Cables for Connecting the Streamer to DAC

chefcurry

Hello Members,

I recently purchased a Wiim Pro for taking up the streaming duties, connecting it to the DAC using a generic company-provided Optical Cable. I wanted to upgrade to a better cable, to connect the streamer to the DAC, and I have come to understand that a Digital Coax cable would be better as it supports higher bandwidth audio (i.e. higher quality audio up to 24-bit/192kHz).

Could the FM shed some light on the best mode of connection (my DAC has optical, Digital Coax, and 2xRCA inputs)?

Any brand/product suggestions for the cables would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your precious inputs!!

Hello Members,

I recently purchased a Wiim Pro for taking up the streaming duties, connecting it to the DAC using a generic company-provided Optical Cable. I wanted to upgrade to a better cable, to connect the streamer to the DAC, and I have come to understand that a Digital Coax cable would be better as it supports higher bandwidth audio (i.e. higher quality audio up to 24-bit/192kHz).

Could the FM shed some light on the best mode of connection (my DAC has optical, Digital Coax, and 2xRCA inputs)?

Hi , I am using Wiim pro with optical cable I did not have any problem in 24/192, I have used coaxial also , for me not much variation in SQ .

A suggestion: Best to borrow from fellow audio fans locally if possible and see if you can hear a difference with your set up. It’s easier to hear the difference if your system and set up is resolving and reveals audible detail sufficiently.
If you have higher aspirations in terms of upgrading your set up in the future then maybe consider investing more in better cables.
I got a nice pair of RCA cables kindly made for me by FM @Kannan using Belden (4343?) wires that work nicely for me.
FM @Hari Iyer also kindly made a pair for me.
A DIY with decent wire (75 ohms?) for digital coax might be an option. In my case it was DBO (done by others)🙂If you ask nicely I am sure a kindly FM with experience and skills would help you out. Bonus you can specify the exact length to reduce clutter too

Last edited:
A suggestion: Best to borrow from fellow audio fans locally if possible and see if you can hear a difference with your set up. It’s easier to hear the difference if your system and set up is resolving and reveals audible detail sufficiently.
If you have higher aspirations in terms of upgrading your set up in the future then maybe consider investing more in better cables.
I got a nice pair of RCA cables kindly made for me by FM @Kannan using Belden (4343?) wires that work nicely for me.
FM @Hari Iyer also kindly made a pair for me.
A DIY with decent wire (75 ohms?) for digital coax might be an option. In my case it was DBO (done by others)🙂If you ask nicely I am sure a kindly FM with experience and skills would help you out. Bonus you can specify the exact length to reduce clutter too
That makes a lot of sense!

I will surely reach out to a few known people and test these cables out!

Hello Members,

I run my WiiM Pro Plus via an external DAC. I have used a few Coax cables including the stock Toslink cable that came with the WiiM Pro. The WiiM to DAC is via a toslink cable and the DAC to my Pre-amp is via Coax.

I am currently using Sommer SC-Stratos, 1 x 0,34 mm² for my Coax and SC-Vector PLUS 1.3/5.7 4K for my Digital cable. The connectors are all HiCon CM13. Links below. These are all available locally in Mumbai.

Hope this helps.

You can use either optical or coaxial depending on what your dac supports. I personally use optical as I have a very good optical cable and it sounds better than any coaxial cable i have tried. Had I not owned this optical cable I would have used the coaxial connector.

Try both with the best cables you own and use the one that sounds best in your system.

MaSh

Back