Corner Bass Traps DIY (caution: picture load)

Excellent job Santy. I am sure this will significantly bring down the bass decay time and make the overall response flatter.

The panel, the screen with the speakers looking real good.

I was doing research over this for long, procured all the materials for the entire room treatment but shifted to Hyderabad for few years with new job. So now planned dropped for few years.

Thanks guys.

Yes Koushik, I hope so.
The problem is width is not adequate enough for a corner trap. Let's see.

@Manoj
I have some blown fuse issue with the centre speaker (8030).
So I am using two smaller speakers (8020) as a stop gap arrangement.
I have used an RCA splitter to drive both the monitors.
Surprisingly it is quite better..!

Outstanding work, Santy! Thanks for the detailed description and pics.

I'll look forward to the measurements! :)

Hi Santy,

i know this is an old thread, but its good enough to be a sticky.

Wanted to know how did you fix the panels to the corner wall. Also, do you need two layers of fabric and wont there be losses.

Hi Santy,

i know this is an old thread, but its good enough to be a sticky.

Wanted to know how did you fix the panels to the corner wall. Also, do you need two layers of fabric and wont there be losses.

Hi Sud
They can stand in the corner.
Two layers of fabric is advised so that there is little or no possibility of dust getting out of the traps esp. when they are disturbed.
It won't affect the performance in any way AFAIK.
If anyone is going to try this DIY, I suggest to make the face width larger (1.5 to 2 feet) for better performance.

Wait for @Santy updating this thread
He has something new to add to this thread
:)

Rikhav, I am making 4 inch bass panels as well as tri-corner traps for ceiling. Will post WIP tips and pics soon. :)

I too have a max of 17 inch for the tri corner. Thinking of a few more 4 inch bass traps. Do share some measurements then and now.

Great job santy...only saw it today after all these years :)

Certainly a sticky thread for room treatment. And thanks a lot for the detailed photos , very easy for the rest of us to enumerate.

Rikhav, I am making 4 inch bass panels as well as tri-corner traps for ceiling. Will post WIP tips and pics soon. :)
Very useful DIY, please post the updates.

Please share your experience after using it for 5 years in terms of SQ and how the panels holding up, any problem with fiberes after all these years....? Me too planning to do a diy panel with Roxul Rockwool, your advice please..

What a lovely addition to the room. I am coming into your footsteps now and I am planning to pursue the same project. What is the recommend face width of the triangles? I can go about 30 inches on the face, I was wondering if this is too much? I read on other forums that, the more the better.

Would love some guidelines in this aspect. I have heard my exact speakers in a fully treated setup vs in my room. The former sounds exponentially better with low reverb and echo and everything balanced (Especially the tightness and grip on the lows)

Excellent thread.
I am a firm believer in getting the bass issues addressed first. The other frequencies can be tuned by absorption/diffusion, which is not difficult.
In my opinion, once the bass hits you, it should quickly dissipate, leaving a clean sound field.

In my room, the best response I got was by placing two bass traps 4 inches away from the front wall, behind the speakers and back wall corner stacked floor to ceiling, similar to the ones made here by SANTY.

In my room, the best response I got was by placing two bass traps 4 inches away from the front wall, behind the speakers and back wall corner stacked floor to ceiling, similar to the ones made here by SANTY.
Nice! What do you think is the ideal face dimension for the corner triangular traps? I can go up to 2x2x3.2 ft but I am not sure if that big of a front face is needed. Any advice on this? Or should I go about having the 24 inch front face? (Planning for floor to ceiling as well)

Regards

The bigger the better.
Edit:
A very important piece of information that I would like to add here:
If possible do try to cover the facia with a 0.5mm thick Galvanized Steel perforated sheet. The Venturi effect is quite beneficial in this context.
I'll try and provide the specifications of the perforations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back