Connecting HTiB speakers to AVR - advice needed

vint

Hi,

I got this Philips HTS 3569 some months back. Its a great system and comes with some pretty good speakers. Now, I 'm planning to buy a good AVR (with HDMI processing). So can I re-use these speakers with the new AVR until I get some new speakers ?

I'm not so good at these type of tinkering. So don't want the new AVR to roast my speakers. I'm interested in knowing what I should be taking care of while connecting these speakers to the new AVR to get the best sound possible ?

thanks for the reply cranky.

Here's the specs of the speakers:

Satellite Speaker : 4 Floor standing pillars
Satellite speaker drivers : 3" full range woofer
Satellite speaker impedance : 6 ohm
Satellite speaker freq range : 150-20000 Hz
Center Speaker : Magnetically shielded, 3 way
Center speaker drivers : 1 x 2" tweeter, 2 x 2.5" woofers
Center freq range : 150-20000 Hz
Center speaker impedance : 3 ohm
Subwoofer driver : 8" high efficiency woofer
Subwoofer freq range : 40-150 Hz
Subwoofer impedance : 8 ohm
Subwoofer type : Passive

and the AVR I'm eyeing is this one Yamaha RX-V463 Not too great. But decently priced at 17.5k.

Do you feel they are compatible ?

and the AVR I'm eyeing is this one Yamaha RX-V463 Not too great. But decently priced at 17.5k.

Centre speaker is the problem as the impedance is 3 ohm. Also the subwoofer is passive and AVR's doesn't drive subwoofers. You need to get active subwoofer.

Thanks,
Prakash.

okay just a coupe of things before my advice

Yamaha 463 does not process video but lets HMDI pass though (actually tinkers a lil bit as per experts and does not output blacker than black and whiter than white somehow - I did not see much of a difference - blame my poor eyes).

What are your expectations from the setup? the 3569 is decnet for movies and music and Yamah 463 wont do wonders to the speakers with you having to change the center speaker (impedance) and sub (active sub needed). But if you want to build a system - i would say be patient, save some money and get a proper component system.

If not - get a decent sub and a decent center speaker. what is your budget overall?

If you can afford even cheaper or used bookshelves, then its a better bet than going with the HTiB speakers as their impedance have been a problem with AVRs.

As its already noted your center channel is going to be a problem and typically you want to match the drivers on the F/C/L speakers in your setup.

Hi,

I got this Philips HTS 3569 some months back. Its a great system and comes with some pretty good speakers. Now, I 'm planning to buy a good AVR (with HDMI processing). So can I re-use these speakers with the new AVR until I get some new speakers ?

I'm not so good at these type of tinkering. So don't want the new AVR to roast my speakers. I'm interested in knowing what I should be taking care of while connecting these speakers to the new AVR to get the best sound possible ?

@suprateep,

its good, but with a limited no. of inputs. I want to use the HT with a blu ray player (PS3 mostly) and many other devices like ps2/x360/tata sky etc. My idea was to just buy a AVR (25k) initially and build up the system gradually. Since the speakers of philips are huge and sounded good, thought of reusing them.

But well, looks like I can use only the F/R ones and I'll have to replace the center and the sub.

Beware as Philips ( along with sony) is known for overblowing their HT amplifier specs!!!
Please from manual can you tell me that at what THD the speakers are rated?I am doubtful that these are 125 W speakers .... In fact I have strong doubts as real 1000 W amplfiers are very heavy - But philips is managing it with 4.5 Kg weight!!!!

IMHO philips is beating Albert Einstain :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::licklips: as as per specs system consumes only 180 WW of power and giver 1000 W!!!!!! Experts please comment...

I think these are 20-25 W speakers so beware while attaching any AVR..

Beware as Philips ( along with sony) is known for overblowing their HT amplifier specs!!!
Please from manual can you tell me that at what THD the speakers are rated?I am doubtful that these are 125 W speakers .... In fact I have strong doubts as real 1000 W amplfiers are very heavy - But philips is managing it with 4.5 Kg weight!!!!

IMHO philips is beating Albert Einstain :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::licklips: as as per specs system consumes only 180 WW of power and giver 1000 W!!!!!! Experts please comment...

I think these are 20-25 W speakers so beware while attaching any AVR..

:sad: :mad:

Must be the usual trick that all manufacturers use - PMPO. Divide the PMPO of 1000 watt by any figure you want (from 5 to 10 to 20) to arrive at a plausible RMS. The term PMPO is completely misleading and meaningless. The PMPO figure can be sustained for a very short time, and does not work with regular speakers.

Cheers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back