Connecting a Sub?

nil1982

Hey members, TIA.

So here is the deal.

I bought my M Audio BX4s a few months back. I love them so far, but I now long for a deeper bass.

Is there a way to add a decent entry-level sub to the setup? I don't have an audio interface yet, but I can buy one. Using RCA to connect it to my PC.

I'll appreciate any help. TIA again.

Niladri

In my experience the simplest & maybe the most convenient way to connect a subwoofer with active monitors would be -
PC USB -> Audio interface/sound card -> sub via balanced -> monitors via balanced.
This allows you to create a high pass on the sub - so the monitors are only taking care of the frequencies that the sub is not playing.

Now not sure what your budget is - but a decent audio interface will be about 10K+. For this setup you will also perhaps need a studio subwoofer.

Shameless plug - I have a Gen4 Scarlett 2i2, barely used/almost unused for sale in classifieds :) If you want to spend that kind of money on an interface.

Hey members, TIA.

So here is the deal.

I bought my M Audio BX4s a few months back. I love them so far, but I now long for a deeper bass.

Is there a way to add a decent entry-level sub to the setup? I don't have an audio interface yet, but I can buy one. Using RCA to connect it to my PC.

Niladri
Which input method are you using currently? The speakers so not have a sub out but in case you are using RCAs for inputs you can just use an RCA splitter cable and send signal to the subwoofer.

Which input method are you using currently? The speakers so not have a sub out but in case you are using RCAs for inputs you can just use an RCA splitter cable and send signal to the subwoofer.
Thaks for the response. Currently, I use 3.5 mm to 2x RCA. The speakers do not have subwoofer out. Adding an image for your convenience. This is the BT version, but the rear connectivity options are the same.M-Audio-BX4-BT-Bluetooth-Front-Back.jpg

In my experience the simplest & maybe the most convenient way to connect a subwoofer with active monitors would be -
PC USB -> Audio interface/sound card -> sub via balanced -> monitors via balanced.
This allows you to create a high pass on the sub - so the monitors are only taking care of the frequencies that the sub is not playing.

Now not sure what your budget is - but a decent audio interface will be about 10K+. For this setup you will also perhaps need a studio subwoofer.

Shameless plug - I have a Gen4 Scarlett 2i2, barely used/almost unused for sale in classifieds :) If you want to spend that kind of money on an interface.
Thanks a ton.

What you said is what my research also found, but I wanted to ask some people before spending money.

I'll buy an interface for sure. However, not sure about the sub. PreSonus Eris Sub8 is the cheapest of all with parallel L & R in and outs. But I hear they don't have any service in India.

Do you have any ideas?

What are some other sub options do I have?

About the plug, I am looking at Evo 4 atm for audio interface. What price are you expecting for the 212 G4? Ohh lemme check...

Thanks a lot.

Audient EVO 4 is fantastic :) DM'ed you.

I am not sure what your usage is - if you listen to these in near field on your desk - an 8 inch - should/may be fine. Presonus makes good gear, though I can't comment on the support part!

I would however check out something with 10 inch or so - sadly most of these will be expensive.
There is a sub called Samson Media 10s, which I won't wholeheartedly recommend, as it is not very controlled & failed on me after 3 years, but it is cheap.

MayBe - this - though I have no experience with the product, similar price bracket -

Also do keep in mind - you will need atleast 4 balanced cables too if you go this route - so costs add up.

Audient EVO 4 is fantastic :) DM'ed you.

I am not sure what your usage is - if you listen to these in near field on your desk - an 8 inch - should/may be fine. Presonus makes good gear, though I can't comment on the support part!

I would however check out something with 10 inch or so - sadly most of these will be expensive.
There is a sub called Samson Media 10s, which I won't wholeheartedly recommend, as it is not very controlled & failed on me after 3 years, but it is cheap.

MayBe - this - though I have no experience with the product, similar price bracket -

Also do keep in mind - you will need atleast 4 balanced cables too if you go this route - so costs add up.
I considered this sub. But wasn't sure about its connectivity options. I'm aware of the cable requirements. I can't figure out if they have L&R ins and outs from the pic. I'm pretty naive.

This is super helpful. I'm getting back to research.

Last question: Is it usually challenging to blend the sound of a sub and the monitors (not talking about connectivity, that thing is sorted)? If it's a challenge, I'll skip all of it and go for Kali IN8 after some time.

This is super helpful. I'm getting back to research.

Last question: Is it usually challenging to blend the sound of a sub and the monitors (not talking about connectivity, that thing is sorted)? If it's a challenge, I'll skip all of it and go for Kali IN8 after some time.

If your Sub has a built in low pass filter then no. Almost all "studio" subs have one.

If your Sub has a built in low pass filter then no. Almost all "studio" subs have one.
The sub I'm considering does have an LPF built in. However, when I was doing my research, studio guru type people were saying on YT that it's difficult to blend them (I assume they're talking about studio equipment only as that's the environment they're filming in and talking about) and often adding a sub to the monitors do more harm than good. This made me a bit worried.

Thanks for your inputs. :) Appreciate a lot.

What is your usage? Do you compose music?
There is another way to connect a sub when using bluetooth. You will have to split the signal being sent to the passive speaker from the main speaker. I can recommend a subwoofer for music composition purposes.

What is your usage? Do you compose music?
There is another way to connect a sub when using bluetooth. You will have to split the signal being sent to the passive speaker from the main speaker. I can recommend a subwoofer for music composition purposes.
My bad. I should have mentioned it.

I only listen to music. Play FLACs and some old MP3s.

Zero mixing/making. Only for hearing pleasure.

Mine is not the Bluetooth version and I prefer to stick to cables for best performance and least data loss during transmission.

TIA.

Niladri

The sub I'm considering does have an LPF built in. However, when I was doing my research, studio guru type people were saying on YT that it's difficult to blend them (I assume they're talking about studio equipment only as that's the environment they're filming in and talking about) and often adding a sub to the monitors do more harm than good. This made me a bit worried.

Thanks for your inputs. :) Appreciate a lot.

To get it to blend seamlessly you'll also probably need a measurement microphone to dial in the levels/gain. The other issue that can at times happen is a small delay between what the sub plays and what the monitors play. You will have to play around with the positioning of the sub.

To get it to blend seamlessly you'll also probably need a measurement microphone to dial in the levels/gain. The other issue that can at times happen is a small delay between what the sub plays and what the monitors play. You will have to play around with the positioning of the sub.
These are the complex stuff I want to avoid as a beginner.

Hey members, TIA.

So here is the deal.

Niladri
There is a you tube channel called "simple cafe" where they have shown various methods of connections for all kind of audio equipment chain. I remember seeing a few videos of them to connect an external active sub. Although I have never tried any of the methods as I do not use an active sub. An immediate method that comes to my mind although I don't know how effective it will be. From the source split the signal so that one part goes to active speakers and other part goes to the active sub. Say if you have a source out using 3.5 mm cable buy a 3.5 mm splitter so two 3.5 mm cables can go in the splitter. Now one cable goes to active sub and one goes to active speakers (3.5 mm or rca). Hope you have got my point. There is another you tube channel "Techscrew". He has also shown a few methods of sub connectivity when one does not have dedicated sub out. Look into these, might help you out without spending a bomb.

There is a you tube channel called "simple cafe" where they have shown various methods of connections for all kind of audio equipment chain. I remember seeing a few videos of them to connect an external active sub. Although I have never tried any of the methods as I do not use an active sub. An immediate method that comes to my mind although I don't know how effective it will be. From the source split the signal so that one part goes to active speakers and other part goes to the active sub. Say if you have a source out using 3.5 mm cable buy a 3.5 mm splitter so two 3.5 mm cables can go in the splitter. Now one cable goes to active sub and one goes to active speakers (3.5 mm or rca). Hope you have got my point. There is another you tube channel "Techscrew". He has also shown a few methods of sub connectivity when one does not have dedicated sub out. Look into these, might help you out without spending a bomb.
Great. I'll study that channel. Thanks a lot.

These are the complex stuff I want to avoid as a beginner.
Just connect the speakers to the sub. Crossover at 80HZ. You should be fine for near field use.

So PC-> Dac/Interface -> Sub - > Monitors

If you take the splitter route then keep in mind that your speakers will still be playing at their full range. Unless you know the exact low frequency they play to you'll never be able to set the crossover properly.

Just connect the speakers to the sub. Crossover at 80HZ. You should be fine for near field use.

So PC-> Dac/Interface -> Sub - > Monitors

If you take the splitter route then keep in mind that your speakers will still be playing at their full range. Unless you know the exact low frequency they play to you'll never be able to set the crossover properly.
Will the speakers not play full range if taken the DAC and Sub route?
In this case does the sub need to have RCA out as well along with RCA in?

Will the speakers not play full range if taken the DAC and Sub route?
In this case does the sub need to have RCA out as well along with RCA in?
The speakers should not play full range if the sub has a crossover/high pass.

Yes it needs to have input as well as output. The type varies from sub to sub. Using the Edifier T5 as an example. A consumer sub. Your source/dac is connected via the RCA input. You set the frequency for the crossover. For example 80hz. So frequencies below 80 Hz is handled by the sub and those above are passed onto the Line Out which you connect your active speakers. They will play the frequencies above 80hz.

This is a simple explanation of what it's supposed to do.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back