Converting WAV & FLAC to MP3 in bulk and quickly

srramanujam

I use a Cowon D2 audio player. It has a 16 GB built in memory (trying to get a 32 GB add on card). So far, i have been playing FLAC files and have already run out of memory space.

I experimented with 320 kbps MP3 files and i couldnt spot the difference (even with a good quality earphone - Ultimate Ears pro 5).

Now all my files are in FLAC and WAV, arranged in directories. I tried using Foobar, Mediamonkey and a couple of other software for conversion. I face the following problems

a) None of them replicate the original directory structure. They dump all the files in a one target directory. The alternative is to take it one directory at a time which is painful (for about 200 CDs ripped).
b) They also seem to mess with song tags
c) They are quite slow (roughly 2.5X is all i am getting for 320 kbps conversion).

Can you suggest a ripping software that addresses these three problems. I can live with b) and c), but a) is quite important.

Last edited:
I was going to mention Foobar's potential, but I think Cranky has done a crack job of explaining it with custom scripts as well.

Musicbee also can do what you want. In fact, I think this is the player/organizer/library with the most promise in a long time now. It is free to boot. The one advantage with Musicbee is that you may not need to set custom tagging scripts. I have only converted a couple of folders but I thought the process was very simple. Yet does what is needed.

dBpoweramp, the player, is now defunct. And I am not sure that their converter is free. I think it is paid. So, you might want to try other solutions as well. Although Foobar should work just fine.

In Foobar, go into converter setup, and in the 'output path' select "Source track folder".

This way, the converted files are stored in the same directory from where the flacs come. You can then delete the flacs/wavs. Foobar can mass delete all the flacs.

If you want a parallel structure, then first replicated the current structure by coyping it into another drive or partition or folder, then do the above operation.

BTW, foobar does not mess up with any tags.

Edited to add:
Foobar is damn fast too. It converted my 3-min flac file in just 7 seconds. And my comp is a simple 2 Mhz dual core. I use the V0 setting ( in fast mode) in Foobar which gives approx 245kbps.

Last edited:
Update.

Foobar still doesnt read the tags created with media monkey.

So i have followed the long route and replicated the entire wav directory. Tonight will be mass conversion into the root folder itself with overwrite of original files.

Update.

Foobar still doesnt read the tags created with media monkey.

So i have followed the long route and replicated the entire wav directory. Tonight will be mass conversion into the root folder itself with overwrite of original files.

There is no reason why Foobar should not read the tags if they were ID3 V1 or V2. Did you try Musicbee?

Musicbee - Not yet. IE wanted me to change security settings before the site can be accessed. At 2 in the night i wasnt going to take Microsoft advice blindly.

Will try today evening.

Musicbee - Not yet. IE wanted me to change security settings before the site can be accessed. At 2 in the night i wasnt going to take Microsoft advice blindly.

Will try today evening.

Unrelated, I guess. But why would you still be using IE? Opera and Firefox are highly recommended alternatives.

Quite monagamous in my approach. Since IE is familiar i havent bothered changing it. I have simple browing needs that stop at google news, this forum and cricinfo.

Quite monagamous in my approach. Since IE is familiar i havent bothered changing it. I have simple browing needs that stop at google news, this forum and cricinfo.

Monogamous, yes, that is appreciable! But taking it to browsers is stretching it a bit too much, dont you think?:)

Seriously, when you get the time, and if you think it feasible, do try out Opera or Firefox. They are in a different league. Of course it is entirely your prerogative. Feel free to ignore this if you think otherwise.

Mediamonkey is running in the background now spitting out mp3 files. Hopefully when i wake up i will have freshly baked MP3 files for breakfast.

Sorry. Just saw it.

Mediamonkey at home. Would not download musicbee. But the laptop when connected to office network, inside firewall, updated antivirus and security settings, downloads it like a breeze. So i have 40% tagged and organised in mediamonkey and 60% in music bee. Still good breakfast though. Looking for a 32 gb add on card to fit all this into the cowon

Quite good. I liked the musicbee interface and the ease with which i can tag files.

Conversion options seem to be a bit more awkwardly arranged but one finds his way.

Musicbee still has a couple of niggles in it. But I see much promise. This just might be the Mediamonkey-beater app.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back