Confusion about write speed of SDHC card

shredder

Hypothetical case:
An SDHC card of 16GB has a write speed of 15MB per second.
A particular camera records Full HD video at 14 mbps.
So will the SDHC card be capable of being used for seamless HD video recording with the camera, without any buffering problems, etc?

TIA

Hypothetical case:
An SDHC card of 16GB has a write speed of 15MB per second.
A particular camera records Full HD video at 14 mbps.
So will the SDHC card be capable of being used for seamless HD video recording with the camera, without any buffering problems, etc?

TIA

Every SD card comes with something called "CLASS" this determines the speed at which it writes to the card. Usually Class 4 or Class 10 and more and also the price increases with more write speed.

Thanks

Yes I do know about Class. The SDHC card in question, being able to write at 15MB per second would automatically be classed as Class 10. But, will that be enough to seamlessly record HD video at 14 mbps? All Class 10 cards are not equal in speed. Class 10 is the minimum write speed of 10 MBps. All cards which can do this are classed as Class 10.
My question is whether the Class 10 card at 15MBps speed can record video at 14mbps.

Last edited:
OK I seem to have found the solution.
Here is the lowdown: MBps = Mega BYTES per second.
mbps = mega bits per second.
1 Megabyte = 8 megabits.
SO to do the math: 15MBps = 120mbps.
Theoretically, the card should have no problem writing 14mbps data.
Theoretically, a Class 6 card (minimum of 48mbps) should also have no problem with 14mbps.
Though I wonder how it works out in a real life scenario.

a class 6 would be sufficient for your new cam... dude.. :)

class 4 might show problems as while recording video the cam might run out of its dynamic memory and will hold no buffer..

Back