Converting PCM to DSD for playback resulting in better quality?

humblebee

In the many attempts by people to bring analog sound back to digital audio, one attempt includes converting PCM sound (almost all of music - it sits in mp3, wav, flac etc form) to DSD.

Its done not because it can give any benefit from just conversion. Its done because PCM to analog conversion is very lossy. DSD decoding to analog results in natural smooth sound.

I have recently come across work done by PS Audio and although their DirectStream DAC is very costly at $6000, its youtube demo sounded pretty good. (In this video at the end - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okG-pRzz1w4)

Now I dont have that kind of money but I luckily found another affordable solution in KORG DS DAC 100 for approx 30k at Bajaao.com !!!

Thing is that PS Audio solution is costly because it does all conversion VERY accurately in their DAC. The KORG guys use our computing power to do the PCM to DSD conversion through their AudioGate software.

I also found this playback software to be better than foobar in sound quality. It does use computing resources. During foobar playback, CPU used is 0%. During AudioGate its 2%-5%.

It would be nice to hear any experiences by forum members in this regard.

I am planning to buy this DAC soon.

Last edited:
Did you check HQPlayer, I think it does the same upsampling and then converting/playing back using your PC resources. Lots of threads on the computeraudiophile.com for your reference. I think some of our own members are also using the same. May be they can pitch in and enlighten :)

In the many attempts by people to bring analog sound back to digital audio, one attempt includes converting PCM sound (almost all of music - it sits in mp3, wav, flac etc form) to DSD.

Its done not because it can give any benefit from just conversion. Its done because PCM to analog conversion is very lossy. DSD decoding to analog results in natural smooth sound.

I have recently come across work done by PS Audio and although their DirectStream DAC is very costly at $6000, its youtube demo sounded pretty good. (In this video at the end - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okG-pRzz1w4)

Now I dont have that kind of money but I luckily found another affordable solution in KORG DS DAC 100 for approx 30k at Bajaao.com !!!

Thing is that PS Audio solution is costly because it does all conversion VERY accurately in their DAC. The KORG guys use our computing power to do the PCM to DSD conversion through their AudioGate software.

I also found this playback software to be better than foobar in sound quality. It does use computing resources. During foobar playback, CPU used is 0%. During AudioGate its 2%-5%.

It would be nice to hear any experiences by forum members in this regard.

I am planning to buy this DAC soon.

At 30k it's too expensive. I bought it when it was just 125 USD on Amazon.com. I was happy enough that I bought one for my brother too. I was into collecting SACDs before so dig the DSD sound. DSD is an acquired taste, it is very smooth and can be easily construed as being a tad dull. The bass is not emphasised at all. The Korg is very good for what it is.

The audiogate software is another story. It just doesn't cut it. Works fine on Windows, but my bro had trouble making it work on Mac.

+1 to HQPlayer, works like a charm. They have a free trial that you can check out.

Audirvana does it too, have not heard it though.

Apart from PS Audio, the other notable DACs are the Chord and the Mytek.

I'm however not entirely sold on the upsampling bit... sounds more like vinyl, but that's also not a very accurate sound.

Rightly said, it's an acquired taste, the same as NOS DACs, which to my ears sound the best.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back