Concealing in-wall speakers

thanks mate, i'm same suniil in all the forums. I live & sleep here most of the time.

Hi Suniil. Indeed I have heard abt them. Can't go with these:
1) Not much availability in India.
2) I want to re-use spk set I have. Will be spending on AVR instead as of now.

BTW. Congratulations for your new setup. I saw the pics on the other forum (If I am not mistaken). It has come out "fantabulous".

Raman

I understand you mentioned the term "re-use". I've few concerns on this project

a. why you want to make it hidden?
b. how you make the speakers directional to your listening position?
c. you made a perfect cavity, placed the speaker and later if you change the mind, would that be a pain to refill the cavity and re-decor?

You can do that but you will have some problem with respect to room acoustics.sat are designed to be placed in wall but you should keep open space on sides of the sat.

There are specfic calculation for same which if you are interested I call elaborate.

But for best results as ranjeetrain suggested wall mount it don't conceal.

and why u wanna conceal "BOSE" ??.You paid the premium and bought it :)

Not ideal since you won't be able to rotate the satellites to optimize the sound as intended by the design

Satellites (cubes) have a width of 8 cm, rotation requires a further 1" either side, that means a total displacement of 13 cm approx. the Cavity size has been kept much larger at approx 40 cm (on width). Although I am doing the spk placement as per Dolby stds., I am keeping 2 levels of buffer:
1) Audyssey MultiEQ (should compensate for minor corrections)
2) Cavity size larger (in width) than the space required for each satellite (includes rotation of the cubes and lateral shift on the shelf).

Does it "sound" good?
but YES, it will work.
Thanx...for a YES...that gives a sigh a relief.

This is where I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to hide your sub.

Yes absolutely, satelites can be hidden. They will be just fine. But it would be even better to wall mount them rather than wall install. That will be a lot more flexible.

Flexibility (rotation and lateral movement) should be taken care of by the cavity size (15-16") width (as explained in my previous post).

a. why you want to make it hidden?
- Aesthetics, minimalistic design, and the ubiquitous "wife factor".

b. how you make the speakers directional to your listening position?
- I don't intend to make it entirely dependent/directional on listening position (don't want people to run for the best seating position :) ), hence the choice for Audyssey MultiEq. Secondly there are two cubes per satellite. I intend to offset the upper cube slightly to cover more listening area.

c. you made a perfect cavity, placed the speaker and later if you change the mind, would that be a pain to refill the cavity and re-decor?
- Well that's a point I did convince to my father (he is also an elect. engg and an AV enthusiast), and the rationale behind this is- We don't intend to move our TV arrangement (or to a new house), and hence spk positioning will be more or less fixed.
Secondly if I would change my mind- The cavity would be covered with a portrait which can still be there without the speakers. Or the portrait can be taken off and instead the cavity can be used to house a decorative vase/artifact.

Do you think this is justified. more criticism/ideas most welcome. Awaiting responses.

Regards
Raman
Note: Thanks to all you guys for helping me.

Flexibility (rotation and lateral movement) should be taken care of by the cavity size (15-16") width (as explained in my previous post).

Give it a shot. I have a feeling the sound won't be same. It might be better or may be worse, but theres no harm in trying.

You can do that but you will have some problem with respect to room acoustics.sat are designed to be placed in wall but you should keep open space on sides of the sat.
I am doing that. (pls refer my previous post(s))

There are specfic calculation for same which if you are interested I call elaborate.

I would love to hear on this front. As I would like my calculations to incorporate them. (Pls note I have replied with some more details)

But for best results as ranjeetrain suggested wall mount it don't conceal.
I have some constraints which I explained in response to Suniil's post above.

and why u wanna conceal "BOSE" ??.You paid the premium and bought it :)
They ain't Bose dear. My speakers are Chinese (but good quality) and have a resemblance to the Bose's accoustimass (may be one day I will buy something better than Bose).

Give it a shot. I have a feeling the sound won't be same. It might be better or may be worse, but theres no harm in trying.

With due respect, I welcome criticism. Since without it I wouldn't have asked for opinions. Dear friend, it would be futile digging up the cavity and re-doing it if it's not going to work (i.e sound is pathetic/flawed). It ain't a workshop...Its our living room :)mad: .... :D just joking) and has a cost attached to it (I would be concealing the wires in the conduits as well). So I need to be technically/theoretically sure that the project is feasible. And hence I need advice from experts like you ;)

Man, you are some man. Cmon, be brave, let there be one just for the sake of looks (You could always say, they are BOSE) :D Even if you didn't people would just *assume* ;)

On a serious note, sound will be a bit directional. How much it affects at your current seating position can be a matter of discussion.

Let me guess. Are they Telome.

Poor guess I know. I was never good at guessing :eek:

That was quite near. I think the OEM vendor for Telome and my "Artis" speakers are the same.

But u know what, I had a test with Denon 1708 with 2 sats and my sub. The shopowner's and my f/b was that the satellites are sounding punchy and clear but the sub was a little underworked. Instead he had a ||el comparison with some Jamo spks and we found that my speakers were handling much more power than the Jamo ones without distorting. I then decided, to go in for a good AVR and 1 year later maybe upgrade with some good 5.1 sets. (5 years ago these spkrs costed me 14K!!)

That was quite near. I think the OEM vendor for Telome and my "Artis" speakers are the same.

But u know what, I had a test with Denon 1708 with 2 sats and my sub. The shopowner's and my f/b was that the satellites are sounding punchy and clear but the sub was a little underworked. Instead he had a ||el comparison with some Jamo spks and we found that my speakers were handling much more power than the Jamo ones without distorting. I then decided, to go in for a good AVR and 1 year later maybe upgrade with some good 5.1 sets. (5 years ago these spkrs costed me 14K!!)

Hey, not bad at all, whatever suits your ears. I heard some Telomes installations. To an ordinary person (as if we are extraordinary with a bit of audio knowledge) they will feel and sound like a Bose :)

Man, you are some man. Cmon, be brave, let there be one just for the sake of looks (You could always say, they are BOSE) :D Even if you didn't people would just *assume* ;)
:-D .Well I am not concealing for the sake of hiding the brand..I would have done it, even with the Bose.

On a serious note, sound will be a bit directional. How much it affects at your current seating position can be a matter of discussion.
Well lets see...Fingers crossed.

Okay raman, you convinced me.

how about having a wired mesh painted / sprayed with same wall colour, that gives you the look of in-wall speakers (sorry if others mentioned this)?

----------------
BOSE Buy Other Sound Equipment

Okay raman, you convinced me.

Great. Can I have your (THX) certification SIR ;)
To all other guys, Suniil is a thorough DIY guy.

how about having a wired mesh painted / sprayed with same wall colour, that gives you the look of in-wall speakers (sorry if others mentioned this)?
I am planning to go in for screen printing (on a acoustically transparent material) with artistic paintings of my kid/family. I did consider the painting idea, but after having researched a lot on that, I came to the conclusion that , one needs a expertise in that. Some people use same colored fabrics to conceal.

----------------
BOSE Buy Other Sound Equipment
I agree with that one!!

hope you enjoyed this thread with wierd questions & suggestions. Thanks for tolerating!

Great. Can I have your (THX) certification SIR ;)
To all other guys, Suniil is a thorough DIY guy.

I am planning to go in for screen printing (on a acoustically transparent material) with artistic paintings of my kid/family. I did consider the painting idea, but after having researched a lot on that, I came to the conclusion that , one needs a expertise in that. Some people use same colored fabrics to conceal.

----------------

I agree with that one!!

The suggestions were most welcome. I hope it is useful to someone looking for a similar setting.

Thanks mate.

Satellites (cubes) have a width of 8 cm, rotation requires a further 1" either side, that means a total displacement of 13 cm approx. the Cavity size has been kept much larger at approx 40 cm (on width).

This is not enough.You have to leave 2 feets from any wall expect back(in case of sat) to get best results.other wise speakers sounds artifical

Yes Indeed, I am aware that the spkrs need to be placed some feet away from the wall. The Cavity will be atleast 2-3 feet away from the wall.

Raman

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back