Composite inputs

Donivlapog

Hi all

I have an LG CX which has composite inputs, but i have never tried it. What devices can be paired with this and are there some advantages of having this over other inputs?

Hi all

I have an LG CX which has composite inputs, but i have never tried it. What devices can be paired with this and are there some advantages of having this over other inputs?
You have devices which have composite output (yellow coloured rca). This will be in SD video with 720×480 resolution. The video signal is a composite of Red Blue and Green. That's why it is called composite video input.

Some TVs also have component video input which is for HD resolution video (1920×1080 max). These will be three RCA inputs coloured Red Blue Green to carry three separate colour components (red, blue and green). Hence these type of inputs are called component video input

Some TVs give all kind of inputs (HDMI, composite and component). My panasonic tv from 2012 has two component video inputs, two composite inputs and 5 hdmi inputs. I have connected my doordarshan set top box to the composite video input and the TV upscales that to HD.

My Yamaha AVR too has all these inputs and that too upscales them to HDMI.

These connectors came before HDMI became an established standard. New TV sets don't have these inputs. My attrocious hisense tv of 2022 doesn't have them IIRC.

Last edited:
You have devices which have composite output (yellow coloured rca). This will be in SD video with 720×480 resolution. The video signal is a composite of Red Blue and Green. That's why it is called composite video input.

Some TVs also have component video input which is for HD resolution video (1920×1080 max). These will be three RCA inputs coloured Red Blue Green to carry three separate colour components (red, blue and green). Hence these type of inputs are called component video input

Some TVs give all kind of inputs (HDMI, composite and component). My panasonic tv from 2012 has two component video inputs, two composite inputs and 5 hdmi inputs. I have connected my doordarshan set top box to the composite video input and the TV upscales that to HD.

These connectors came before HDMI became an established standard. New TV sets don't have these inputs. My attrocious hisense tv of 2022 doesn't have them IIRC.
I bet i was using it a few years ago. Especially settop boxes and DVD players. But my current bluray player and settop box works with hdmi. More and more TVs these days come without them. So i think i must take pride in my LGCX having it as compared to LG C2 for example. I may have use for it someday.

Back then there were S-Video inputs and SCART. I threw out my SCART adaptor (had a Grundig TV years ago) only last year.

Last edited:
SONY have not forgotten to include a set of component IN and a smart Composite (A/V 4 pole socket with an adaptor cable with female RCA sockets) in my present 2016 BRAVIA.

Back then there were S-Video inputs and SCART. I threw out my SCART adaptor (had a Grundig TV years ago) only last year.
My Philip rear projection TV (2003) came with this scart adapter. This was a 55" tv and huge and had proper 8" speaker drivers at the bottom. You can see the bottom section which had these two drivers. This tv i gave it free with the house i sold in Chennai when I relocated to Pune. Till date i haven't seen a tv with a proper sound. The thin flat tv now days compromise on speakers with thin rectangular speakers. The tv had component video input which I used for HD. No HDMI. I absolutely miss this tv.

I got income tax notice for purchasing this tv in 2003. It was 1.5 L those days. It was absolute harassment from the IT guys even though I was a salaried guy and paying all my taxes and had purchased this tv in full white money. After that I got IT notices almost every two years. It stopped only when I shifted to Pune and they stopped when any new notices had to be transferred to Pune.
htpc.jpeg

Last edited:
My Philip rear projection TV (2003) came with this scart adapter. This was a 55" tv and huge and had proper 8" speaker drivers at the bottom. You can see the bottom section which had these two drivers. This tv i gave it free with the house i sold in Chennai when I relocated to Pune. Till date i haven't seen a tv with a proper sound. The thin flat tv compromise on speakers with thin rectangular speakers. The tv had component video input which I used for HD. No HDMI. I absolutely miss this tv.

I got income tax notice for purchasing this tv in 2003. It was 1.5 L those days. It was absolute harassment from the IT guys even though I was a salaried guy and paying all my taxes and had purchased this tv in full white money. After that I got IT notices almost every two years. It stopped only when I shifted to Pune and they stopped when any new notices had to be transferred to Pune.
View attachment 72075
Those TVs had the proper sound. You might remember Binatone that came with two 2 way speakers that could be separated. That TV could be used as a music system too.

My old Grundig a 29 inch one too had a superb sound with two 6" x 4" full rangers and two 1" tweeters. Had to discard when it became costly to replace a couple of caps that used to regularly blow. Should have extracted the speakers and the learning multi device remote that came with it. Shame on me.
100_0019.JPG

So that was my first big TV (2000) and a midi system Onkyo PTS-707 (1998) to start with

Those TVs had the proper sound. You might remember Binatone that came with two 2 way speakers that could be separated. That TV could be used as a music system too.

My old Grundig a 29 inch one too had a superb sound with two 6" x 4" full rangers and two 1" tweeters. Had to discard when it became costly to replace a couple of caps that used to regularly blow. Should have extracted the speakers and the learning multi device remote that came with it. Shame on me.
View attachment 72076

So that was my first big TV (2000) and a midi system Onkyo PTS-707 (1998) to start with

You gain some and lose some. Picture clarity has improved multifold but sound quality keeps on decreasing. With bezel less TV you have the speakers facing backwards and what you get is the refected sound. I guess TV manufacturers expect you to buy their own sound bars.

View attachment 72076

In 2001, I bought a BPL India 25" CRT TV which looked just like that.(4500 emi in those days for 6 months, night shift BPO and so i seldom watched the TV) In those days if we buy a TV tuner card and attach it in the CPU (i had an AMD K6 II based CPU), you could watch and record programs. The VCR i had, could too attached to the 25" TV but i would have to pay 1000s to convert it into CD format. We were able to record the WTC attacks in my computer when we saw the same in the BPL TV. My mother called my older sister who had settled in New Jersey a year ago(2000) the ghastly event back in 2001 through a hack of a voip phone i had created using Yahoo chat - ie call her giving a missed call through isd line and do voice chat by the 64 kbps dsl (maybe a year before that was even dial up twine doo doo sound).

When technology changes we drop all those past technologies that i even forgot the Composite/component technology which i recently used also a few years ago. I even ripped mp3 from audio CD using Franhofer free software. I had also fiddled with a K Jofol player with VQF, Mp4 formats. Now a days i dont even want to try out obsolete formats, its a shame i have become real lazy.

Last edited:
In 2001, I bought a BPL India 25" CRT TV which looked just like that.(4500 emi in those days for 6 months, night shift BPO and so i seldom watched the TV) In those days if we buy a TV tuner card and attach it in the CPU (i had an AMD K6 II based CPU), you could watch and record programs. The VCR i had, could too attached to the 25" TV but i would have to pay 1000s to convert it into CD format. We were able to record the WTC attacks in my computer when we saw the same in the BPL TV. My mother called my older sister who had settled in New Jersey a year ago(2000) the ghastly event back in 2001 through a hack of a voip phone i had created using Yahoo chat - ie call her giving a missed call through isd line and do voice chat by the 64 kbps dsl (maybe a year before that was even dial up twine doo doo sound).

When technology changes we drop all those past technologies that i even forgot the Composite/component technology which i recently used also a few years ago. I even ripped mp3 from audio CD using Franhofer free software. I had also fiddled with a K Jofol player with VQF, Mp4 formats. Now a days i dont even want to try out obsolete formats, its a shame i have become real lazy.

True.. so many good things we tried out. I still have the Imation Media Player that could record analogue input to MP4. Lost it's credit card size remote since long and it is useless now. Could still use it's software interface to use it. Now it may not work on win11. Same with another ADC dongle both video and audio. Had used it with Audacity to convert audio tapes to CD. It's all now in the junk box. No time from the mobile, lazy and lost touch with all those tinkering and learning :mad::mad:

True.. so many good things we tried out. I still have the Imation Media Player that could record analogue input to MP4. Lost it's credit card size remote since long and it is useless now. Could still use it's software interface to use it. Now it may not work on win11. Same with another ADC dongle both video and audio. Had used it with Audacity to convert audio tapes to CD. It's all now in the junk box. No time from the mobile, lazy and lost touch with all those tinkering and learning :mad::mad:
Yes the softwares of those days had processors and OS of those days kept in mind and may not function now. In those days you could make real good money converting tapes to CDs. A 50k hardware plus 60k computer and a shop in a prime location and each day you could make thousands. But then competition made things harder for those in business and the field died on its own as consumers could get conversion done in their homes itself with some cards or adaptors or a combination of both.

There was a time in late 1980s when we were the only house in the street to have a colour TV and a VCR. My sister made pocket money playing Saagara Sangamam(Salangai Oli in Tamil), Mayuri, Sindhu Bhairavi, Moondram Pirai (for that matter any Kamal Haasan films of 80s) to her classmates who visited us. We even brought a friend's VCP so that we could record from one cassette to another but the cassette lending shop found it out and he stopped lending to us. It cost Rs.10 a day and VHS cassettes original cost Rs.250 from the famous Raj Video Vision Mountroad. The cassette lending guy brokeeven in 30 days but usually the craze for cassettes post 130 days was less and it would sit idle. (He usually got it after theatrical run of 100 days or something to factor that in). His odds were only a few who had the affordability to own a VCP/R along with a TV set could be his target audience plus cost of cassettes of star actors were high and yet he made money in that business and bought a house that costs a few crores today.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back