Converting a THORENS TD 125 AB to LB

Hello friends
I have a Thorens TD 125 AB model with a TP16 arm. I have the opportunity to pick up a NOS SME SERIES II 3012 for about $600. It is packed and has never been installed. As the TT itself needs a refurb, i was thinking of changing it to LB from AB. Though when i went through the brochure of 125, it said that LB accommodated 16" arms. The B model could be fitted with 12" arms. Now this has confused me. As it is getting dimensions for the LB armboard was a task, where does one get the dimensions for the 12" armboard? Or am I missing something completely. The LB armboard accommodates a 12" arm too? If that is the case, could some one please help me with the dimensions of the LB armboard?
Thanks a lot for reading.
Varun

Hi Vrun,
I have a Thorens 125 LB with SME 3012 arm which I got NOS. It had come without plinth. So I got a plinth made for it. I recently got a second TD 125 with a SME 3012 arm in a plinth but the arm was fitted outside the arm board . So I got a new plinth made to fix the arm on the arm board. If you can PM me with your whatsapp number, I can help you with the dimensions . Due to some reason, I am unable to post pictures from my mobile to this forum.
Kuruvila Jacob

The dimensions of the arm board is 29cms length and 17 cms width. You may need to make a new plinth to use the 12 inch arm.

You may need to make a new plinth to use the 12 inch arm.

I feel so too.

While we're on the topic of 3012, does anyone know the definitive mounting distance for a 3012 arm? I have come across numbers ranging from 294 to 296.x mm. Whenever I've designed plinths for 3012 I've always left the owners to decide the final mounting distance as I don't know the definitive answer.

found this SME 3012 SERIES II to go with my TD 125. NOS, never been mounted. in fact, it has come out of the box for the first time in 30 odd years. the new plinth is under construction. as I understand, the arm would not need any extra height on the armboard right? though the depth of the connector well tells me that the new plinth would need some extra heigh. so there should be no harm in increasing the height by an inch I guess. though there are different schools of thought regarding the plinth. I lot of people, on different forums insist that even a suspended design needs a heavy plinth and then there are others who think that it is not an issue at all. what is the take of our esteemed members here?
thanks
Varun

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back