Component video vs HDMI

hauntedhunter

Hi,

I'm planning to buy Onkyo TX-SR304E AVR which says it has HDTV-capable (50 MHz) component video switching (3 inputs/1 output),but no HDMI. I also intend to buy a LCD TV and a HDMI DVD player. Can I connect them using this receiver ? Will I loose anything in terms of picture/audio quality compared to a AVR with HDMI ?

Please help.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm planning to buy Onkyo TX-SR304E AVR which says it has HDTV-capable (50 MHz) component video switching (3 inputs/1 output),but no HDMI. I also intend to buy a LCD TV and a HDMI DVD player. Can I connect them using this receiver ? Will I loose anything in terms of picture/audio quality compared to a AVR with HDMI ?

Please help.

Thanks

I think I answered the same exact question some time ago, but here goes again.

At the outset, I don't know what to call you - Haunted or Hunter. :) I have to settle to see a ghost or be shot at, eh?

Anyhow to answer your question, if both your TV and DVD Player support HDMI, connect the player to the TV directly through an HDMI cable. Connect the player to the 304E through a optical or coaxial digital cable. When you play, put the TV sound on mute. The 304 supports digital in.

This way you will get full scale video from the DVD Player/TV, and full surround sound from the AVR. You are not losing anything.

Cheers

Hi Haunted,
The Reciever you are planning to buy does support HDTV through component cables.This is only required if you are hooking up your dvd player to the reciever with component connection,which i guess is not required in your case.
You can very well directly connect your dvd player to the lcd tv through HDMI,which is gonna do the job of delivering Stunning HD.

Coming to the quality comparison and loss,this just depends on the kind of cabes you use,The basic principle difference between HDMI and Component is that HDMI carries both Video and audio signals together digitally,while Component just does the Video through 3 different cables(RGB/Y,pr,pb)in analogue.
Both can do 720 and 1080.The HDMI can do 1080p(progressive) which is better than the 1080i(interlaced).

So to conclude,you need not worry about the quality loss,Just sit back and enjoy the HD life...:)

Vj

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back