Connecting a Sub?

The speakers should not play full range if the sub has a crossover/high pass.

Yes it needs to have input as well as output. The type varies from sub to sub. Using the Edifier T5 as an example. A consumer sub. Your source/dac is connected via the RCA input. You set the frequency for the crossover. For example 80hz. So frequencies below 80 Hz is handled by the sub and those above are passed onto the Line Out which you connect your active speakers. They will play the frequencies above 80hz.

This is a simple explanation of what it's supposed to do.
I don't think any sub alters the frequencies being sent from the RCA outs. Usually in all subs RCA in and out are just a parallel connection. The low pass filter of the sub has nothing to do with the RCA out sockets. So in either case the speakers will play full frequencies unless they have an active crossover inbuilt.

I don't think any sub alters the frequencies being sent from the RCA outs. Usually in all subs RCA in and out are just a parallel connection. The low pass filter of the sub has nothing to do with the RCA out sockets. So in either case the speakers will play full frequencies unless they have an active crossover inbuilt.

Wow.. Thanks for correcting this. I read the manual totally wrong. (with regards to the T5)

OP. In this case you are better off getting the JBL LSR310s sub and setting the crossover to 80Hz.

You'll need this type of cable from your PC to the Sub
Deal of the day: AGARO 3.5 mm 1/8 TRS to Dual 6.35 mm 1/4 TS Mono Breakout Cable Y Spitter Stereo Cord Adapter Compatible, 2 meters, grey https://amzn.in/d/5vT9N1p

And 6.35 to 6.35 (1/4 inch) to connect the Sub to the speakers

OP. In this case you are better off getting the JBL LSR310s sub and setting the crossover to 80Hz.

Deal of the day: AGARO 3.5 mm 1/8 TRS to Dual 6.35 mm 1/4 TS Mono Breakout Cable Y Spitter Stereo Cord Adapter Compatible, 2 meters, grey https://amzn.in/d/5vT9N1p

JBL LSR310s is suitable for music production purpose. I think a normal budget friendly HT sub can suffice the need here. Even if the active speakers get full range signal they will not be able to produce it due to limitation of their frequency response. Frequency of the sub and speakers can be matched using the frequency crossover in the subwoofer just by listening.

JBL LSR310s is suitable for music production purpose. I think a normal budget friendly HT sub can suffice the need here. Even if the active speakers get full range signal they will not be able to produce it due to limitation of their frequency response. Frequency of the sub and speakers can be matched using the frequency crossover in the subwoofer just by listening.
But won't there be a connectivity issue? Also, I don't want the bass to be there. It just should sound when it must. Aren't hifi subs a but boomy?

With this I can skip the audio interface?

With this I can skip the audio interface?

Yes. You can. But you don't get the benefits of a balanced signal.

Also keep in mind any sub can make things boomy of the level is too high compared to your other speakers

Also I made another mistake. You'll need 2x XLRs to 6.35mm (1/4") cables or XLR to RCA to connect the sub to the BX-4s

Yes. You can. But you don't get the benefits of a balanced signal.

Also keep in mind any sub can make things boomy of the level is too high compared to your other speakers

Also I made another mistake. You'll need 2x XLRs to 6.35mm (1/4") cables or XLR to RCA to connect the sub to the BX-4s
Yes., I'll get an interface if I get the sub.

But won't there be a connectivity issue? Also, I don't want the bass to be there. It just should sound when it must. Aren't hifi subs a but boomy?
There wont be any connectivity issue. You can connect using rca splitter cables. Sealed subs are mot boomy so you can go for those. Another way is to close the port of a ported sub.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back