Connecting DVD 5.1 to active subwoofer

ajinkya

Suppose one had a DVD player that had the 5.1 decoded signal outs in addition to the normal digital output (coaxial/optical). This is possible in the Oppo 980H and Marantz models. I'm sure it's there in other players as well.

My question is, can I connect the subwoofer RCA out (the .1 channel) directly to an active subwoofer? I don't see any conceptual problems with this but I want to make sure that the voltage levels on the signals match and I am not doing something stupid. Has anyone tried this?

The reason I ask is, if this is possible, I can use this setup to connect the DVD L/R, C and Rear L/R channels to a good 5 channel power amp and connect the .1 subwoofer directly to the active sub. This way I fully utilise the decoding present inside the DVD player, forego the need of a cheap AVR and can use a good 5 channel power amp for both music and AV needs.

Any comments are appreciated. As well as if anyone sees an obvious/subtle flaw with this approach.

Thanks,

0.1 ideally can be connected to Sub directly.I have connected 5.1 to avr 5.1 which has passive sub & noprob with it.

Spirovious,
I did not clearly understand what you meant. Are you saying you tried connecting the DVD to the AVR's 5.1 inputs, and the AVR outputs to a passive sub? My question was about connecting the DVD 5.1 outputs directly to an active sub, bypassing the AVR sub preout entirely. I apologise if I misunderstood your reply.

Spirovious,
I did not clearly understand what you meant. Are you saying you tried connecting the DVD to the AVR's 5.1 inputs, and the AVR outputs to a passive sub? My question was about connecting the DVD 5.1 outputs directly to an active sub, bypassing the AVR sub preout entirely. I apologise if I misunderstood your reply.

Yes ,I am trying to say similar.My AVR outputs for sub(Its Htib)So if I connect 5.1 to AVR,0.1 must be going for Passive sub internally without processing(AVR 5.1 bypass BASS/treble circuits)

The only problem in this case seems to be that how would you control the volume of all the channels without a pre amp.
Since active sub has a volume control option so I don't see a problem connecting it directy to a dvd player.

The only problem in this case seems to be that how would you control the volume of all the channels without a pre amp.
Since active sub has a volume control option so I don't see a problem connecting it directy to a dvd player.

Right Said Fred!!

Some DVD players come with a volume option. Check your player.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back