• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Connecting headphone to Marantz AVR..Distored Sound!!!

AV Cables

samgurung

Hi All,

I have an Audio Technica ATHMx50 BT headphone and a Marantz NR1509 receiver. I had never connected the headphone to the receiver and so decided to give it a spin. Plugged in the wire from the headphone to a 1/4" jack and plugged that to the receiver but the sound is very low in volume and when I increased the vol in the receiver the sound started cracking and distorting.. just no volume output at all.. Do y'all think there is a hardware issue with the receiver? Really bummed about this. Any inputs is appreciated.

Thanks,

MaSh

Did you clean the socket? Use an ear bud or rolled up cotton, soak either in nail polish remover and clean the insides.

MaSh

spirovious

Are getting proper stereo sound in headphones? lf not then either pin is not plugged inside(try pushing deeper) or some contacts in connector has rust.
Sometimes after louder volume, sound can become clear.

fLUX

Hi All,

I have an Audio Technica ATHMx50 BT headphone and a Marantz NR1509 receiver. I had never connected the headphone to the receiver and so decided to give it a spin. Plugged in the wire from the headphone to a 1/4" jack and plugged that to the receiver but the sound is very low in volume and when I increased the vol in the receiver the sound started cracking and distorting.. just no volume output at all.. Do y'all think there is a hardware issue with the receiver? Really bummed about this. Any inputs is appreciated.

Thanks,
Could be an issue with your 3.5 mm to 6.35 mm converter as well. Did you try with a different connector ?

samgurung

Could be an issue with your 3.5 mm to 6.35 mm converter as well. Did you try with a different connector ?
Yes could be! Unfortunately I dont have a different connector to test.. Will have to wait or ask neighbours :)

spirovious

tried with another connector.. same problem!!!
I hope ,headphone pin is plugged till end to avr's headphone out.Are you getting proper stereo sound while playing? l mean by stereo is that Right and Left sound is not mixed to mono.

samgurung

I hope ,headphone pin is plugged till end to avr's headphone out.Are you getting proper stereo sound while playing? l mean by stereo is that Right and Left sound is not mixed to mono.
Yes plugged right in and i get stereo sound.. Just that the volume is very low and when i raise it it is distorted and cracks

spirovious

Yes plugged right in and i get stereo sound.. Just that the volume is very low and when i raise it it is distorted and cracks
This may be possible since not used for long.Also may be some internal cable issue which connects to speaker out via resistor.Sometime plug contacts internally goes bad due to rust/dry solder.