Content for Smart TV

newtechie

The HD PQ of 42 LM6400 is incredible - it's 'mesmerising' to be exact. Love everything about the TV - except the fact that it has only an optical out for audio. But I suppose, that can't be helped as technology is moving ahead by leaps and bounds.

I'm tempted to invest in a home theatre to match the TV to enjoy its sound effects. But my Sony holds me back. It's not yet time to retire it.

One thing that I discover is that there is hardly any content available in the market to exploit the potential of the Smart TVs. Tata Sky offers just a handful of HD channels. And once u see HD content on LM6400, u can't go back to the SD stuff. And when is 3D coming to the screens?

Bluray discs are brilliant. But there's a limit to how many u can purchase - cost as well as space considerations! Why r there not bluray rental libraries in town? Why just ONE online rental platform? Besides, to buy a BD, I need to go online - and then cool my heels for it to be delivered. (I ordered one - and it's already been over 15 days!)

How about downloading content from the net? Can we download good HD stuff and good HD 3D content?

The LG Apps have a long way to go......

SO HOW DO I UTILISE THE BRILLIANT FEATURES OF MY TV?

You can check out YouTube that has a huge collection of HD videos. If you were located in U.S. you could have also accessed Netflix and Hulu for the same. Videocon has a 3D channel; but since you already have a Tata Sky you perhaps do not have the option to switch over. The LM6400 that you mentioned, how much did it cost to you and what other features it has, besides PQ that you mentioned is great?

Oops, how did I no see this topic before? Hey newtechie, you raise a very valid point about the lack of sources for 3D content. That is why LG World Record has developed the 3D World app - a huge collection of 3D content in a variety of categories such as lifestyle, sports, entertainment, documentary and kids. At the moment, full-length 3D movies from Disney are starting to become available for direct streaming to the LG 3D TV. You can read about it here: LG's Smart TV platform starts renting out Disney 3D movies, offers new buyers $50 worth We are trying our best to improve the services as well as increase the 3D content that our customers can enjoy. So be patient my friend. There will be more goodies coming in the next year!

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Use the IP changer to access Netflix; also check YouTube and stumble upon for good 3d and HD videos. Yes, LM6400 is a good TV with great picture quality. And I think it works equally well in normal 2D; nobody watches 3D all the while to be honest.

Haha, a.nakul, I wanted to suggest IP changer too but it seems a tad too sketchy. But yeah, accessing Netflix in India is possible by altering your IP address, so there's a wealth of films and other contents available if you are willing to go that extra mile.

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Why do you restrict yourself to merely 3d or HD content? Since it is a Smart TV you might as well enjoy various games and apps on it as well.

Use the IP changer to access Netflix; also check YouTube and stumble upon for good 3d and HD videos. Yes, LM6400 is a good TV with great picture quality. And I think it works equally well in normal 2D; nobody watches 3D all the while to be honest.

I will really like to know you use the "IP changer" with your Smart TV - and this is not to say that I am planning to use it. I just want to know how you do it.

@newtechie - you mention that LG LM6400 has "only" an optical out for the audio. AFAIK, LM6400 has 4 HDMI ports - one of which is specifically marked as to be used for ARC (Audio Return Channel) - you can use it to connect it to an external audio output device or a HTS. Or perhaps you mean something else?

Why do you restrict yourself to merely 3d or HD content? Since it is a Smart TV you might as well enjoy various games and apps on it as well.

Hey bagainitish, you're absolutely right! Games and apps are a big part of what makes a smart TV 'smart' and fun. Otherwise, we'd just better off buying a regular TV, haha. There are tons of interactive and cool apps on the LG App store that everyone can enjoy, and most of them are free! So start downloading and have fun!

LG WRman Sherlock out!

I will really like to know you use the "IP changer" with your Smart TV - and this is not to say that I am planning to use it. I just want to know how you do it.

Hey kholi_pankaj, you can easily use the IP changer on your laptop to load Netflix or Hulu and other services that can't be usually accessed in India and then fire them up on the big screen LG 3D TV by using the WiDi function. It's the most practical way!

LG WRman Sherlock out!

@newtechie - you mention that LG LM6400 has "only" an optical out for the audio. AFAIK, LM6400 has 4 HDMI ports - one of which is specifically marked as to be used for ARC (Audio Return Channel) - you can use it to connect it to an external audio output device or a HTS. Or perhaps you mean something else?

U r right! But my Sony hifi is devoid of HDMI ports. As such, I'm scouting for other ways to connect it.

Hey bagainitish, you're absolutely right! Games and apps are a big part of what makes a smart TV 'smart' and fun. Otherwise, we'd just better off buying a regular TV, haha. There are tons of interactive and cool apps on the LG App store that everyone can enjoy, and most of them are free! So start downloading and have fun!

LG WRman Sherlock out!

But where are all these wonderful games? Possibly I'm missing out on som'ing! I didn't come across any 3D games in LG apps.
There is certainly a demand and supply mis-match where quality content is concerned. The LG apps need a lot of sprucing up to become competitive in the market.

The main USPs of a good Smart TV are:
1. out-of-this world HD PQ
2. 3 Dimensional viewing experience
3. Availability of content on net
4. Great gaming platform
5. Convergence

Gaming is for gamers (like my son!) - whose TV use can be captured like - games (60%); cartoons (40%)
LG Apps - Limited time-share, unless extremely addictive! I login once in a while just to check if something exciting has been uploaded.
3 D - possible only when input is HD and 3D-viewable, i.e with some element of action in it.
HD PQ - So what r the basic inputs for this? The DTH provider (which is the easiest to connect), Net (one should have the patience to first search and then download/stream content), Bluray discs (why such a limited availability?), downloaded stuff (again, the source is net, though just plug n play).

In this fast-paced world with a hectic life-style, I just want to switch on the TV and RELAX. Where is the time to whittle away precious moments scouting for content desired?

If Smart TVs with state-of-art features are easily available, why isn't its content? Why are there still SD channels in DTH? Why just a handful of HD channels? Why isn't 3D content being streamed at the press of a button? How long will it take for input CONTENT to keep pace with the output technology?

Last edited:
Hey newtechie, I understand the frustration with the lack of content. Most broadcast stations are still happy with SD content so the availability of 3D channels is understandable. But things are subjected to change very soon. HD and 3D broadcast will become the future of television as more and more folks adopt this technology for home entertainment. We are the pioneers in using these TVs so there are some expected occasional hiccups, don't you think? LG is trying hard to output more 3D content for the enjoyment of our users. For games both in 2D and 3D, I recommend checking the LG App store regularly as new things are updated very often: ::: LG Application Store ::: We have also recently teamed up with Disney to put up their films directly on the LG 3D World for rentals. So check them out too. And be patient, my friend. The tide will turn very soon!

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Sorry, for my rather late reply to your query on the IP changer. There are loads of free and purchasable IP changer software available on the net through simple Google changer. I am giving one url just in case...once you download and sign in simply clear the cookies of your browser, turn on IP changer and use a U.S. based server to access all online content sites that cater to U.S. internet traffic and watch both 2D and 3D to your heart's content. Download Ip Changer 3.0.15 Free - A tool which allows you to change LAN settings - Softpedia

Sorry, for my rather late reply to your query on the IP changer. There are loads of free and purchasable IP changer software available on the net through simple Google changer. I am giving one url just in case...once you download and sign in simply clear the cookies of your browser, turn on IP changer and use a U.S. based server to access all online content sites that cater to U.S. internet traffic and watch both 2D and 3D to your heart's content. Download Ip Changer 3.0.15 Free - A tool which allows you to change LAN settings - Softpedia

Yep, I am aware of IP changer software. Two questions -

1) How do you actually RUN the software on the TV? I know how it is done on a PC, but how to do it on a TV?

2) There is the small matter of this being illegal.

@LG WR Sherlock - Yes, I have indeed seen the content on the 3D World of LG Smart TVs - it is just OK - but not enough to keep an avid TV watcher satiated for long. As far as games or apps are concerned - you get tired of them sooner or later. Until we have something like Netflix of Hulu available out of the box even in India, Smart TVs will never be used to their full capabilities.

Yep, I am aware of IP changer software. Two questions -

1) How do you actually RUN the software on the TV? I know how it is done on a PC, but how to do it on a TV?

2) There is the small matter of this being illegal.

Yes, it is illegal - and so is downloading movies/music torrents but most people do it anyway.

Hi kholi_pankaj, did you see my reply on the previous page? If you so desire, you can use the IP changer on your laptop and then use the HDMI cable or WiDi function to connect the laptop screen to the TV :D. The IP changer as of now cannot be run on the TV itself though.

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back