confused abt Wifi modem vs. router, specs, brands

X man

I have MTNL wifi connection at home (in bedroom) but that doesnt cover my entire home (living room). I have telephone sockets in the other rooms and was wondering if I could cover my living room by connecting another wifi router to the living room telephone socket directly. I have just one modem with my MTNL connection.

Though I am not quite familiar with all this, I found out I may actually need another modem or a wifi router modem instead of a wif i router...to connect the router to the telephone/ADSL line. Few guys suggested I need an extender and that should solve my issue, though I think a router could give me additional features/benefits.

Please advise
a) Should I use a wifi modem/ router or a wifi router or an extender
b) what are the other benefits of using a router... (music, movies etc)
c) am confused about specs and the price range as it costs from 2.5k to 11-12K. Not sure what the advantages or disadvantages
d) Should I prefer Belkin or Cisco or Dlink etc.

Many Thanks

Iv recently changed my VSNL fixed line Type 1 modem to D Link N300 wireless modem cum router which costed me Rs.2200. The wifi range extender from Digisol costed Rs.3500.

I assume you have a wifi modem (modem+router built in), I would suggest you to go for access points which can amplify wireless signals to wide area. Based on my experience cisco will be a better choice.

First place your existing wifi router at about the 'geographical' center of your home, away from any large metallic surfaces and at a slightly high spot.

If still you don't get the signal, get a wifi extender / repeater.

As you already have a modem and wifi router, you don't need another modem. You cannot connect another modem to another phone socket. What you need is another wifi router configured as an access point. This wifi router is to be placed in another part of your house to extend the coverage of your primary wifi router. This will be communicating with your primary router. Most wifi routers can be configured as access points. I have been using an Asus router as an access point and it cost me about Rs.1,500. Hope this helps you.

pnreddy

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back