decent stereo receiver with 2 speakers. Thats it. Connect the DVD and STB to it via analog cables. HDMI or component for video. They should be very happy with the sound output. Also invest in a universal remote to switch on/off all components with the press of a single button.

3. Living, Dining, Guest rooms (100% Music)
Yamaha MCX2000 + MCX-C15 in each room, Azur 640H based Icognito

I have to think about this some more as I am not even sure how you are going to wire for speakers in these rooms and control the music across the rooms. My personal feeling is that you are going overboard here but I am sure you have equally valid reasons to be going down this route.

For starters, I am thinking you could place 3 stereo systems with each speaker in a diagonally opposite corner for aesthetics.

this should work. Look into bookshelves for all these. Outdoor speakers for the bathroom due to moisture.

42" Plasma: (no specific model in mind, distance to TV is 15 feet)

Raghav

How do you plan to operate all these systems assuming you can pull it off? There will be too much cross interference unless you are running sound proofing along the walls and doors.

From the models you are looking at, they are mostly average ones I would instead suggest to break out as following while upping on the components.

Living/Dining/Guest room - 1 system 7.1 with zone 2 incl. a sub

Parents & your bed rooms - 1 stereo system each

terrace - 1 system

How big are the rooms in dimension?

Hmm are goin to have some party going in your house after all this install.But you are also goin to get through a whole lot of confusion & heart burn before that.

For the
1.terraces get spk with IP protection. i.e they can with stand some amt of dust & moisture. There are a lot of decent brands with a whole range of outdoor solutions. After you select the spk the amp & rest can be decided.

2.If For your parents room if you wanna go the sound bar route you can choose any you like but i prefer the denon. Why not get a decent mini compo system? For plasma 1st choice pioneer & 2nd panasonic

3.A good set of ceiling spk or wall mount's will do, but they have to be installed appropriately so you get the right dispersion of sound. If you want a music server get the wiring done accordingly.

4.For you bed room why not get a bluray panasonic bd 35 cost's arnd 35k intstead of dvd player.
For spk & amps there are whole lot of options why don't you get an audiotion & see what kinda of sound you like as it will help in narrowing down your options. For plasma same chice as your folks room.
For your bathroom get spk which can withstand moisture.

5. For your HT room i would suggest get the acoustics done as well if done smartly they won't cost a bomb. there are lots of threads on this forum that you can refer. For the projector my choice would be Infocus & panasonic.
You can start with a painted screen but you'll have to upgrade to screen for better picture.
Would also suggest a bluray or may be a ps3 rather than a dvd player.
The choices of spk & amp can be decided after you get a few auditions.

I would suggest that you look around get confused & then ask questions & get even more confused & tired & then may be you'll have some clartiy:D

Your budget may be workable but it depends on your expecations. You can always go step wise if you do not want to compromise.

I would aslo strongly suggest that you spk to a few installers & get few ideas as that would help to integrate your ideas & your system.
All the very best.
Cheers

I would tend to agree with Neo...

In addition, make sure that you integrate your wiring first since you are still in the process of renovation.... If the flooring is not done, then a lot of cabling could be done before you put the tiles/marble...;)

If you want prefer to go the DIY route, then first do the wiring plans yourself. Alternatively, pl hire a good integrator or inteior designer who has done this kind of work before.

Please also remember to make the designs for complete cabling for LAN, speaker cables, Coaxial cables HDMI etc etc with necessary service boxes where you pull up the cables in the future in case of any problem. Home Theatre or your media room would be one such area where real planning/ routing of cables would play an important part.

Is this the better setup then

1. Terraces (40 X 20 Feet, 20 X 15, 20 X 15)

7.1 Yamaha RXV563 or Denon or Onkyo running in DSP stereo
Then Power the 7 speakers together (3 in large terrace and 2 each in smaller ones)

Speakers remain the same outdoor wall hung models
7 Outdoor Speakers (Mirage OM5, Work)

Are you sure this is superior because I felt there should be a dedicated Audio Recevier/Amplifier (there is absolutely no video) on the terrace.

2. Parent's Room (18 X 14 feet)
Still on the Yamaha YSP3000, Denon DHT FS3, Philips Ambisound
Yamaha RX497 with bookshelves not convinced.

I had given thought on the stereo suggested by you. Only hitch is that they may not appreciate the superior sound over the Aesthetics of a Sound Bar. (you remove an AVR + 2 Bookshelves with a single DSP) They are not much into music.

4. My bedroom (18 X 14 feet)

I am currently using a VCR (there is a in and out), iPod (CDR in), DVD(only in), Camera (Aux in) and STB (DTV in) in 5.1 Yamaha (2 yrs old) setup. There are no issues at all.

Please suggest for this room a AVR, DVD and speakers (some style needed).

5. HT Room (15 X 12 feet)
Similar setup as my room only plasma is replaced by Projector and speakers can be bookshelves.

Thanks

Raghav

Thanks for the idea on LAN cabling instead of wireless. The house is still being renovated so all options are open. What is cost difference between the two and also what equipment is need at client locations? I want the clients locations to have bare minimum hardware to operate. Please enlighten.

Raghav

LAN cabling is simple and cost effective...You would require Cat 6E cable, a router, and some LAN switches. This setup can be done along with a combination of wireless setup.:cool: Since you would be setting up now, it would be a good idea to set up with Gigabit ports.

The Server or your main PC would have all the media ( Video, Music, Photographs etc) which will be connected to your internal LAN(Local Area Network). All these files could be accessed thru a Media Lounge player (e.g. D-Link DSM 320, 520) which will be connected to your amp and speakers....
Simple....

Last edited:
Hi Raghav ,

Consider the JBL Control 28 speakers for the outdoor , its wheather proof and i am using these speakers for my balcony and garden for the Past three years and no Problem so far.

Mohan.

Hi Raghav ,

Consider the JBL Control 28 speakers for the outdoor , its wheather proof and i am using these speakers for my balcony and garden for the Past three years and no Problem so far.

Mohan.

I like your name "Sound of Music":p

I agree with you JBL control series speakers are exceptional. I have myself used Control CM62 for my HT as front left and right initially.

They still perform exceptionally well and they would be atleast 8-9 years old.:cool:

Thanks Soundofmusic and Gurudristi.

How much would the JBL Control 28 cost approx.?
has anyone compared them with Mirage OM5 / Work / B&W Weather Monitors

Hi Raghav,
Ur entire consept sounds good, & Gr8, But my dear please keep one thing in mind " KEEPING 4 SPEAKERS AT 4 CORNERS IS NOT A HOME THEATRE",You definetly need a proper ACOUSTIC ENGINEER to SET-IT-UP. You may buy everything up-to-date, but belive me I've seen people CRYING from inside after the installation is done, Because They havent got the desired PEACE OF MIND from that system.
The system is to be installed as per the EAR'S OF THE LISTNER'S. Just imagin, When you come back from your work with some STRESS IN UR MIND, may be work stress or any other...MUSIC is the only way to come out of it. AND that is possible only if that music matches your EAR'S.
SO MY HUMBLE REQUEST & SUGGESTION, BUY EVERYTHING GOOD, LATEST ect, BUT SEE TO IT THAT EVERY THING IS INSTALLED AS PER YOU AND UR FAMILY MEMBERS REQURIMENT.....

THANKS FOR READING ALL MY GAYAN...CHEERS:)
VIKRANT
ACOUSTIC ENGINEER (UK)

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely keeping an Interior Designer and Acoustic Consultant to work together on the cabling, speaker/projector placement and HT designing.

Choices cut down to the following:
1. Terrace - 7 Speakers
Work, Polk, B&W with Yamaha AVR in DSP mode

2. Parents Room
Sound Bar - Yamaha YSP-900 / Denon FS3

3. My Room (19 X14)
52" Plasma Panasonic / LG Full HD (Distance is 17 feet)
AVR - Denon 1909 / Onkyo 606
DVD - Denon 1740 / Samsung HD870
Speakers (KEF3005, B&W MT20/LCR7, Wharfedale RS10)

3. Home Theatre (13 X 12 or 10 X 16)
Projector (InFocus X9, Optoma HD65, Panasonic AX200)
AV Receiver (Yamaha RX-V663, Denon 1909)
Speakers 5.1 (Quad Lite, Monitor Audio BR2AV, Wharfedale 9.1, Polk RTi)
DVD Player (Denon 1940, Oppo 983)
Screen: Experiment on Wall then decide for 80'' or 100"

Cheers
Raghav

the jbl outdoor speakers may not give you the big sound that is required if youre having a party. am not sure how loud you want them to play. but if you want loud speakers that play good stereo music you could look at cerwin vega

in terms of listening to music how much time do you spend on it / how important is it to you. also which room do you normally listen to it in

I listen to mainly hindi film music. The music and TV will be mostly in the Bedroom while the Home Theatre will be for Movies, Sports and Gaming.

I can't help myself but say "wow" - thats a lot of cash (or credit) you are looking at to set these up. Good luck and happy experiences in the end ...

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely keeping an Interior Designer and Acoustic Consultant to work together on the cabling, speaker/projector placement and HT designing.

Choices cut down to the following:
1. Terrace - 7 Speakers
Work, Polk, B&W with Yamaha AVR in DSP mode

2. Parents Room
Sound Bar - Yamaha YSP-900 / Denon FS3

3. My Room (19 X14)
52" Plasma Panasonic / LG Full HD (Distance is 17 feet)
AVR - Denon 1909 / Onkyo 606
DVD - Denon 1740 / Samsung HD870
Speakers (KEF3005, B&W MT20/LCR7, Wharfedale RS10)

3. Home Theatre (13 X 12 or 10 X 16)
Projector (InFocus X9, Optoma HD65, Panasonic AX200)
AV Receiver (Yamaha RX-V663, Denon 1909)
Speakers 5.1 (Quad Lite, Monitor Audio BR2AV, Wharfedale 9.1, Polk RTi)
DVD Player (Denon 1940, Oppo 983)
Screen: Experiment on Wall then decide for 80'' or 100"

Cheers
Raghav

want to keep it within 500k. will be trying to source DVDs, AVRs, Projector from outside India. I think that will save a lot.

I listen to mainly hindi film music. The music and TV will be mostly in the Bedroom while the Home Theatre will be for Movies, Sports and Gaming.

my suggestion is to put in a pair of good bookshelves or floorstanders in your bedroom. if its large enough put in a sub as well. just a proper straightforward 2.0 / 2.1 system. similar system in your parents room, though maybe you can downscale it a bit if you want - depending on how much your parents are into music. put in a really nice surround sound system in your den. the other parts of the house im assuming you want something thats more background audio. put in good speakers but nothing powerful. this will help you save on your budget. hook it up to worldspace or something like that so that with a switch of a button you get background music on

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back