Connecting headphone to Marantz AVR..Distored Sound!!!

samgurung

Hi All,

I have an Audio Technica ATHMx50 BT headphone and a Marantz NR1509 receiver. I had never connected the headphone to the receiver and so decided to give it a spin. Plugged in the wire from the headphone to a 1/4" jack and plugged that to the receiver but the sound is very low in volume and when I increased the vol in the receiver the sound started cracking and distorting.. just no volume output at all.. Do y'all think there is a hardware issue with the receiver? Really bummed about this. Any inputs is appreciated.

Thanks,

Did you clean the socket? Use an ear bud or rolled up cotton, soak either in nail polish remover and clean the insides.

MaSh

Are getting proper stereo sound in headphones? lf not then either pin is not plugged inside(try pushing deeper) or some contacts in connector has rust.
Sometimes after louder volume, sound can become clear.

Hi All,

I have an Audio Technica ATHMx50 BT headphone and a Marantz NR1509 receiver. I had never connected the headphone to the receiver and so decided to give it a spin. Plugged in the wire from the headphone to a 1/4" jack and plugged that to the receiver but the sound is very low in volume and when I increased the vol in the receiver the sound started cracking and distorting.. just no volume output at all.. Do y'all think there is a hardware issue with the receiver? Really bummed about this. Any inputs is appreciated.

Thanks,
Could be an issue with your 3.5 mm to 6.35 mm converter as well. Did you try with a different connector ?

Could be an issue with your 3.5 mm to 6.35 mm converter as well. Did you try with a different connector ?
Yes could be! Unfortunately I dont have a different connector to test.. Will have to wait or ask neighbours :)

tried with another connector.. same problem!!!
I hope ,headphone pin is plugged till end to avr's headphone out.Are you getting proper stereo sound while playing? l mean by stereo is that Right and Left sound is not mixed to mono.

I hope ,headphone pin is plugged till end to avr's headphone out.Are you getting proper stereo sound while playing? l mean by stereo is that Right and Left sound is not mixed to mono.
Yes plugged right in and i get stereo sound.. Just that the volume is very low and when i raise it it is distorted and cracks

Yes plugged right in and i get stereo sound.. Just that the volume is very low and when i raise it it is distorted and cracks
This may be possible since not used for long.Also may be some internal cable issue which connects to speaker out via resistor.Sometime plug contacts internally goes bad due to rust/dry solder.

Hi All,

Thanks,
I Have the Same problem with every input and Headphone Output in a Marantz SR5008 Receiver.
Did you find the Solution?
Thanks

Hi All,

Thanks,
I Have the Same problem with every input and Headphone Output in a Marantz SR5008 Receiver.
Thanks

Never liked the sound coming out of headphone sockets on amps, due to output coming thru a 120 to 220R series resistor to drop power taken from main spk out taps (True for 99.99% headphones sockets on amps). Instead, I prefer headphone amps . Very few amps like "Benchmark" have dedicated headphone amp for listening thru headphones

Thanks
Internal contacts of sockets get corroded if not used for a long time. Spray WD 40, Deoxit, etc on the headphone pin, and insert , pull out twisting gently. Wipe it with tissue paper and repeat 3-4 times. You can judiciously spray inside socket too , less is good. If things don't improve in a day or two , you may need to replace the headphone socket. I usually use a drop of bike engine oil, works wonders on old pots too

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back