Confused Soul- Home theatre set up- 2Lac or 4 Lac?

navin119

I am not a complete audiophile but everyone likes good sound quality. I had used this forum to buy my first AVR Denon 1612 few years back. Now its time to upgrade.

Requirement. To buy a home theatre setup for living room in an under-construction flat in Hyd. 60% Video. 40% audio.
Budget- For audio (including acoustic treatment, excluding Video) initially 2 Lac. But if I get good response, it could jump to 4 Lacs.
Set Up. Looking between 5.1.2 or 5.2.4 setup
Room . Living room, no other specific purpose( not drawing/ dining area). But lots of openings. Size 18’ x13’. Behind TV- 13’wall, behind sitting position- 10’ glass window. One side 13’ glass door and other side 5’ wooden door. Ht around 8’+ after standard gypsum board false ceiling( planned).

However I am in a big dilemma. Request inputs from forum members with their knowledge and experience to help me decide.
1 Does my room size support 5.2.4 or is a 5.1.2 adequate?
2 Is Atmos 5.2.4 worth the additional 1.5 Lacs ( with AVR , Atmos speakers and additional subwoofer)? Is Atmos really a game changer or more of a novelty thing?
3. The room has too much glass/ openings. Will the Sound Quality be satisfactory even after spending so much money? Or will I keep blaming the room acoustics later?
4. What is the basic acoustic treatment that I can do now ( apart from curtains, carpet)? (Not planning to convert it to a Media room).
5. Can I use the HT with all inputs ie USB, DVD, Setbox box, etc for Amazon/ internet music and Netflix/ Pens drive movies etc or are there any major compatibility issues?
6. I plan to buy a 75inch TV. Is projector a worthwhile alternative?

The SQ as in a fully setup studio is not possible in our rooms with inherent limitations. Will I get a reasonable SQ after investing so much?

HT setup living.jpg

Navin, Please find the below reply inline:-

1. Yes comfortably both 5.1.2 and 5.2.4. You also need to mention the height as well and get the cubic meter. L X B X H
2. Based on 1.5L additional, Answer is NO. But overall worth if you ask, The answer is Yes.
And for Atmos & DTS:X, They both are Game Changers and you will definitely feel a difference.
3. You will never be satisfactory with the absolute sound quality if you planning for a Living Room, It just needs too much acoustics to treat.
A dedicated home theater is the way to go where you can treat the room properly with acoustics and with even a decent 5.1.2 Gear your room will sound superb!!
4. Reflectors and Bass Traps. The Later one is easier to do around corners or at the ceiling joints.
5. Yes, A very Good AVR can do all those.
6. For a price of a good brand 75" TV, You will get a very good Projector but one thing is that if you are using HT in your living room, It is advised to go for a TV rather than Projector. For projectors always a dedicated and dark room needed to avail the Theater benefits.

You do get a very good sound quality if you invest in very good audio components even with the minimal carpets and curtains acoustics.

Good Luck in your hunt and you can reach us anytime. Cheers :)

Dear Gamerps360.
Thanks a lot for taking out your time to clarify my doubts.

The ceiling height is closer to 10 '. Should be around 8'6" after false ceiling.

Will a 5.2.4 be an overkill in this room.
I would rather prefer 5.1.4.

If you are serious about sound quality (SQ), consider the following:
a) Lining the 13' TV wall with low frequency absorbing material - glass wool or ecose in wooden frames/panels and some bass traps as well on either side
b) The 13' wall on the right side of seating position - unobtrusive panels with wood wool/glass wool/ecose
c) The 10' window - is it full length or just 4' in height? You may have the window start at 2.5' height from the floor and use the 10x2.5' or at least 9x2' wall area to have a 6 to 10 inch deep rockwool/glasswool stuffed panel - this can be hidden by the couch(es).
d) You can search for lining the gypsum ceilings with sound absorbent material - 2" to 4" rockwool/glasswool slabs on the gypsum board towards ceiling side - this will give you the most effective result
You can acheive 60..70% of the desired SQ by buying the right equipment, but the rest will depend on your room, acoustic treatment, tuning etc. Fix up the budget for AVR/(amp)/Speakers/cables/TV/treatment separately and stick to them. Allot the 4L budget, you will not regret it.

Last edited:
However I am in a big dilemma. Request inputs from forum members with their knowledge and experience to help me decide.

I would recommend you can go with 5.1.2 initially. You may add one more sub woofer later if you feel bass is lacking.
And add 2 more atmos speakers later if you really need.

Instead you may spend money on buying a good AVR . Make sure your AVR supports all channel preout options for future addition of power amps.

2 Is Atmos 5.2.4 worth the additional 1.5 Lacs ( with AVR , Atmos speakers and additional subwoofer)? Is Atmos really a game changer or more of a novelty thing?
For atmos you just need two or four additional speakers. You may look at any ceiling mounting speakers. It wont cost much.
But if you need to spend on AVR only for atmos , then its yes or no. depends on what you want.
There are not much atmos content available in netflix and other sources currently.

But you may consider upgrading AVR for good sound quality improvements. The existing Denon you have is a basic model i think.

3. The room has too much glass/ openings. Will the Sound Quality be satisfactory even after spending so much money? Or will I keep blaming the room acoustics later?
For living room this is the challenge. But it does not mean your setup will not work well. If its dedicated HT room it will work best.
When i had setup in my living room , i always felt the sound was working best in the night , because we shut all the doors and there's no noice from outside. Later i moved my setup to dedicated HT room.

5. Can I use the HT with all inputs ie USB, DVD, Setbox box, etc for Amazon/ internet music and Netflix/ Pens drive movies etc or are there any major compatibility issues?
You can do all . Latest AVRs support all . They support even playback music from pendrives / Wifi / blutooth/ and streaming servers.

For living room TV is the best to go. For projector to work you need dark room. Also watching TV Channel programs , Netflix , and streaming looks best on TV.
Probably later when you have dedicated HT room you may consider projector.

Last edited:
Set Up. Looking between 5.1.2 or 5.2.4 setup

You may go with the best affordable 5.1 or 5.1.2 now and later exapnd to 5/7.2.4 as required. However, have wiring in place for minimum 2 subs and 4 atmos speakers.
Avoid any more glass shelves, showcases/bookcases with glass doors in the room. You have too much glass area now.
Get a shield pro or similar streamer box and all your sources (OTT music, movies, pen drives, hard drives etc) will be taken care of.

What has been finalized after your inputs..
The flat is under construction.
The budget is around 2-3L for audio, including AVR and all speakers.

1. It's a 5.1.4 setup, will add second subwoofer later, if required. Will invest in a good AVR.
2. Will fix some seperate budget for bass traps and wall reflectors, which I will do later after setting up the HT.
3. TV Wall ..will treat now.
4. False ceiling..will add some absorbant lining now.
5. Will fix the cables for 4 Atmos ceiling speakers now.

Do I need to treat complete ceiling and TV Wall or just the first reflection point is adequate. It will affect my budget.

2. Will fix some seperate budget for bass traps and wall reflectors, which I will do later after setting up the HT.
3. TV Wall ..will treat now.
4. False ceiling..will add some absorbant lining now.
5. Will fix the cables for 4 Atmos ceiling speakers now.
Do I need to treat complete ceiling and TV Wall or just the first reflection point is adequate. It will affect my budget.
Fix cables (or the pipe/conduit) for electric and coaxial for 2nd sub also now,

If you line the entire ceiling, tv wall and have the 10x2ft bass trap in the area below the 10' window, the rest can be added later.

Dear Gamerps360.
Thanks a lot for taking out your time to clarify my doubts.

The ceiling height is closer to 10 '. Should be around 8'6" after false ceiling.

Will a 5.2.4 be an overkill in this room.
I would rather prefer 5.1.4.
Dual Subwoofers doesn't increase the volume of the lows. But, multiple Subwoofers can eliminate standing waves problem and can spread the bass evenly throughout the room (except near the back and front walls of the subwoofer).

Dual subs are more is far more easy to setup and it doesn't require you to more carefully place the subs.

Sandwiching the subs between the front main speakers or putting the subs on the corners on the front stage is a good starting point.

Multiple small subs usually does sound much better than placing one large sub.

Just my experience and that's what famous subwoofer manufacturers say.

I assume the 2nd subwoofer, whenever added, will be behind the listening area.
So you suggest I fix the pipe all the way through the false ceiling now?
Or thru the flooring if it is not done yet. The sub needs one RCA cable (minimum) from the AVR and a local power point.

Need some clarification.

I am looking at a home theatre set up. Initiallly build to 5.1.4, later maybe add another sub for 5.2.4
As per my understanding, I will be using the following components-
AVR, PS/ X Box, Stabiliser, Maybe Set top box. Movies through Amazon/ Netflix etc ( Chromecast ..) or hard drive
Music through Amazon/ USB pens drive

What other components do you think I would be needing?

Need some clarification.

I am looking at a home theatre set up. Initiallly build to 5.1.4, later maybe add another sub for 5.2.4
As per my understanding, I will be using the following components-
AVR, PS/ X Box, Stabiliser, Maybe Set top box. Movies through Amazon/ Netflix etc ( Chromecast ..) or hard drive
Music through Amazon/ USB pens drive

What other components do you think I would be needing?
Depending on the room/ number of seats sometimes even 1 subwoofer is sufficient.. so analyse that first.

You need to have a separate line for HT components of possible.

Choose AVR with pre outs so that you can add power amps in future.

Depending on the room/ number of seats sometimes even 1 subwoofer is sufficient.. so analyse that first.

You need to have a separate line for HT components of possible.

Choose AVR with pre outs so that you can add power amps in future.
Thanks Pratik.

Was wanting to know if I may require a Preamp, Amp, DAC..... etc...etc
And what other components are generally used for a HT set-up?
And when do we need them?

Thanks Pratik.

Was wanting to know if I may require a Preamp, Amp, DAC..... etc...etc
And what other components are generally used for a HT set-up?
And when do we need them?
A AVR will perform most of the functions..( like DAC, preamp, amplifier etc)
However separate power amps will give much improved audio quality.( Keep it as a future upgrade option)

Stabiliser
Power conditioning( optional)
AVR
Any streaming devices( your choice)
Speakers + speaker cables
Subwoofer ( look for subwoofer with parametric EQ)

Anything else depends on your specific requirements..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back