Conrad Johnson pre power combo

niftianmadhur

HI, I am thinking on getting a used Conrad Johnson pre power combo after reading good reviews of them. I am planning for MF2500 power amp and PV 14L preamp which I am planning to use for Dynaudio focus 220. If someone had experienced the combo or other products from this brand, please guide me about these. I am looking for a system which can go for a long term and i dont need to change them. I can see the power output is good 250 watts. How does it compare to the modern pre power combo and stereo integrates? I am more into rock, Pop and music which has good base. Not heavy metal though. Also, do we have support and repairs available in India, if something goes wrong since this is going to be used amp as these are older models. I dont see myself going for a tube power amp in near future but I am ok with tube pre ( which is the case with PV 14L). Also, I wanted to get an idea about a fare price of the pre power combo in good cosmetic and working condition. Any inputs will be appreciated. Thanks

Pre amp is good but capacitors of old power amp may not be suitable for power hungry dynaudios...its my assumption only..if you are getting it cheap..then try it to quench your thirst ...you can try other power amps with this pre..

I have considered this power amp only because of all positive reviews on internet. I am not going to get it cheap as the seller is asking for 2.5 Lacs for pre power combo in good condition and I don't see any issue with the capacity of the amp to drive the Dynaudio.that's why I wanted to know if it is worth this price. Also I guess many good integrates must be available for this price. If someone has actually used these models, might share there inputs.

its not capacity, its the age of capacitors inside the amp..it is better to take your speakers to the location and try it out yourself

I have tried the amp with the same speakers and it's working fine with good sound signature and lots of power. One thing I noticed was that when switching off the amp, there is a sound in the speakers which stays for 5 seconds. Is it normal or it is because of some cap problem that I am not aware of.

This is normal for a tube amp as the sound will stay till the heater wanes away. It happens with my 300 B too. But not more than 5 sec. For the same reason sound also gets delayed by 5 sec when turned on

Go by your own analysis and gut feeling. If you like them at the price quoted then you should consider, imo though I have never listen them

I guess there is not much love for Conrad Johnson in the forum. I don't see reply from any person who owns this brand ):
Do not worry about this aspect as there are more hifi brands that number of humans on earth :). And, we should be happy that we are in the age of internet which is everyone's best friend. CJ is very popular and respected brand among audiophiles.

I can recommend using Audiogon's Blue Book to determine fair price. A quick internet search gave the following:

MF2500 listed at 900 euros: https://www.hifishark.com/model/conrad-johnson-mf-2500
PV14L listed at 1200 euros: https://www.hifishark.com/model/conrad-johnson-pv-14-l

Seems like the combo typically sells for 2100 euros, which is 1.8L. Since you're not going to get any dealer support or warranty, my personal two cents is that it is fair to use international prices even though Indian prices are often higher. But i could be wrong as Indian prices for many flagship brands are often significantly higher so I can also understand the seller's POV in keeping used item prices relative to what they bought it for.

Then again, prices vary quite significantly depending on the condition. Again, audiogon has some very clear cut non-subjective ways of measuring condition, and what is considered 9/10 versus 7/10 for example.

hi I have a MF 2500A WHICH IS 110V- 60 HZ. Should i use a step down transformer or Gofor 240v conversion .not many people in the know how. can anybody help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please contact CJ support. They should be able to guide you on the convertion. They are typically very responsive and supportive. Also you can check with Indian distributor Absolute Phase.

1566304960019.png 1566304960019.pngcj people do not interfere in these issues . the amp has been manufactured for international market. I have the schematics . getting the right people to do it. that includes change in fuses. and trigger

Last edited:
View attachment 38401 View attachment 38401cj people do not interfere in these issues . the amp has been manufactured for international market. I have the schematics . getting the right people to do it. that includes change in fuses. and trigger

You may contact Dr.Thangachan , Power electronics( manufacturer of Torvin products) . A very knowledgeable and a humble person.
His workplace is in Chennai.
But do you really need to do the conversion?
A decent step down transformer with enough current should work fine.
Cheers.

cj people do not interfere in these issues . the amp has been manufactured for international market. I have the schematics . getting the right people to do it. that includes change in fuses. and trigger

Why not simply use a good step down? Much easier. Cheaper too. If you want to convert it to Indian mains voltage, it's not impossible but it's quite involved.

thank you. I think ,better to go with step down , as suggested. sometime the amp can get too hot. Is it so . I have no experience.
You may contact Dr.Thangachan , Power electronics( manufacturer of Torvin products) . A very knowledgeable and a humble person.
His workplace is in Chennai.
But do you really need to do the conversion?
A decent step down transformer with enough current should work fine.
Cheers.

thank you. I think ,better to go with step down , as suggested. sometime the amp can get too hot. Is it so . I have no experience.

No , it won't get Hot because of using a Step Down transformer. It's normal for an amplifier to be warm after 30-40 mins of usage.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back