Connect a DVD player to Computer Monitor

cha_indian

I need to connect a Sony DAV DZ120K HTiB to a 22 inch Acer monitor.

*The acer monitor accepts HDMI and DVI.
*Sony can send out in S-video output, composite video output; component-video output

How to connect the two ??

Last edited:

*Sony can send out in S-video output, composite video output; component-video output

I m not sure if there is DVI to component connecter?

only solution i see w/o running pc is : Ebay-lcd-tuner-Rs1600

I am not sure of video quality i used to use a cheap USB tuner box with lappy , it has s-video for folder navigation while playing music.

better grab a hdmi DVD player coz video quality wise :
on a scale of 1-10 (1-worst, 10-best):

HDMI/DVI - 10
Component - 9
S-Video - 6
VGA - 5
Composite - 3
Coaxial - 1

I am not sure this will work at all. Please check the specifications.

If the Acer is just a monitor, you need to connect it to a computer (laptop or desktop) for it to play any video. If you connect to a DVD Player, you will not get any signals. The data signals between a DVDP<>TV and between a Computer<>Monitor are completely different.

If the Acer is specified as a TV cum monitor then you can figure out how to connect.

Cheers

Hi,

I have connected my pioneer dv610 to 22 inch Full HD benq monitor and using it.

The monitor has HDMI and DVI inputs. I have connected the dvd palyer and monitor thru HDMI and it is working fine.

But in your case the sony dvd player doesn't have HDMI O/P, so its not possible.

Thanks,
Prakash.

hi,
i am using viewsonic 22 inch monitor.

Comp to monitor is by DVI to DVI and DVD to monitor via TV tuner box: Gadmei. i am not a video buff. so i think that the quality is acceptable. i tried component to VGA cable. I have set resolution of monitor to max. component to VGA does not have capacity for that much resolution. so it does not work. but such a cable is available in market and may work if resolution of the monitor is set lower. i never tried though as i have connected dish TV and DVDp through TV tuner box.

I am not sure this will work at all. Please check the specifications.

If the Acer is just a monitor, you need to connect it to a computer (laptop or desktop) for it to play any video. If you connect to a DVD Player, you will not get any signals. The data signals between a DVDP<>TV and between a Computer<>Monitor are completely different.

If the Acer is specified as a TV cum monitor then you can figure out how to connect.

Cheers

caught u venki,

external tuners for LCD screens are there to make LCDs display tv or S-video source content , no computer needed

external usb tuner is a diff thing for laptops :)[dont buy laptop this tuner for the said purpose]
so the plan will work ;)

DVDP--->SVIDEO IN of tuner |DVI out --->LCD
tuner box takes Svideo makes DVI
also it takes RF and Makes DVI (Tv on LCD monitor)

take a avermedia card if u want better Quality , but costs abt 5k
in 4k i think u will get a DVD player with HDMI

Remember HDMI is DVI ,use just a signal adaptor, itz v cheap.

Last edited:

There is no such things as a HDMI to component cable. Usually there is a box that converts the digital to analogue or vice versa. These are expensive if you want a good quality box that does not hamper the signal. Better bet is to change your source to have HDMI or component. Cheaper, cleaner option.

you are going to start a flame between 1 & 2 options. For a signal that can be displayed by HDMI and component there is no difference in quality.

better grab a hdmi DVD player coz video quality wise :
on a scale of 1-10 (1-worst, 10-best):

HDMI/DVI - 10
Component - 9
S-Video - 6
VGA - 5
Composite - 3
Coaxial - 1

Years too late for the OP, but perhaps of use to later folks who find this via websearch:

Unforutunate direction: Here in the USA, a "DVI" to "component video" (three cables, not the similary named one-cable "composite video") passive adapter is for example only $2.70 from Sears. Depending on the capabilities of the monitor, it _might_ work in the other direction too. I have my doubts, but it's so cheap it's worth a try. Note whether or not this works may depend on a fairly obscure setup setting in the monitor (in the monitor's OnScreenDisplay it might be called RGB<->YCbCr, or VGA<->component, or. SyncOn<->SyncOff, or..).

To be guaranteed to work in all cases, the other direction ("component video" to "DVI") requires an active device that should be available for a few tens of dollars.

(Generally the coversion to DVI from either "component video" or "composite video" takes very roughly the same amount of work and costs about the same. The video quality [especially color fidelity] will be higher and less problematic with the "component video" though, so it's virtually always the better choice.)

(Although you didn't ask specifically about VGA rather than DVI input: i] a "component video" to "VGA" converter is an active device, typically selling for a few tens of dollars, ii] "component video" to "VGA" converters are often classed in the "game" [Nintendo, PS3, etc.] space rather than the "video" space, so you may have much better luck finding them through those unfamiliar channels, and iii] some "VGA" monitors in fact have an internal setup option to also work with "component video" via their VGA connector, in which case all you need is a cheap adapter cable.)

Last edited:
@OP:
DVD player has analog out and the HDMI and DVI are digital inputs. So a analog - digital converter is required. IMO, no cheap converter is available.
You have not specified your purpose of the set up. If your intention is to serve it as a second TV, you may buy a cheap media player (2 -3K) which accept usb drives and digitise your DVDs using the computer and transfer it to a usb drive or portable HDD.
This will be better than spending more money on a A-D converter.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back