Power Supply for Thorens TD 550 Turntable

Varaderoxl1000v

Hello from Greece.

I have the Thorens TD 550 Turntable with the SME V arm, which I bought a few years ago.

I would like to inform you that the power supply that came with it, in my very careful attempt to remove the IEC/220 V, broke its body! Attached photos.

I regret to say that the supplied power supply, I think, does not meet the quality of the name of the company like Thorens, both in terms of construction (resistance to time), as well as quality of materials. Honestly, I am very sorry, as I paid a lot of money to buy this product and expected a much better quality power supply.

Since I can no longer use the power supply as it is extremely prone to electric shocks, PLEASE recommend an excellent LITERALLY excellent quality power supply that meets the turntable's power needs and is ABSOLUTELY user safe, even a very good quality one. Aftermarket. Thank you very much, I am waiting for your answers, as I can no longer use the turntable.20230810_153928.jpg

td550-teaser.jpg
Hey, that's a pretty hot turntable. Congratulations on your purchase and I'm sure you're having a nice time listening to it play all those records in your collection.

Yes, its quite surprising to see the PSU for a a turntable like this. Perhaps Thorens intended to have the user tuck the PSU away somewhere under the hifi rack and not beside the turntable :)

Honestly, things like this happen in our hobby but they are not really things that should give you sleepless nights. The PSU delivers two 12vAC 500ma rails to your TT and the approach you can take to solve this depends on how experienced you are with audio electronics.

Picture1.jpg

Here are some potential options for consideration:

1. Just get yourself a replacement PSU for this turntable, from Thorens
  2. Cut a piece of hard plastic to the same size of the broken side of the PSU cabinet, cut a suitable hole in this piece of plastic for the AC socket and bolt it to this piece. Then super-glue the new panel which you have created, to the broken side of the PSU cabinet (you may have to desolder and solder back the socket wiring depending on whether you are able to get the socket through the mounting hole or not)
  3. Create a new side panel as mentioned in option-2, except that you can discard the AC 3-pin socket, and just use a standard AC mains cable Picture2.jpg
  4. Break open the PSU cabinet and simply move all its contents to a new cabinet (here you will have to be good at DIY stuff, soldering, etc)
  5. Build yourself a new custom PSU with better grade components (for this you will also have to acquaint yourself with the turntable's PSU DIN socket pinout).

Last edited:
Looks like an AC transformer. You can easily get 12vac x 2, 1A - R-core transformer built and substituted for this one. Go for a metal case with the chassis grounded on the 3 pin earth. Checkbout how the socket is wired before scrapping the current one.

View attachment 78942
Hey, that's a pretty hot turntable. Congratulations on your purchase and I'm sure you're having a nice time listening to it play all those records in your collection.

Yes, its quite surprising to see the PSU for a a turntable like this. Perhaps Thorens intended to have the user tuck the PSU away somewhere under the hifi rack and not beside the turntable :)

Honestly, things like this happen in our hobby but they are not really things that should give you sleepless nights. The PSU delivers two 12vAC 500ma rails to your TT and the approach you can take to solve this depends on how experienced you are with audio electronics.

View attachment 78944

Here are some potential options for consideration:

1. Just get yourself a replacement PSU for this turntable, from Thorens
  2. Cut a piece of hard plastic to the same size of the broken side of the PSU cabinet, cut a suitable hole in this piece of plastic for the AC socket and bolt it to this piece. Then super-glue the new panel which you have created, to the broken side of the PSU cabinet (you may have to desolder and solder back the socket wiring depending on whether you are able to get the socket through the mounting hole or not)
  3. Create a new side panel as mentioned in option-2, except that you can discard the AC 3-pin socket, and just use a standard AC mains cable View attachment 78945
  4. Break open the PSU cabinet and simply move all its contents to a new cabinet (here you will have to be good at DIY stuff, soldering, etc)
  5. Build yourself a new custom PSU with better grade components (for this you will also have to acquaint yourself with the turntable's PSU DIN socket pinout).

Thank you very much for your reply!

What you suggest is a solution, however, because I also sent Thorens the photos expressing my regret for the really poor quality psu, they replied that they have a better quality model (link), which I can buy.

Honestly, I don't want to deal with this garbage at all! That's how it is. I will buy a new one, (NT 550) it costs €179, I will give this money..

https://plattenspieler-reparatur.de/thorens-elektronik/

Looks like an AC transformer. You can easily get 12vac x 2, 1A - R-core transformer built and substituted for this one. Go for a metal case with the chassis grounded on the 3 pin earth. Checkbout how the socket is wired before scrapping the current one.
Thank you! I thought about making a DIY, but I'd rather buy one from the company. Maybe it is better this way. Please see the Link, the model is NT 550.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811-142525_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811-142525_Chrome.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 5
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back