Connecting centre Spk to stereo system

ketanpote69

Dear Fm's .

I got a stereo amp and three spkrs ie L/R fronts and Centre Spk.

Need advise on how to wire centre to stereo (useful for clear vocal /dialogue).

Pre amp is stereo however power amp has a/b speaker option .

Can I connect centre to this power amp ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear Fm's .

Center Speaker is just an ordinary speaker. The magic lies in the Signal it receives from a Receiver that Decodes a 5.1 channel and sends only the Center channel signal to the speaker connected to that channel.

A Stereo amp will not have this decoding and would send a full range signal to any speaker connected to any of its terminals. So no it will not serve your purpose of having a center channel speaker per say.

Connecting 3 speakers to a stereo amp would be a parallel stereo to all speakers, having an affect on the impedance load on the amp.

In my opinion, not recommended.

On the other hand, adding another amp from Topping or lepai to your source could work. What is your source? Does it send out discrete 6 channels output? You can consider adding this Digital Audio Decoder Optical SPDIF Coaxial Dolby AC3 DTS To 5.1Ch Analog 6 RCA, which can then be connected to different amps driving different channel speakers.

MaSh

Last edited:
Dear Fm's .

It seems like you are using stereo for music & movies both.
There is no center channel in stereo, its simply L + R.

Until you move to AVR, there is no need/use of center speaker.

Dear MaSh
Thanks , I find a great difference in using Fronts vs Centre on same amp.
I think the network inside Spk which could be filtering unwanted frequency.
Anyway since I have 2 pair of Spker connectors ie A/B , can I use front L/R on A terminal and Center Spk on R of B terminal. Since I use one side of stereo will this damage amp

I have a pre amp and power amp. Pre amp has multiple source and I use turn table , tuner , cd for movies /music. Power amp has 2 pair of speaker option A and B .
How can I use decoder ?

Dear MaSh
Thanks , I find a great difference in using Fronts vs Centre on same amp.
I think the network inside Spk which could be filtering unwanted frequency.
Anyway since I have 2 pair of Spker connectors ie A/B , can I use front L/R on A terminal and Center Spk on R of B terminal. Since I use one side of stereo will this damage amp

Some how i don't see the point of connecting center speaker to B terminal as it will transmitting all the freq similar to A terminal i.e Stereo. There is no separation of audio happening only for the Center channel here.

You can opt for a decoder link mentioned below, which will do the audio separation from the source. Feed the decoder L+R --> amp input --> L+R speakers & decoder Center --> Per-amp ---> Center speaker.

Digital Dolby DTS/AC-3 Optical to Analog Audio Gear Sound Decoder 5.1Channel RCA | eBay

Not sure how effective this solution will be, but if your keen on center this is worth giving a try :thumbsup:

Integrated amps are meant for Stereo only. Else let the AVR's do the job of audio separation.

Cheers,
Binu AP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LG 42" Plasma | Marantz PM6005 | AJ FS52 | Velodyne Impact 10 | Panasonic dmp bdt220

Hey Got it suggestion welcomed will look out for avr or drop center

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back