Cosmic lovers and noobs

Hello folks

It's been a long hiatus and I happened to revisit the posts several years later..i will try pmc pass labs combo.
I recently heard the bw dm685 s2 bookshelves and heard the same mellow sound.
Ethan I am visiting mumbai and would love to meet up and hear your setup.
Call me on 9920653529 if you are available till the 13th of Oct 2017.

Vik
Send him PM, not everyone is active on the forum everytime, since the thread is old. If thread is not subscribed by him then , he should get mail for PM..
cheers

Re: Cosmic lovers and noobs - ethan

Hi Friends

I am trying to get in touch with ETHAN to help me get my amp fixed, anybody knows his contact address or mobile number ?

thanks

Peter

My first HiFi experience as a 3 or 4 year old was a Cosmic CD 100 Amplifier , Cosmic Covox 4500 speakers and a full logic Cosmic cassette player ( the most problematic unit ever the cassette deck) .... Nostalgic. The amp I believe still works!!!

I have heard the cosmic i think CO-60 amplifier connected to my then Sony SSS-440 FS speakers. They were mind blowing. Better than my Sony TA-AX44 amplifier by leap and bounds.

Cosmic co 60 was my first amp, 20 years ago. I still remember it's sound quality, particularly it's phono. I think cosmic used silicone transistors in this model.
Regards

Cosmic CO 60 with Arphi bookshelf speakers (with Bass radiator on top) made for each other in 1981 and the sound quality was worth as today's 2 lakh rupees system! Really that was a Golden time!
Yeaa the tight base which the speakers were having. I think their name was Arphi Meiro Monitor. I would love to see some pics of them if anyone is still having them.

A little off topic but thought I'll share these pics of another one which unfortunately had a shortish run in India (I think it was highly priced or perhaps was launched in the early 1980s when Philips was quite well established and HMV was seen as more of a budget brand) but was considered to be a good one. Its matching direct drive TT is still doing the rounds these days and the speakers appear on and off on sales pages:
EMI Sonic.jpg

Last edited:
Yeaa the tight base which the speakers were having. I think their name was Arphi Meiro Monitor. I would love to see some pics of them if anyone is still having them.
Arphi had 2 models with bass radiator

The micro monitor was 2 way, woofer, tweeter and bass radiator. Amazing sound

There was a rarer mini monitor, 3 way, woofer, mid, tweeter and bass radiator. I have seen the mini monitor only once, a single piece at a scrap shop, so did not buy

Arphi had 2 models with bass radiator

The micro monitor was 2 way, woofer, tweeter and bass radiator. Amazing sound

There was a rarer mini monitor, 3 way, woofer, mid, tweeter and bass radiator. I have seen the mini monitor only once, a single piece at a scrap shop, so did not buy
I think Arphi had a good range of speakers.

Micro Monitor. 2 way bass radiator
Mini Monitor. 3 way bass radiator
Super Challenger. 3 way
Orpheus. 12" with bass radiator
Aquarius. Dual 22"

Plus a patented small bookshelf that I've forgotten the name of

They have a new system in the works

I have seen this brochure, I am curious to visit Arphi's showroom to see this speakers and would love to but them

I have seen this brochure, I am curious to visit Arphi's showroom to see this speakers and would love to but them
I carefully had kept the brochure (folder) with photos for all the models of Arphi speakers, unfortunately I forgot the place where I put. I had owned the 'Micro Monitor'model. Unbelievable sound quality. I have seen the ad on OLX for sale. Please check. Thank you.

I carefully had kept the brochure (folder) with photos for all the models of Arphi speakers, unfortunately I forgot the place where I put. I had owned the 'Micro Monitor'model. Unbelievable sound quality. I have seen the ad on OLX for sale. Please check. Thank you.
If you ever find it, a scan would be most welcome. If you have any cosmic related literature that too!

My dad had the micro monitor, the sound was incredible. Now I own a pair of Arphi Super Challenger\

Micro Monitor. 2 way bass radiator
Mini Monitor. 3 way bass radiator
Super Challenger. 3 way
Orpheus. 12" with bass radiator
Aquarius. Dual 22"

Plus a patented small bookshelf that I've forgotten the name of

They have a new system in the works

Thanks for sharing this list. My uncle owned a pair of those humongous Arphi Orpheus speakers with external tweeters. I still fondly remember that thunderous sound all through the 80s!

I do am looking at it now, and it's transporting me away like no system ever has. Cosmic Nakamichi ex 750 tape deck. Far superior to the lab series IMHO

Hey!.... new member here and probably the youngest aged 16 anyway I'm an audio fanatic have several teac,akai reel to reels ,Ampex and zenith tube mono blocks,a badass Sansui Au 717 Along with a Tu 919 ,one Garrad 301,a Marantz model 30 and a nak 505 hooked up to 1970 pioneer cs 99a. The thing is that it is all in the pre amp design of the amp and how much lift it got .......for lower volumes I would prefer an amp with a loudness coupled pot so I can get the same punch as when listening at higher volumes... See that's what the manufacturers have left out In some amp they don't have a loudness coupled control that why you may find the cosmic more musical while your 5.1 is more dull and flat ......even though how good your amp is built it all boils down to the pre amp design of it....next in line comes the speakers I prefer vintage cause they have big woofers and eliminate a sub woofer that give that un natural bass and I prefer paper cones compared to kevelar cones that is the plastic ones .......I think this is a possible explanation why you miss your cosmic sound....
Thanks,
Ethan.
Hi Ethan , you still around if so drop a line 8459337904

Hello,

This the first ever forum I have joined and this is my first thread. What made me do this? It's a bit of a story....

In 1988 my father in a act of sudden generosity, decided to buy me a music system...(till then I had a old Toshiba cassette player and I used to listen to Doors Boney M , MJ etc....cranking it up and desperately wanting to "feel" the music) ... And so just cause someone knew someone at the Cosmic factory at Chakala we made the trek and had a look.
I was blown away by the very SERIOUS looking Lab 5000 and 6000 composites....but budget was a ever looming sword and I saw this tiny Cassette amplideck matched sonically to COVOX dragon speakers. The only thing that made me buy it was it had a exotic and " foreign" sounding Nakamichi label along with the Cosmic.

Fast forward to 16 years later...I now live in Toronto have a house and my own mancave in the basement. I have a 5.1 marantz system the NR 1604 with a ps3 source powering mission speakers. I , in addition have a Numark dj console as a preamp with rotel power amp denon CD player and a audiotechica turntable powering 2 technic floor stranding speakers.

Can anyone please tell me why my humble amplideck in India that's now not able to play cassettes that's even missing the power on button, simply KILLS my current set up as well as systems I have auditioned that go into several thousand dollars??

The soundstage is not perfect, I have a 10 x 10 bedroom in Mumbai and the speakers are mounted near the ceiling. The imaging is so so....but what I have NEVER since experienced is the absolute warmth the soul the timber of music.

I recently heard Ishq Sufiyana and got goose pimples.....I was hearing inflections small nuances little harkats on the percussion I had NEVER heard before despite listening to that number for over a hundred times across various systems.

I apologize for the rAmble....I just would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience and if indeed anyone owns the cosmic Nakamichi line of equipment.

Regards

Keenedge121
Here is a picture update

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back