Corner Bass Traps DIY (caution: picture load)

Excellent thread.
I am a firm believer in getting the bass issues addressed first. The other frequencies can be tuned by absorption/diffusion, which is not difficult.
In my opinion, once the bass hits you, it should quickly dissipate, leaving a clean sound field.

In my room, the best response I got was by placing two bass traps 4 inches away from the front wall, behind the speakers and back wall corner stacked floor to ceiling, similar to the ones made here by SANTY.
That I suppose is because the most energy is coming from right behind the baffle. But if you are in a HT setup I suppose the low frequency would crossover to the Sub, so placing the traps behind the Sub should give the best results. With other corners being treated too. If this is not the case in your experience, please advise. May I ask, what is the thickness and density of material that you used for the bass traps behind the speakers and how low do you think it helps treat. If we are talking room modes, the issue is treating between 30 to 100 Hz. is there any way like REW measurements to identify the actual bass frequency causing the bass bleed?

That I suppose is because the most energy is coming from right behind the baffle. But if you are in a HT setup I suppose the low frequency would crossover to the Sub, so placing the traps behind the Sub should give the best results. With other corners being treated too. If this is not the case in your experience, please advise. May I ask, what is the thickness and density of material that you used for the bass traps behind the speakers and how low do you think it helps treat. If we are talking room modes, the issue is treating between 30 to 100 Hz. is there any way like REW measurements to identify the actual bass frequency causing the bass bleed?
I have had great results using 50mm thick Rockwool of 100kg density.
Placement of the panels doesn’t affect the performance as much as it is touted out &
corner bass trapping is mainly marketing, in my humble opinion
One can even use the entire ceiling as a bass trap.
No idea on REW. Maybe other knowledgeable members could help

I have had great results using 50mm thick Rockwool of 100kg density.
Placement of the panels doesn’t affect the performance as much as it is touted out &
corner bass trapping is mainly marketing, in my humble opinion
One can even use the entire ceiling as a bass trap.
No idea on REW. Maybe other knowledgeable members could help
Did you cut the slabs the way Santy cut them into triangles or just flat rectangular slabs? I am looking to build just flat rectangular slabs and place them on the back wall, that is behind the listening position and at the corners on the front wall. To cut down the bass bleed. Did you use just one slab or packed them one behind the other and if so what thickness 4” or 6” ? Also can you let me know which Specific brand or product did you use for the rockwool there are so many that I am unsure of which works. Rockinsul RB slabs or some other? Thanks Any tip on the protective cover on the rockwool, pvc or the protective paper they sell to prevent dust from getting into the room and the cloth for the final cover would also help. Thanks

I have done both

In my previous setup, I had cut the rectangular slabs into squares and then diagonally into triangles.
These were then stacked from floor to ceiling and got a carpenter to make a wooden frame to hold them in place and wrapped using a breathable cotton fabric.

Since I didn’t have access to corners in my present setup, I have made aluminum channel frames with Rockwool inserted and wrapped with similar breathable fabric. These were then mounted on both side walls.
The outcome in both cases was pretty similar; a tighter bass without any boom or overhang.
I honestly don’t remember the brand of Rockwool.
Aural Exchange, though expensive, provide quality products.
4’’ was the thickness of the slabs.
Never had any problems with skin itching etc but if you’re concerned with health issues, you could try double wrapping.
Hope this helps.

I have done both

In my previous setup, I had cut the rectangular slabs into squares and then diagonally into triangles.
These were then stacked from floor to ceiling and got a carpenter to make a wooden frame to hold them in place and wrapped using a breathable cotton fabric.

Since I didn’t have access to corners in my present setup, I have made aluminum channel frames with Rockwool inserted and wrapped with similar breathable fabric. These were then mounted on both side walls.
The outcome in both cases was pretty similar; a tighter bass without any boom or overhang.
I honestly don’t remember the brand of Rockwool.
Aural Exchange, though expensive, provide quality products.
4’’ was the thickness of the slabs.
Never had any problems with skin itching etc but if you’re concerned with health issues, you could try double wrapping.
Hope this helps.
Thank you.

Thanks for bringing this thread back. :)

I have been using these and found no issue of itching etc. Since I used two layers of fabric, I guess it is taken care to a good extent.

Please check out the other thread as well for tri corner bass traps (works and looks great) and on wall bass traps :

Did any of you also treat the side wall, first and second reflection points ? If so, what material, density and thickness ? Looking for feedback from folks who have actually built/used them.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back