Computer - long cable run to stereo - advice please

@OP This is what I use to stream music from a computer to receiver wirelessly using rca connector from little box to receiver.

ptv
mgLWhv3MYApS5NPIhg-M3TA.jpg

This one requires intel I core processor. Which cpu are you using?

Just check and see if your setup can use it. I have been able to play music wirelessly for upto 40 feet with it but could not test more than 40 because i do not have such a long stretch of space in the apartment we live. Since the length you describe travels vertically, if your distance is around 40 feet horizontally from pc to receiver without multiple walls, this might be a good solution for you. However, I do not know what DAC it uses or what opamp it uses. So if you're not too picky about sound quality this will probably do the job (given ofcourse your cpu is compatible)

Here is another model that is not dependant on inter core i cpu's.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/hometheater/media-players/PTVU1000.aspx

I have no experience with this one but appears to be something similar using 3.5mm out for analog output.

Last edited:
I had done this long ago and it worked. However, I used to have this powerful sound card which could drive speakers (without inbuilt amplifiers) directly. I used shielded wire to avoid hum and noise. The distance between the PC and audio rack was about 50ft. Was using this method for playing music through my audio system. These were the days before the advent of cd players which would play mp3 files. I've also done the reverse where in the tape out of my audio system was connected to the line input on the sound card, used this for recording live radio programming from worldspace.

Advice please?
I have a significant amount of mp3s (some 128Kbps, most 160Kbps) on an external hard drive that I want to play through my stereo receiver. Problem is my computer and stereo are 70ft apart and whatever I use to connect them will go into the wall, up and through my attic, then back down to the stereo(total of 70ft). Computer is recent Dell desktop with integrated soundcard. Stereo receiver is older Yamaha RX-V995. Paradigm speakers. Goal is best sound I can get given the source.
Should I:
1. Just come out of the computer digitally and run RG6 to my receiver and let it do the DAC work? -or-
2. Get a good sound card and come out of the sound card analog for the long run to the receiver? or-
3. Insert a DAC at one end or the other?
4. Your recommendation on another alternative?
5. Am I overthinking thisie: either way will be fine? The long run has me wondering what will be best.

The correct way to EXTEND a digital sPDIF signal like coax 75-ohms OR TosLink would be to use Extenders.

There will be 2 small boxes; one is a Sender - the other a Receiver. The interconnecting cable between the "Sender" & "Receiver" is a CAT-5 cable. 100 metres the signal can be pushed without any deterioration.

The Sender box is kept a few feet from the PC. The Receiver a few feet from the AVR.

Gefen, LLC - Digital Audio Extender

the device though costs $199 :eek:hyeah:

Thanks 2chfreak...that seems like the right solution for me. I really appreciate your jumping in.

To others who suggested wireless solutions: thanks for your suggestions, I know wireless is typically a good option but the number of walls and appliances between the PC in my office and stereo in family room has thus far made our home wifi experience a little less than perfect. :sad: That's why my preference (if I'm going to spend on an experiment) is a hardwire solution.

I have successfully used a self made 30 feet digital coaxial cable and if your stereo has a digital input you may use it. Cost me 100 bucks. Just purchased a shielded copper cable used in connecting tape recorder heads to pre amplifier circuit. Connected RCA pins on either side a viola it worked. Connects my spdif computer out to my denon receiver. Optical is tougher and costlier.

Last edited:
The correct way to EXTEND a digital sPDIF signal like coax 75-ohms OR TosLink would be to use Extenders.

There will be 2 small boxes; one is a Sender - the other a Receiver. The interconnecting cable between the "Sender" & "Receiver" is a CAT-5 cable. 100 metres the signal can be pushed without any deterioration.

The Sender box is kept a few feet from the PC. The Receiver a few feet from the AVR.

Gefen, LLC - Digital Audio Extender

the device though costs $199 :eek:hyeah:

The perfect gadget. Well found! :clapping:

I just saw a 50ft (15m) TOSLink-TOSLink cable in a store today. They must work if they exist. My guess is that some search on eBay should cough up longer lengths. Just a thought.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back